U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:50 AM

7,332 posts, read 4,080,742 times

Advertisements

He must have just been too anxious and stressed about it all. Try to relax and not make too big a deal over it. I guarantee that by the time he's finished 1st grade he'll know many words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:43 AM

1,205 posts, read 293,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Testing in kindergarten is child abuse in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
this!!
Uh huh...

Because it's ideal when a kindergarten teacher doesn't know how each of her 24 students is progressing?

And nothing is better than placing a child in first grade when neither the administration nor any of the first grade teachers have any idea where the child is in ... well, in anything?

There's nothing wrong with testing. On the other hand, if people like you make a big deal out of it and whip up as much anxiety as possible in children, that's wrong.

Old Today, 06:53 AM

10,944 posts, read 14,677,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
He must have just been too anxious and stressed about it all. Try to relax and not make too big a deal over it. I guarantee that by the time he's finished 1st grade he'll know many words.
Or he was bored, uninterested, or just plain didn't feel cooperative. I've been told by a teacher or two that one or the other of my kids just 'didn't try' sometimes when they were quite young.
Ever watch a 5yr old in the outfield at a t-ball game, more interested in the growing grass than whatever is going on in the game? Sometimes they approach school the same way, THEY don't always care what a test is, let alone how well they perform. At that age it's mostly the grownups who put the big emphasis on 'testing'.

Old Today, 07:36 AM

7,104 posts, read 3,908,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Uh huh...

Because it's ideal when a kindergarten teacher doesn't know how each of her 24 students is progressing?

And nothing is better than placing a child in first grade when neither the administration nor any of the first grade teachers have any idea where the child is in ... well, in anything?

There's nothing wrong with testing. On the other hand, if people like you make a big deal out of it and whip up as much anxiety as possible in children, that's wrong.
There's plenty wrong with testing. Primarily because so many in this country don't know what testing means and abuse the heck out of it. Testing should be merely a gauge of where you are relative to the material. A source of information for the teacher on what to focus on. Instead testing has become about your total worth as a human being; a measure not of how well you understand, but a measure of how you compare to other people. Are you better than everyone else? Just average? Or are you a failure? You FAILED. YOU AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH! That's the message testing sends these days.

Pretty much every kid in kindergarten will spend the next 17 years in terror of the next test. Doesn't matter what subject or how well they know the material, that next test will end their future entirely. Spoiled brats. Don't they know that school isn't about fun. Or learning. It's about constantly being judged and found wanting. It's about passing the test. Just need to learn enough, long enough to pass the test. Then dump that and get ready for the next test.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,568,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
We’re not pressuring him. We’re not the ones assigning homework and giving tests.
With all kindness intended, you are going to need to find a way to relax about this and learn to go with the flow of school. Your kid has been in kindergarten for what, a month? Homework of learning some sight words and the teacher assessing if he knows the sight words is not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
We spent all week going over the words then got the news at 3pm that he only knew 3 of them with her.
Sometimes kids get nervous and don't do as well in a different setting. Maybe he was distracted and wanted to go out to the playground. Or, you may have been unknowingly allowing him more leeway at home than is actually okay during the testing protocol. The only way the teacher can assess where they are throughout the year is to check in.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

15,556 posts, read 8,900,169 times
Do you think your hours of practice made him nervous over this? He will have MANY tests - he will need to learn on his own and prepare for tests on his own - WITHOUT your anxiety as an extra for him to worry about.

You tell and show him it is important to LEARN and express the joy of learning by showing how you learn new things - you don't stress his testing success or he'll become some perfectionist afraid to try anything unless he can get 100% to please you. Don't eff this up for him.

Old Today, 08:25 AM

12,959 posts, read 7,835,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do you think your hours of practice made him nervous over this? He will have MANY tests - he will need to learn on his own and prepare for tests on his own - WITHOUT your anxiety as an extra for him to worry about.
That's what I was wondering too. The parents of my students are expected to work on certain things with their kids, but I would hate to hear the parents were drilling the kids on these things each night. It should be something that happens more organically, or should be fun for the kid.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

12,959 posts, read 7,835,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There's plenty wrong with testing. Primarily because so many in this country don't know what testing means...
You're right, plenty don't seem to know what testing means. In kindergarten, its a way to assess the students current knowledge and track their growth. Its nothing for parents to get stressed out over.

I think it was a mistake for the teacher to announce the assessment to the parents. Drilling a kid on sight words for a week so that he can "pass" the assessment isn't showing his current growth. These are things he should be learning over weeks or months. If he doesn't know some, that's fine. He's only been in kindergarten for a little over a month or so. He's not expected to have mastered everything yet.

Old Today, 08:40 AM

443 posts, read 100,079 times
Yeah I agree on the testing thing at this stage and in general. People’s intelligence is based on how well they do on these tests regardless of what other talents they might have. Kind of sad. People who have kids who do well in school are lucky. Plenty of kids do not do well in school and it dictates the outcome of the rest of their lives. You never hear of doctors who did poorly at any point in school. They were always the brilliant ones even in pre school.

Old Today, 09:01 AM

4,868 posts, read 3,844,255 times
I'm 72 years old. Most kids I knew back then didn't go to kindergarten - it was more of an upper middle class thing (at least, it was in my town). I entered first grade with an 8th grade reading average - not because I went to kindergarten, but because my parents and grandparents read to us and helped us develop a lifelong love of reading and learning. I have multiple Master's degrees and had a couple of successful career paths before retirement.

The notion that kids need kindergarten for success is absurd. Let kids enjoy being kids, and make learning fun for them rather than something they have to do to avoid that look of disappointment on their parents' faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or