U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 12:28 PM

17,819 posts, read 18,155,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
So your daughter almost hit another car head on last weekend and then you let her drive your fiancée's 59K truck instead? What about the head on incident didn't give you a clue that she needed more training?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
She's not old enough to drive a rental, and would not be an authorized driver.

If she can't stay focused on driving, then she needs to be staying in parking lots. If she sees a friend, she needs to ignore them. If she's distracted by seeing friends as she drives by, she will probably be texting while driving when she is alone, because she will be thinking that she has to respond immediately to a text.

Honestly, I would wait until she's 17 to learn to drive. She's not mature enough now, and has a good chance to end up in multiple accidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
She almost caused a head on collision and now, due completely to inattentiveness, she went off the road. She's not doing fine. Tell her you'll reevaulate next year to see if she's mature enough to handle it. It sounds like you live in a rural area, and I get that it will be more convenient for you if she has a license, but she's not ready to drive. And if you'll hand her the keys to a giant truck when she has demonstrated no ability to drive at all, she does not belong on the road.

Let your fiance cool off and then tell him how completely wrong you were for letting her drive his car.
Great posts.

I agree that she seems too immature to be practicing on busy roads. Continue to have her practice in empty parking lots and quiet residential streets but wait a few months before you take her out on other roads. And, every time that she has an accident or a near miss have her practice a few months more months in empty parking lots and quiet, empty roads before allowing her on busier streets. Just, imagine if she would have killed herself and/or you and/or an innocent family during the near miss head-on crash. Also, make sure that you have substantial car insurance and possible a large umbrella policy just in case something bad happens.

Also, before she gets her license be sure that she practices at night and in all types of weather conditions. I have a relative who had a serious car accident (both cars totaled but no one hurt) the very first night that he had his driver's license. His parents realized that he had never practiced driving at night.

Now, our state requires a specific number of hours driving at night to get your license. And, you also have to have practiced in all weather conditions (snow, rain, etc.)

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-10-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 01:01 PM

902 posts, read 1,482,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Truck is registered to me. He doesn’t have bad credit, it’s more like no credit. Unfortunately he followed the Dave Ramsey preachings and pays cash for everything.

He drives a company truck for work so I drove his Friday and this weekend. I do work outside the home during the week. But I am also on call all the time so work from home also. If we broke up he would either continue paying for it or I would keep it, sell my truck and drive his.

Yup, I am calling the driving school on Monday to get additional driving time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
She's not ready to drive. She can take the bus to school. Try again the summer before college.

I assume that she is covered under your insurance, because if you are insured, and you are letting your daughter, who has a permit, drive under your supervision, you may be able to get your own insurance to cover it. So if your insurance will cover it, you pay the deductible and get it fixed under your insurance. If it has to be under the boyfriend's insurance, you pay the deductible. It's the least you can do. What he decides to do with it after the repair is his business.

Yes, she needs to learn how to drive. Someday. But not now. She's just too immature to understand the responsibilities of driving, and she clearly doesn't yet have the ability to focus on the road in front of her, ALL the time. Honestly, if you were in the car with her, you should have been watching her like a hawk, and should have corrected the veer the instant it started. If you weren't paying close attention, then yes, you are not the one to teach her to drive.

And I agree, letting a teenager drive someone else's car is foolish.

Your statements don't make a lot of sense. If he follows Dave Ramsey, then how is he "paying" for the truck? You don't take out loans for vehicles, or get vehicle you can't pay cash for. If he pays cash for everything, then how is he still paying for the truck? Either he paid cash for it or he didn't.

I also wanted to second Parentologist's post. I didn't get my license until 17 and that without crashing people's cars. I can't imagine crashing my dad's car at 15 and him letting me continue to drive.

Giving her a year off, or at least until next summer, and trying again when she is older sounds like what a responsible parent would do.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 359,965 times
Definitely not mature enough to drive. When we taught our kids we bought a junky car for them and put the insurance in their name. That way if they had a accident it didn’t drive up our rates.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:43 PM

11,544 posts, read 8,799,423 times
I'm glad insurance is fixing it. Still won't be the same as it was.

For what it's worth I was with my Driver's Ed teacher, got distracted (waving at someone) and would have rear- ended a cat if there wasn't a brake pedal on the passenger side.
I'm pretty sure I learned my lesson that day about being distracted.

Hopefully your daughter's learned.
Maybe she can figure out some hours she can work for him...

Old 11-10-2019, 01:49 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,036,660 times
The latest chapter in the on-going soap opera...….

Old 11-10-2019, 03:15 PM

7,531 posts, read 4,409,828 times
He is still not happy but we worked it out that if the truck is not the same after it is fixed, I will sell the car I drive now and will just drive the truck going forward. My brother has stepped up and said he will take my daughter in my sister in laws car, which is little more managed and has 150,000 miles on it.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Definitely not mature enough to drive. When we taught our kids we bought a junky car for them and put the insurance in their name. That way if they had a accident it didn’t drive up our rates.
I tried to do that and the agent said we would be paying out the nose for insurance with a third vehicle. He said to utilize this time that she is free until She gets her actual license next July.

I have been looking for something today that will be cheap but reliable, that won’t become a money pit.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Great posts.

I agree that she seems too immature to be practicing on busy roads. Continue to have her practice in empty parking lots and quiet residential streets but wait a few months before you take her out on other roads. And, every time that she has an accident or a near miss have her practice a few months more months in empty parking lots and quiet, empty roads before allowing her on busier streets. Just, imagine if she would have killed herself and/or you and/or an innocent family during the near miss head-on crash. Also, make sure that you have substantial car insurance and possible a large umbrella policy just in case something bad happens.

Also, before she gets her license be sure that she practices at night and in all types of weather conditions. I have a relative who had a serious car accident (both cars totaled but no one hurt) the very first night that he had his driver's license. His parents realized that he had never practiced driving at night.

Now, our state requires a specific number of hours driving at night to get your license. And, you also have to have practiced in all weather conditions (snow, rain, etc.)
This was a back country road and ironically she does best at night. That’s when fiancé takes her out driving. When there are no cars or tractors out.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
She's not ready to drive. She can take the bus to school. Try again the summer before college.

I assume that she is covered under your insurance, because if you are insured, and you are letting your daughter, who has a permit, drive under your supervision, you may be able to get your own insurance to cover it. So if your insurance will cover it, you pay the deductible and get it fixed under your insurance. If it has to be under the boyfriend's insurance, you pay the deductible. It's the least you can do. What he decides to do with it after the repair is his business.

Yes, she needs to learn how to drive. Someday. But not now. She's just too immature to understand the responsibilities of driving, and she clearly doesn't yet have the ability to focus on the road in front of her, ALL the time. Honestly, if you were in the car with her, you should have been watching her like a hawk, and should have corrected the veer the instant it started. If you weren't paying close attention, then yes, you are not the one to teach her to drive.

And I agree, letting a teenager drive someone else's car is foolish.
The truck is technically registered to my name and on my policy. He is a driver. I am paying the deductible of course. I do have an umbrella policy.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Your statements don't make a lot of sense. If he follows Dave Ramsey, then how is he "paying" for the truck? You don't take out loans for vehicles, or get vehicle you can't pay cash for. If he pays cash for everything, then how is he still paying for the truck? Either he paid cash for it or he didn't.

I also wanted to second Parentologist's post. I didn't get my license until 17 and that without crashing people's cars. I can't imagine crashing my dad's car at 15 and him letting me continue to drive.

Giving her a year off, or at least until next summer, and trying again when she is older sounds like what a responsible parent would do.
He has been following the no loans and pay cash preachings. When his old car died this summer he had no credit established. I had to sign for him to get it.

I am going to let her finish the driving school since it is already paid for and she where she is. She may very well stop driving for a little while and we revisit it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting