U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 AM

7,531 posts, read 4,409,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
More time with the driving instructor.

I turned into a terrible nervous wreck and could not ride with my sons when they were learning. It shocked me how the nervousness came over me, and my sons felt it as well. It made THEM more nervous.

I don't think you should teach her. Let her learn with the instructor.
I will call Monday to see how much it will be to pay for more time with the instructor. I agree that I shouldn’t be teaching her but I am not really finding anyone to take her as well. Fiancé let’s he drive some when he picks her up and she does fine with him. My brother took her out and he bailed because she is terrible.

My dad went out with her one day, but he is half blind and deaf. So other than being a licensed driver, I am not sure if he was a benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I hope you're not PO'd at him for that. Frankly, it's the best reaction he could have had in the situation.
Nope not mad. I just asked him to return with something I could eat. We have no milk in the house and I have been battling major food allergies so living off things like cereal and yogurt, which we have none of in the house. But I won’t die if he doesn’t.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:30 AM

45,589 posts, read 43,853,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

My brother took her out and he bailed because she is terrible.
Are people saying this ^^^ in front of her, even as a joke? Does she know you all think she is a terrible driver?

Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Are people saying this ^^^ in front of her, even as a joke? Does she know you all think she is a terrible driver?
No. We keep telling her she is doing fine and building her up.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 AM

47,099 posts, read 37,914,413 times
Wow.

OK one thing that popped out to me is that apparently the truck is registered to you. I'm assuming that your name is on the loan, am I right? Meaning that you're the one with good credit and your fiance's credit sucks. Is that a fair assessment?

And you have loaned out the car you drive regularly to a friend who doesn't have a car to get to work.

And you're living with this fiance and your 15 year old daughter - and he's driving the truck that's in your name. I sure hope he's driving to work. Do you work outside the home? If so, how are you going to get to work? If not - well, he really DOES need to get to work because someone needs to pay for more instructor driving lessons for your daughter.

If y'all break up, and the truck is in your name, who is going to keep it and keep up the loan payments? Just curious.

And as the mother of four adult kids who all had to learn how to drive - listen, we weren't wealthy, not by a long shot - but after riding around for one afternoon with my oldest child when she was 15, I decided right then and there that I was going to "hire this out." I was too nervous and like others have said, this tends to make the driver more nervous too.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:35 AM

1,959 posts, read 918,800 times
Quote:
Fiancé is mine and daughter is 15. The get their learners permit at 15 and can’t get their actual drivers license until 16 1/2. She drives the truck with him. Apparently she drives terrible with me.

I previously discussed getting a cheap used car for her to drive on but the insurance agent said to let her drive what we already own because it would be so much cheaper than insuring another vehicle. I guess he didn’t think she would do $10k in damage in the first couple weeks of driving. My car is not really cheap either so not sure I want her driving it now either.

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down. I am also considering paying for additional drive time with the driving school instructor. They get 6 hours included.

I think teenagers driving is worse than teenagers dating. We were out last night and a toddler dropped his drink and the mother was flipping out. I just said to her to enjoy these moments. This is the easy stuff. She is going to blink and he will be wrecking a $59k truck....

My parents are no help either. My mom said she literally drove with me twice on the road and I was good to go. I have yet to cause an accident. Maybe it was because I grew up driving atvs, tractors and farm trucks, but I was never this terrible at driving. She almost hit a car head on the last weekend in my car.

She wants to learn and very eager to drive everywhere. But how do you build up their skill before they wreck cars or kill someone. She does amazing driving in neighborhoods and empty parking lots.
She's not old enough to drive a rental, and would not be an authorized driver.

If she can't stay focused on driving, then she needs to be staying in parking lots. If she sees a friend, she needs to ignore them. If she's distracted by seeing friends as she drives by, she will probably be texting while driving when she is alone, because she will be thinking that she has to respond immediately to a text.

Honestly, I would wait until she's 17 to learn to drive. She's not mature enough now, and has a good chance to end up in multiple accidents.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 AM

13,056 posts, read 7,927,571 times
Quote:

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down.
I doubt this would be allowed in your rental contract. Considering that she is likely to cause an accident or wreck the car, don't let her drive the rental. That could end up costing you a lot if something were to happen.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:55 AM

11,486 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Fiancé is mine and daughter is 15. The get their learners permit at 15 and can’t get their actual drivers license until 16 1/2. She drives the truck with him. Apparently she drives terrible with me.

I previously discussed getting a cheap used car for her to drive on but the insurance agent said to let her drive what we already own because it would be so much cheaper than insuring another vehicle. I guess he didn’t think she would do $10k in damage in the first couple weeks of driving. My car is not really cheap either so not sure I want her driving it now either.

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down. I am also considering paying for additional drive time with the driving school instructor. They get 6 hours included.

I think teenagers driving is worse than teenagers dating. We were out last night and a toddler dropped his drink and the mother was flipping out. I just said to her to enjoy these moments. This is the easy stuff. She is going to blink and he will be wrecking a $59k truck....

My parents are no help either. My mom said she literally drove with me twice on the road and I was good to go. I have yet to cause an accident. Maybe it was because I grew up driving atvs, tractors and farm trucks, but I was never this terrible at driving. She almost hit a car head on the last weekend in my car.

She wants to learn and very eager to drive everywhere. But how do you build up their skill before they wreck cars or kill someone. She does amazing driving in neighborhoods and empty parking lots.
She's not allowed to drive the rental on a permit.

As for your fiance, he will get over it. You really should not be driving with her if she's that bad with you. I paid an instructor to teach my son but he's very coordinated. My daughter had her friends teach her.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow.

OK one thing that popped out to me is that apparently the truck is registered to you. I'm assuming that your name is on the loan, am I right? Meaning that you're the one with good credit and your fiance's credit sucks. Is that a fair assessment?

And you have loaned out the car you drive regularly to a friend who doesn't have a car to get to work.

And you're living with this fiance and your 15 year old daughter - and he's driving the truck that's in your name. I sure hope he's driving to work. Do you work outside the home? If so, how are you going to get to work? If not - well, he really DOES need to get to work because someone needs to pay for more instructor driving lessons for your daughter.

If y'all break up, and the truck is in your name, who is going to keep it and keep up the loan payments? Just curious.

And as the mother of four adult kids who all had to learn how to drive - listen, we weren't wealthy, not by a long shot - but after riding around for one afternoon with my oldest child when she was 15, I decided right then and there that I was going to "hire this out." I was too nervous and like others have said, this tends to make the driver more nervous too.
Truck is registered to me. He doesn’t have bad credit, it’s more like no credit. Unfortunately he followed the Dave Ramsey preachings and pays cash for everything.

Friend has a car but it broke down and is in the shop. She is a single mom of four kids, works as an RN and currently going through stage 4 cancer treatments for the second time in 3 years. She works the weekend and then does treatments during the week. She should have her car back tomorrow.

He drives a company truck for work so I drove his Friday and this weekend. I do work outside the home during the week. But I am also on call all the time so work from home also. If we broke up he would either continue paying for it or I would keep it, sell my truck and drive his.

Yup, I am calling the driving school on Monday to get additional driving time.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 4,932,853 times
Here's some food for thought...

- Don't buy $60k new trucks in the first place.

- Never train 15-yr-olds in new expensive vehicles.

- Having insurance doesn't mean there is no cost when you have a wreck. Besides deductibles, there is diminished value and increased premiums.

- Your insurance agent is an idiot. Get a cheap car to train her in. Cheap enough you only need liability coverage. Once licensed, she'll need something other than a $60 truck to drive anyway. If not, then sell it.

- Telling her she is doing ok when she really isn't is not doing her any favors. She's not going to take it any more seriously than you do. Her built-up esteem won't protect her in a head-on accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting