U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:02 AM

12,964 posts, read 7,842,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yeah I agree on the testing thing at this stage and in general. Peopleís intelligence is based on how well they do on these tests regardless of what other talents they might have. Kind of sad. People who have kids who do well in school are lucky. Plenty of kids do not do well in school and it dictates the outcome of the rest of their lives. You never hear of doctors who did poorly at any point in school. They were always the brilliant ones even in pre school.
Stop!

He just started kindergarten. Do not label him as a bad student in his first month of schooling. These are things your kid can pick up on. Don't discourage him before he's even really started school.

And who honestly knows how their doctor did in elementary school or even preschool? Who even cares what sight words their doctor knew in kindergarten or how high they could count in preschool? It doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 09:34 AM

21,671 posts, read 12,313,482 times
Congratulations OP, you are a month into your child's educational experience and you and your husband have firmly established yourselves as "those parents." You should probably start saving now for the psychological counseling your son is going to need because of this absurd pressure you are putting on him

Old 10-05-2019, 09:48 AM

9,999 posts, read 5,989,984 times
This ďtestĒ isnít going to go on his permanent record. Itís a way for your childís teacher to gauge where heís at. Thatís all it is, nothing more nothing less. Relax.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:55 AM

17,714 posts, read 17,979,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's what I was wondering too. The parents of my students are expected to work on certain things with their kids, but I would hate to hear the parents were drilling the kids on these things each night. It should be something that happens more organically, or should be fun for the kid.
When I was a new teacher I taught in a Birth to Three Year Old program/school for children with special needs. During a home visit I suggested to a parent that they do more fine motor activities with their 2 1/2 year old at home (who had slight motor delays) to help build his skills. I mentioned fun things like squeezing & rolling Play Dough, very simple puzzles & nesting toys, busy box type toys with large buttons and levers, finger painting, etc.

However, in class I noticed that child start to cry and was reluctant to do some of the same activities that he had enjoyed previously. I discovered that the parent was locking him in a high chair and demanding that he practice those fine motor skills for an hour or two at a time. Remember this was a toddler.

Man, oh, man this was my first experience with one of "those parents" and it really taught me a lesson. After that I was very careful to say things like "Have fun with your child finger painting for ten minutes, or as long as they are interested." or "Get down on the floor and show your child how to stack/nest the nesting toy. Play with them and have fun together".

It is great to practice school readiness skills as long as it is a fun, natural activity and not a pressure filled drill.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:20 AM

445 posts, read 103,527 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Congratulations OP, you are a month into your child's educational experience and you and your husband have firmly established yourselves as "those parents." You should probably start saving now for the psychological counseling your son is going to need because of this absurd pressure you are putting on him
Thanks. Appreciate it. Great profiling skills you have

Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 AM

9,999 posts, read 5,989,984 times
Quote:
Thanks. Appreciate it. Great profiling skills you have
I suspect she was basing it on this post:
Quote:
DH emailed the teacher asking for more details on what happened. He told her that he finds it Ďalarmingí that our son knew the words with us but basically failed with her. I was like omg you really used the word alarming to describe this situation. I admit Iím a little concerned but apparently DH is fuming. The teacher said my son was trying to spell the words which he didnít need to do and was taking longer than three to five seconds to recognize the words. He was able to recognize them with us tonight. We even spelled a few words out loud while driving and he knew the words. The teacher is going to go over the words with him again Monday.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM

79,873 posts, read 72,541,823 times
Quote:
So today my son was tested on some sight words. We got the words last Friday and have been practicing them all week. He knew them with us the only words he confused a bit were in and is. We found out from the teacher that he only knew 3 of the words when tested today with her.

DH and I feel frustrated. I anticipated something like this would happen but we did our best with learning and he knew them with us then flubbed with the teacher. In a completely different environment and with a different person and who knows what else was going on his 5 yr old brain. I feel a bit dismayed. He is a bright boy, has an extensive vocabulary, but he will be judged on these 10 words that he didnít know with this teacher.

Is it too early to worry?
Anxiety, is my guess. Stress hormones can trip up even adult test-takers.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:12 PM

1,326 posts, read 490,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Uh huh...

Because it's ideal when a kindergarten teacher doesn't know how each of her 24 students is progressing?

And nothing is better than placing a child in first grade when neither the administration nor any of the first grade teachers have any idea where the child is in ... well, in anything?

There's nothing wrong with testing. On the other hand, if people like you make a big deal out of it and whip up as much anxiety as possible in children, that's wrong.
When you are in kindergarten you are not a student yet.
Your primary job is to play nicely and socialize with peers in preparation for school.
Most four and five year olds are at the edge of babyhood and are not yet to the age of reason.
Don't you see that?

If not, then why not test pre-k 'students'?
And, uh, daycare 'students'.
Let's not not forget the under served 'early toddler student' population either, right?

Sidebar: What exactly is wrong with first grade teachers not having advanced academic information on each child in her newly minted class? Kindergarten is a relatively recent phenomenon which, IMO has done absolutely nothing to advance either the intellect or character of recent cohorts exiting the educational system in America today. It's real function is to support the two earner household.

Feel free to disagree.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:29 PM

44,845 posts, read 43,323,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

Kindergarten is a relatively recent phenomenon ...
"Recent" as in the 1800s???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
...which, IMO has done absolutely nothing to advance either the intellect or character of recent cohorts exiting the educational system in America today. It's real function is to support the two earner household.

Feel free to disagree.
Okay.

"But a new study suggests the concerns about academic rigor in early grades may be overblown. It finds that students in kindergarten classes with more academic content not only show higher math and reading ability, they don’t do any worse — and in some cases do better — on social-emotional metrics like self-control, focus, and behavior."

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/us/2...rgarten-study/

Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM

4,874 posts, read 3,847,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"But a new study suggests the concerns about academic rigor in early grades may be overblown. It finds that students in kindergarten classes with more academic content not only show higher math and reading ability, they donít do any worse ó and in some cases do better ó on social-emotional metrics like self-control, focus, and behavior."
Near the end of the article we have this:

Quote:
Guddemi is also skeptical that tests are very good measures of what students know, especially at such a young age ó or that those scores matter as students grow older. Studies frequently show that learning gains students make in pre-K fade out as students progress through school.
Parents who value learning, make it enjoyable for their children and model it through their own behavior will produce adults with a life long passion for education - not kindergarten classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or