U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 11,464 times

Advertisements

How long did it take for your kiddo to see an improvement with wetting the bed using a alarm?

We are trying an alarm with my oldest, 9 year old son, and are on night 11. He still sleeps right thru the alarm, itís on the loudest setting and vibrates. I have started sleeping in his room so I can wake him up as soon as I hear the alarm. He is very hard to wake up. Me, my husband, and him are all super tired from being woken up every night to try to get is bed wetting under control. We also switched him from diapers to pull ups, goodnites, and now underjams which are also leaking every time. By the time I get him awake his bedding is already soaked. I donít want to give up but we are all so tired grumpy and discouraged. My son is so tired of the wet sheets and having to get up every night, last night he was crying before bed because he hates that he wets the bed and hates the pull ups because they leak. Just not sure how long to keep this up before taking a break, letting him get some sleep, and trying again later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 PM

44,906 posts, read 43,419,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post
How long did it take for your kiddo to see an improvement with wetting the bed using a alarm?

We are trying an alarm with my oldest, 9 year old son, and are on night 11. He still sleeps right thru the alarm, itís on the loudest setting and vibrates. I have started sleeping in his room so I can wake him up as soon as I hear the alarm. He is very hard to wake up. Me, my husband, and him are all super tired from being woken up every night to try to get is bed wetting under control. We also switched him from diapers to pull ups, goodnites, and now underjams which are also leaking every time. By the time I get him awake his bedding is already soaked. I donít want to give up but we are all so tired grumpy and discouraged. My son is so tired of the wet sheets and having to get up every night, last night he was crying before bed because he hates that he wets the bed and hates the pull ups because they leak. Just not sure how long to keep this up before taking a break, letting him get some sleep, and trying again later.
At this point, considering his age, you probably should take him to a sleep clinic.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 PM

4,579 posts, read 1,849,604 times
what worked for us:
no liquid after 8PM.
(water, whatever)

Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 AM

479 posts, read 169,249 times
im going to say he is too old to consider this "normal bedwetting". Either he has a sleep issue or he has a growth issue. For example, my 15 year old stepson wet the bed until he was 10 or 11 and it was due to an underdeveloped Pineal gland which regulates sleep patterns. He outgrew it with puberty. My niece wet the bed until she was 9 due to an small "sac" in her bladder that she couldnt empty on her own. It would only void after she was asleep and completely relaxed. she also grew out of that on her own, but my aunt who had the same issue had to have surgery. Children aged 9 are capable of regulating their urine output through the night so as not to wet the bed unless there are other issues

Old 10-09-2019, 09:06 AM

17,737 posts, read 18,022,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
At this point, considering his age, you probably should take him to a sleep clinic.
I agree.

In the mean time, also consider using incontinence liners (maybe those pads that adult men use) inside the incontinence underwear (diapers). So there is extra absorbency. Or try other sizes or types of diapers to find ones that don't leak.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 AM

47 posts, read 24,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This is excellent advice. Being familiar with a very similar situation, the alarm did absolutely nothing, and never got better. The kid simply did not/could not wake up. We suspected a sleep disorder of some kind, but this was years ago when there weren't the resources to explore that avenue.

I have also recently read that when we sleep, our body secretes some type of hormone that inhibits the production of urine. I suspect a problem here may be applicable in some cases. Of course, that is also for a doctor to determine. Not likely the average pediatrician would be overly knowledgeable in this area... perhaps a urologist?

This is the type of thing where you need to find the right doctor to properly diagnose.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:42 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,528,971 times
I agree that a doctor's visit might be in order. I had 2 of my 3 kids wet the bed into elementary school. It runs in our family, as 4 of the 5 of us (my siblings and I) wet the bed until at least 2nd grade. My youngest brother wet the bed until 4th grade.

My oldest grew out of it around age 8 1/2, my youngest around age 7 1/2, and my middle child never wet the bed after becoming potty trained.

I would stop the alarm and I'd consider a doctor's visit. This is putting a lot of stress and anxiety on your son, and preventing the whole family from getting sleep. None of those things is great. It could still be a maturity thing, but he's at the age where it might be more than that.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 PM

17 posts, read 11,464 times
Thanks for the reply’s. His pediatrician is well aware of the issue and due to being a hereditary trait on DH side he’s not worried about it. But I am going to ask him about the sleep study. I haven’t heard of that. He did prescribe us DDAVP he can use for sleepovers and such but due to the side effects I don’t like it. I just got done putting the kids to bed and he cried again tonight asking for his old diapers instead of the pull-ups that leak. I feel so bad for him. I told him we were going to keep trying till Friday, if still no improvement by Friday we would stop with the alarm and underjams.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM

44,906 posts, read 43,419,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post

His pediatrician is well aware of the issue and due to being a hereditary trait on DH side heís not worried about it. .
This doesn't sound right. ^^^

Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 538,830 times
Nothing worked. He just had to outgrow it. My middle was about 10.5. Pediatrician certainly checked him for any medical causes but nothing was ever found. It’s on the late side but isn’t usually a serious medical problem. My other kids stopped wetting by 3 so he was our outlier, but once it stopped it completely stopped.

FWIW these worked better than anything else for him. Too bad they are so hard to get now

https://www.amazon.com/GoodNites-Und...ites+tr&sr=8-3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting