U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:17 AM

6,501 posts, read 5,590,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
It's a mixture at our house. We have a few kits that are still complete and sitting on a shelf (Leaning Tower of Pisa, Space Needle... things like that). Then we have a bunch of kits from when our son was younger that are in various stages of completion. Most were complete at some point, but have been broken down into chunks or individual pieces and are in a big plastic bin. Those were mostly younger kid subject matter - Ninjago and others whose names I can't recall.

Ultimately, I'd like to break them ALL down, box them up and donate them somewhere. Son's school occasionally asks for Lego donations, so that's likely where they'll end up. Good winter project.
I know what you mean about all those little pieces! Oldest grandson (almost 6) has several unassembled kits in boxes, and some kits assembled and on his dresser...the "London" skyline, "Harry Potter and Aragog" and the "Space Shuttle". He still sometimes likes to play with the Duplo's he says he's "too big for" and handed down to his little brother. Recently he built what he called the "Great Hotel" out of Duplo's on his Lego table. He has two big plastic bins of Duplo's, and used every one. It had THREE stories with stairs, a pizza restaurant (from the Pizza Restaurant Duplo kit), a playground with a sliding board (from the Playground Duplo kit), bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. There are Duplos that pass for toilets. That Friday morning, he left for school, and his little brother got after it (and wrecked it). DD, his mom, hates disorder and has to have everything tidy before she leaves for work, so she picked up all the Duplo's and put them back in their bins. When oldest grandson got home from school late in the afternoon, he had a meltdown when he found the "Great Hotel" gone. He was still crying about it when I got to his house later that evening.

I calmed him down and told him that the next day (Saturday), we'd rebuild the "Great Hotel" together and make it even better. We did...and he ended up wrecking it himself in a pretend "tornado".

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-10-2019 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:47 PM

9,966 posts, read 10,975,393 times
It's a mix.

When I first introduced my kids to lego's, I built a large lego play table that rolled under the bed. The middle had green plates and road plates for building a city, and the ends had storage for the various lego components. When we purchased them a $15-20 lego car, they would build it and play with it in their city. Sometimes the car would survive for a few months, other times it would get broken and the pieces would go back to the communal pot.

With more expensive kits, they went on a shelf to be played with from time to time. When they sat for a while and got old, we would take them apart and put them in a Tupperware bin with the directions and seal it and not open it or raid it for parts. 6 months later or so it would get rebuilt.

My kits (Yes, I buy myself some of the "cooler" lego kits, like the Creator Mustang, stay in the box and never get open. Some day I might.

BTW, loose lego bricks are sold by the pound on ebay. Take a look if you are considering getting rid of some of the bricks you have.

Old Today, 05:43 PM

1,427 posts, read 3,708,112 times
My gramma (Oma) was German as was my momma. We... or I should point out my brother, got Legos for Christmas from the 70s on. My kids (oldest now 25) recieved my (and both my brothers) legos, added his own, then my bonus kids had legos..... we are a large Lego household. My middle.... ke neverr debuilt any project. He is now in college and I had the chore of demolition of every Lego kit he built.... and he was really into legos. I now have an emotional attachment to 3 VERY LARGE rubbermaid containers of legos.
All that to say, they do get built, and even if kept for more than a decade, eventually they will be destroyed unless superglue is involved.

Old Today, 06:49 PM

17,848 posts, read 18,177,469 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. The different styles was very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting