U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

21,979 posts, read 23,450,133 times

Advertisements

There is no need to pressure the poor kid. That's bound to make it worse if he's sensing you are disappointed in his performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 431,556 times
It is likely that anxiety caused him to not know as many words. I taught for over thirty years and I can guarantee that all of us, including children, get mental blanks when we are overanxious.

The more of an issue you make of it, the more anxiety you are creating.

Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

44,815 posts, read 43,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
There is no need to pressure the poor kid. That's bound to make it worse if he's sensing you are disappointed in his performance.
I agree.

Stop taking it personally. It doesn't matter what the other kids got.

My youngest wouldn't read on his own until 2nd grade. It drove me nuts, but he was being stubborn. He finally did it when it mattered to him, and that was when he noticed his friends got to choose reading books from a different-colored shelf (more advanced) in the library than he did.

Once he noticed that, it motivated him, and he jumped several reading levels in a year.

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss helped.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

12,954 posts, read 7,835,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Testing in kindergarten is child abuse in my book.
How then do you suggest teachers measure a child's progress? How should they determine what a child needs help with if they're not able to assess what they already know?

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,916,920 times
They shouldn't have to study ahead of time at that age. That being said, my child was diagnosed with dyslexia at age 6. She would not have been able to recognize those words at that age--she could barely match sounds to letters in kindergarten--and she loathed trying to do it. A test like that would have absolutely stressed her out! She went to a special elementary school for dyslexic kids for three years. She is now a thriving middle schooler--she doesn't love reading, but she does very well in regular school with no issues.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

440 posts, read 100,079 times
We’re not pressuring him. We’re not the ones assigning homework and giving tests. We are doing what the teacher assigned. I have calmed down about it. We spent all week going over the words then got the news at 3pm that he only knew 3 of them with her. We didn’t say anything to him about it really. Just asked how the teacher presented the words to him etc. we also are telling him he’s doing great. We do want him to enjoy learning. I didn’t think the homework and test crap would be happening in kindergarten tho.

I understand there are ways to see where kids are but aren’t there ways to do that through homework and classwork rather than send an email to parents saying ok everyone I am testing your kids on Friday on these sight words. She referred to it as a test.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

9,986 posts, read 5,983,982 times
If you think the homework and the testing are stupid then take neither seriously. Your son is five. What he did today in regards to the sight words and the test is totally normal. The sight words didnít stick. Thatís totally normal at his age.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

1,324 posts, read 488,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
DH emailed the teacher asking for more details on what happened. He told her that he finds it ‘alarming’ that our son knew the words with us but basically failed with her. I was like omg you really used the word alarming to describe this situation. I admit I’m a little concerned but apparently DH is fuming. The teacher said my son was trying to spell the words which he didn’t need to do and was taking longer than three to five seconds to recognize the words. He was able to recognize them with us tonight. We even spelled a few words out loud while driving and he knew the words. The teacher is going to go over the words with him again Monday.
Stop.
Just STOP!

If you think that your son is oblivious to your bizarre anxiety over this nothing burger you are mistaken.
And it will be YOU TWO who will have failed the test, not him!

Old Today, 01:02 AM

7,327 posts, read 4,080,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
testing in kindergarten is child abuse in my book.
this!!

Old Today, 02:19 AM

7,377 posts, read 4,077,042 times
Relax! Kindergarten is not a competition.

When you're driving your kid to school you should be talking about what a beautiful day it is and how he'll be having fun, not cramming for his MCAT to get into medical school. Certainly nothing for anyone to get "alarmed" about. And, as others have said, your kid definitely knows how important this is to you and his father - give him some space to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or