U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 PM

8,242 posts, read 3,570,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
She almost caused a head on collision and now, due completely to inattentiveness, she went off the road. She's not doing fine. Tell her you'll reevaulate next year to see if she's mature enough to handle it. It sounds like you live in a rural area, and I get that it will be more convenient for you if she has a license, but she's not ready to drive. And if you'll hand her the keys to a giant truck when she has demonstrated no ability to drive at all, she does not belong on the road.

Let your fiance cool off and then tell him how completely wrong you were for letting her drive his car.
THIS!!! Understandable that your fiance is POed regardless who's name is on the title. Sorry, you blew it. The accident wasn't a matter of practice, it was a matter of maturity. Your daughter just lost her chance to get her license this time around. Your job to make sure she realizes that stupid actions have consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 03:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 4,932,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I tried to do that and the agent said we would be paying out the nose for insurance with a third vehicle. He said to utilize this time that she is free until She gets her actual license next July.

I have been looking for something today that will be cheap but reliable, that won’t become a money pit.

Nonsense. This "free" time is simply that you cannot get insurance for an unlicensed driver and she falls under yours when being trained. This has nothing at all to do with whether you have two cars or three cars or fifteen cars. Adding liability coverage for a cheap third car that is classified as leisure not commuter (not your daily driver) is minimal. In fact, there are several C-D threads where people have noted, because of multi-car discounts, it was actually cheaper to insure three cars than two cars. That defies common sense to me but lots of posters reported the same experience and seeing a premium increase after dropping an unneeded third vehicle. Maybe it's time to shop for new insurance - or new insurance agent. At least get quotes. You should make this decision based on actual numbers.

Perhaps your agent and you miscommunicated and he was thinking you were asking about her having her own car and own insurance in her own name? You can buy a third car in your name and your insurance premium will be minimal (maybe even less according to some), and teach her to drive in that car.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
THIS!!! Understandable that your fiance is POed regardless who's name is on the title. Sorry, you blew it. The accident wasn't a matter of practice, it was a matter of maturity. Your daughter just lost her chance to get her license this time around. Your job to make sure she realizes that stupid actions have consequences.

It must have been quite humiliating to the daughter to be waving excitedly at her friends then run off the road and crash in front of them. She'll be the butt of driving jokes until she graduates.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:41 PM

23,697 posts, read 15,331,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
She's not ready to drive. She can take the bus to school. Try again the summer before college.

I assume that she is covered under your insurance, because if you are insured, and you are letting your daughter, who has a permit, drive under your supervision, you may be able to get your own insurance to cover it. So if your insurance will cover it, you pay the deductible and get it fixed under your insurance. If it has to be under the boyfriend's insurance, you pay the deductible. It's the least you can do. What he decides to do with it after the repair is his business.

Yes, she needs to learn how to drive. Someday. But not now. She's just too immature to understand the responsibilities of driving, and she clearly doesn't yet have the ability to focus on the road in front of her, ALL the time. Honestly, if you were in the car with her, you should have been watching her like a hawk, and should have corrected the veer the instant it started. If you weren't paying close attention, then yes, you are not the one to teach her to drive.

And I agree, letting a teenager drive someone else's car is foolish.
Finally someone hit the nail on the head. She caused a wreck, and has almost caused other wrecks. She needs to take a hiatus for 6 months or so. Her world will go on if she doesn't learn to drive at the earliest opportunity.

When she does practice again, she needs to start in an empty parking lot. She will be able to drive, but I don't think she is ready now.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:50 PM

5,454 posts, read 6,717,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
She's not old enough to drive a rental, and would not be an authorized driver.

If she can't stay focused on driving, then she needs to be staying in parking lots. If she sees a friend, she needs to ignore them. If she's distracted by seeing friends as she drives by, she will probably be texting while driving when she is alone, because she will be thinking that she has to respond immediately to a text.

Honestly, I would wait until she's 17 to learn to drive. She's not mature enough now, and has a good chance to end up in multiple accidents.
that is my suggestion as well

y'all can work the rest of it out

Old 11-10-2019, 04:51 PM

17,819 posts, read 18,155,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nonsense. This "free" time is simply that you cannot get insurance for an unlicensed driver and she falls under yours when being trained. This has nothing at all to do with whether you have two cars or three cars or fifteen cars. Adding liability coverage for a cheap third car that is classified as leisure not commuter (not your daily driver) is minimal. In fact, there are several C-D threads where people have noted, because of multi-car discounts, it was actually cheaper to insure three cars than two cars. That defies common sense to me but lots of posters reported the same experience and seeing a premium increase after dropping an unneeded third vehicle. Maybe it's time to shop for new insurance - or new insurance agent. At least get quotes. You should make this decision based on actual numbers.

Perhaps your agent and you miscommunicated and he was thinking you were asking about her having her own car and own insurance in her own name? You can buy a third car in your name and your insurance premium will be minimal (maybe even less according to some), and teach her to drive in that car.
Good points. Although it was a few years since we had three cars, I recall that the insurance cost of three cars was only slightly higher than for two cars (maybe just $5 or $10 a month).

Old 11-10-2019, 05:18 PM

7,577 posts, read 4,200,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good points. Although it was a few years since we had three cars, I recall that the insurance cost of three cars was only slightly higher than for two cars (maybe just $5 or $10 a month).
Insuring teenaged drivers isn’t cheap!

Old 11-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Insuring teenaged drivers isn’t cheap!

That's not the point of what we're talking about. Unlicensed learners are not insured in their name. They fall under the umbrella of the parent.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,056,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's not the point of what we're talking about. Unlicensed learners are not insured in their name. They fall under the umbrella of the parent.
I agree and I was in the business although "umbrella" is a confusing term here. In the insurance business, that's coverage you buy for liability that's so high that the plaintiff (the person you injured) is awarded more than your Auto or Homeowners policy limit.

DS went to a boarding school for HS and they didn't permit cars there unless you were a commuter and he didn't bother learning how to drive. He went on to college and also lived on campus so there was no pressure to learn to drive. When he did start lessons in college I called my insurance company and added him but they didn't charge anything because he had a learner's permit. He never got his license till after he got out of college and had a job (he lived in a city with a good bus system).

So I NEVER paid premiums on him!

Old 11-10-2019, 06:10 PM

47,099 posts, read 37,914,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Truck is registered to me. He doesn’t have bad credit, it’s more like no credit. Unfortunately he followed the Dave Ramsey preachings and pays cash for everything.

Friend has a car but it broke down and is in the shop. She is a single mom of four kids, works as an RN and currently going through stage 4 cancer treatments for the second time in 3 years. She works the weekend and then does treatments during the week. She should have her car back tomorrow.

He drives a company truck for work so I drove his Friday and this weekend. I do work outside the home during the week. But I am also on call all the time so work from home also. If we broke up he would either continue paying for it or I would keep it, sell my truck and drive his.

Yup, I am calling the driving school on Monday to get additional driving time.
OMG honestly - marry someone with a good credit score. And you're calling him your fiance so supposedly marriage is in the plan, right? Do you have a ring and a date?

The reason why I am asking is because you have a 15 year old daughter in this mix. Model what you want HER to do. Do you want her to hook up with some guy who can't qualify to buy a truck? Just think about it.

Meanwhile, he's talking about trading it in - except it's in YOUR name, not his so apparently you are in the drivers' seat (no pun intended). I mean, because he can't even BUY a truck. So he'll do what you agree to do. Are you going to placate him by going and signing off on another loan for another truck? I mean, I don't know if this is a good or a bad plan but let's get the players straight anyway. Who's in the power seat? Seems like you are unless you abdicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting