U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 11:43 AM

23,581 posts, read 30,214,857 times

Advertisements

It's a real irritation to me all the ads where children are behaving badly and instead of discipline, the parent stuffs junk food into their mouths to make them stop.

There's one now where the kids are rewarded with potato chips for bad behavior in the car and there have been several where the misbehaving kids are rewarded for their behavior by getting fast food. Nothing reinforces bad behavior like a nice desirable reward.

Stop and invest some effort into getting your kids under control. Rewards are for good behavior. If you use nice treats as bribes for bad behavior, you are going to get more bad behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 12:14 PM

11,287 posts, read 21,247,980 times
A lot of parents are pretty absent-minded or distracted by their phones and don't seem to notice when the kids are tired or hungry. I think most of the time when kids are behaving badly, at least little kids, it's because their needs aren't being met. So a commercial showing parents feeding kids who are acting up because they need something makes sense to me.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:07 PM

491 posts, read 88,328 times
It's just busy work..to get the Rugrats out of your hair

Old 11-10-2019, 10:56 AM

1,570 posts, read 393,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's a real irritation to me all the ads where children are behaving badly and instead of discipline, the parent stuffs junk food into their mouths to make them stop.

There's one now where the kids are rewarded with potato chips for bad behavior in the car and there have been several where the misbehaving kids are rewarded for their behavior by getting fast food. Nothing reinforces bad behavior like a nice desirable reward.

Stop and invest some effort into getting your kids under control. Rewards are for good behavior. If you use nice treats as bribes for bad behavior, you are going to get more bad behavior.
Advertising agencies exist to move product.

Anyone who takes parenting cues from a Doritos commercial isn't going to magically become a good parent if Doritos stops running commercials.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 AM

56 posts, read 3,761 times
Some child don't misbehave dont know why but they are always living in some other world like my champ he is so possessive that he will not misbehave with their friends or with me or with their Grand parents.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:41 AM

4,215 posts, read 1,855,880 times
Sadly, parent use rewards simply because they don't understand discipline, what it is and how to do it. It doesn't mean getting control of your children. I truly believe that if parents knew better, they would do better for the simple fact that disciplined people are generally happy and if a parent felt that happiness, they would want the same for their child.

Old Today, 11:12 AM

12,930 posts, read 15,798,259 times
it's an easy way out to temporarily control your misbehaving child...it certainly won't stop their bad behavior..might even get worse if you give them junk food to shut them up.

Old Today, 11:17 AM

12,930 posts, read 15,798,259 times
where I live the more badly behaved an adult is, the more they are "rewarded" with free food, free housing, free high quality drugs, free childcare..free clothing...among many other free "services" denied to adults behaving responsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting