Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

My kids are grown, but I have several friends who home school. I don't think it has anything to do with vaccines. However, one child is autistic and the school was putting pressure on the parents to medicate, yet they wanted to try a more natural way to help him. I believe that was part of their decision to switch to home schooling this year.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't think they do. I have recently read a statement from a school administrator for 30 years who states she has never had an immune-compromised student in her schools.

The vast amount of potential pathogens a child is more likely to be exposed to in the classroom are not VPDs. No vaccine available. So it would be an incredibly stupid move for a parent to think a school with a 100% vaccination uptake rate would imply less of a risk. I honestly believe most parents are smarter than this.

It's just pro-vax trope. Propaganda.
That superintendent does not know what she's talking about. Perhaps she doesn't understand what "immunocompromised" means.
https://health.usnews.com/health-car...ncer-diagnosis
"“For example, the majority of children that have leukemia – acute lymphoblastic leukemia – may be out of school for a period of time, maybe the first six months of their most intensive chemo,” Jacobson notes. “Then depending on their age, and how they’re tolerating their treatment, they may go back to school at that point. But they still have two more years or so of treatment left. So they’re potentially back in school while they’re undergoing the rest of their chemotherapy regimen.”"

Maybe she should be asked if she's had any kids on chemo.

This: https://www.cclg.org.uk/Information-for-schools
"The school can develop a system to let other parents know that they should notify their child’s teacher if their child develops chickenpox, measles or shingles, so that appropriate action can be taken."

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/...ith-cancer.pdf
"It’s best for most children with cancer to return to school as soon as they are able. It helps to have a routine and to be with other children." P. 59

If a child has had a stem-cell transplant s/he will need to be reimmunized. Flu vaccine can start at 4-6 months, the rest need to wait 1-2 years.
https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/pa...ant-recipients

Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why is this a debate in 2019, almost 2020? Then again, if you're homeschooling I guess you're already choosing to shelter your kids so why not shelter them from science and modern medicine?
One of the main reasons my daughter chose to homeschool is because of lack of teaching science in schools.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
We homeschooled all the way through. Vaccine exemptions had nothing to do with it. I don't think too many parents are in the position to make the decision to homeschool based on something like that, to be honest. Some, of course... but many parents whose children go to school aren't able to decide on a whim to educate them at home for a wide variety of reasons. I'm also curious how many will make that decision vs. just getting them vaccinated.
More than 26,000 kids statewide in NY just lost their medical exemptions.

Quote:
Thompson, of Cato, refuses to vaccinate her kids. She will home-school them because the state’s vaccination law does not apply to home-schooled children.

She and her husband also plan to sell their home, quit their jobs and move to another state that allows unvaccinated kids to attend school if the family says shots violate their religious beliefs.

“We are changing everything,” Thompson said.

She began questioning the safety of vaccines eight years ago when her oldest son got sick after getting an HPV vaccination. She said he developed autoimmune encephalitis, a rare type of brain inflammation that happens when the body’s immune system attacks healthy cells. He was hospitalized 31 days.

“We are prepared to sell everything we have and move out of state so that our healthy children can attend school without vaccines,” she said.
https://www.syracuse.com/schools/201...ting-kids.html

Two out of three families here have removed there children from school: (Link to all provided below)

Quote:
At Our Lady of the Hamptons School, a parochial school in Southampton Village, five of its 320 students had a religious exemption. Sister Kathy Schlueter, the principal of OLH since 1987, said she spoke with two of the three affected families, and both of them have withdrawn their children because they refuse to get them immunized.
Only three out of nine families here decided to vaccinate:

Quote:
The East Hampton School District has approximately 1,800 students, and nine of them had a religious exemption. District staff hand-delivered letters to affected families to ensure that they were aware of the change as soon as possible, according to Cindy Allentuck, the district’s director of pupil personnel services.

Ms. Allentuck said that out of those involved, three families got their children immunized and two others decided to send their children to schools in other states. Some parents asked her questions about the law and the state’s vaccination schedule, and she has yet to hear back from two other families, she said.
"There goes the college fund!":

Quote:
Alex Coulter is the father of two boys, 14 and 16, who attended Pierson High School and played on school sports teams while having religious exemptions. He and his family took a vacation to Maine last week to escape the stress of New York’s new restriction.

Mr. Coulter said he is still unsure of what to do about his sons’ education — a little over a week before Pierson High School students return to school — but stands firm that they will not be getting immunized.

“We will either home-school or send our kids to school out of state,” he wrote in an email late Monday night, after returning from the trip. “The former is impractical, the latter is expensive. There goes the college fund!”
https://sagharborexpress.com/vaccina...it_nosession=1

Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That superintendent does not know what she's talking about. Perhaps she doesn't understand what "immunocompromised" means.
She had just lost her DIL to cancer.

Quote:
... I lost my DIL to cancer at age 32. Just Nov 9 is our first anniversary. I know not only that loss but the immune-compromised story. We always took care of our situation. Never expected others to take risks for us.
-- Jean Thomas

Old 11-14-2019, 11:44 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My kids are grown, but I have several friends who home school. I don't think it has anything to do with vaccines. However, one child is autistic and the school was putting pressure on the parents to medicate, yet they wanted to try a more natural way to help him. I believe that was part of their decision to switch to home schooling this year.
Many schools/districts don’t have the resources nor interest in properly educating kids with autism. I worked for a state agency that served autistic children and we would see kids on insane amount of drugs (think high doses of Thorazine), schools requesting outrageous things like strapping fully ambulatory kids to a wheelchair in restraints to be transported to school in a special bus with an aide, etc. It is no wonder with these sorts of things happening that some parents elect to home school. Who wants to drug up their child like that or treat her like a criminal?

Old 11-14-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
One of the main reasons my daughter chose to homeschool is because of lack of teaching science in schools.
That's hilarious! First of all, the humanities people complain that schools are all about STEM stuff these days with no focus on arts literature, etc. Secondly, what parent is capable of teaching science, especially come high school?

Old 11-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
She had just lost her DIL to cancer.

-- Jean Thomas
I'm sorry this woman lost her daughter-in-law to cancer. That doesn't make her an expert about immune compromise. I am about 100% sure she has some immunocompromised kids in her school. There are varying degrees of immune compromise, as you should know.

I'm truly weary of hearing "Never expected others to take risks for us". Getting vaccinated is not near as much of a risk as driving/riding in a car is, yet most people do that several times a day.

My husband is immune compromised. We've been given some instructions on what to do/not to do. No church-people go to church sick (music to his ears). Avoid the grocery, etc at peak times. There is, however, an expectation that people out and about are not carrying some communicable disease. He about flipped out one day when a tech at the pharmacy we use had an obvious cold. Just sayin'.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's hilarious! First of all, the humanities people complain that schools are all about STEM stuff these days with no focus on arts literature, etc. Secondly, what parent is capable of teaching science, especially come high school?
If you are going to talk about homeschooling, you should investigate so you know what you are talking about. /shrug/

Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 PM

313 posts, read 268,380 times
Quote:
OMG no, no, no.

I am a non-responder to the measles vaccine & cannot be further vaccinated.

Please do not risk your child's life, brain or immune-system on my behalf. I would RATHER be in an unvaxxed community where SOME people have just caught the measles, got better & now have a strong, lifetime immunity than I would in your chronically ill, vaccinated communities. I can self-isolate during an outbreak. Do not risk your child for me. Please.

If your vaccines cannot save the vaxxed from the unvaxxed; how in the hell are they going to save ME?

Why are you asking others to set their child on fire to keep you warm?
Thank you. Well said. This is advice I wish I had before suffering vaccine injury. My child suffered vaccine injury as well. People freak out and get emotional over this topic, but it does exist. Because of what my family experienced I no longer trust vaccines.

Last edited by Withinpines; 11-14-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting