U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2019, 04:00 PM
 
13,647 posts, read 26,071,215 times
Reputation: 21753

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
...
The thing is, though, anxiety metastacizes in your brain. If you are too anxious to go on walks due to a trauma so you stop going on hikes, you'll be too traumatized to go out after dark, and then shortly too traumatized to be alone or leave the house. You can't give in. You can't change your behaviors, as hard as it is to walk boldly into a situation that will likely give you a panic attack...
I worked in psychiatric for 37 years. I beg to differ with your take on the progression to disaster of that anxiety. I am familiar with the theory you describe for dealing with it. Sounds like you are talking more about a specific phobia, but it's still a theory only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Mountains of Oregon
15,569 posts, read 18,124,844 times
Reputation: 11036
Msgenerse,
I'm very sorry you both had to endure this terrible ordeal. They are pond scum.

Target practice with pics up of the perpetrators, is a great stress reliever...
Be Safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2019, 08:48 PM
 
64 posts, read 22,209 times
Reputation: 161
Thanks for all of the kind responses. Is it just me or are women a LOT more violent today than in the past? Seems as if women are increasingly displaying the kind of thuggish behavior that would normally just be associated with men? Also, my daughter has some autism which certainly doesn't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 PM
 
34 posts, read 10,149 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's sad that women aren't able to enjoy the outdoors in piece.
White knight much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
33,482 posts, read 21,053,691 times
Reputation: 48467
I would say follow her lead for what she needs. We can say be super super supportive and loving, but she may need things to return to normal.

Just listen to her.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 PM
 
11,576 posts, read 8,812,084 times
Reputation: 21168
She should carry pepper spray and learn how to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 PM
 
12,023 posts, read 4,831,216 times
Reputation: 29453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Thanks for all of the kind responses. Is it just me or are women a LOT more violent today than in the past? Seems as if women are increasingly displaying the kind of thuggish behavior that would normally just be associated with men? Also, my daughter has some autism which certainly doesn't help.
No, it's not just you.

Used to be, if you were out somewhere that seems dark and dangerous, and saw a group approaching you if they were women - or even if at least ONE of them was a woman - you were pretty safe.

Just seeding a group of men with one woman often kept the peace and cut down on violent behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2019, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Texas
11,568 posts, read 4,397,651 times
Reputation: 22494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Thanks for all of the kind responses. Is it just me or are women a LOT more violent today than in the past? Seems as if women are increasingly displaying the kind of thuggish behavior that would normally just be associated with men? Also, my daughter has some autism which certainly doesn't help.
Women have always been violent, but it can be overlooked in society and women offenders often don't get the same punishment that male ones do. And men who are victims of domestic violence still have difficulty getting law enforcement to believe or take seriously that their female partner is dangerous. I was once harassed by a woman at a store and when I called the police, they just didn't seem to take it that seriously because it was a female, although they took down a report and confronted her as she left the store. I even video recorded her harassing me with my cell phone and showed it to them.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about this horrible crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
 
12,023 posts, read 4,831,216 times
Reputation: 29453
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Women have always been violent, but it can be overlooked in society and women offenders often don't get the same punishment that male ones do. And men who are victims of domestic violence still have difficulty getting law enforcement to believe or take seriously that their female partner is dangerous. I was once harassed by a woman at a store and when I called the police, they just didn't seem to take it that seriously because it was a female, although they took down a report and confronted her as she left the store. I even video recorded her harassing me with my cell phone and showed it to them.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about this horrible crime.
Before about 40 years ago, there weren't girl gangs. Gang behavior was entirely male.

There have always been aggressive/abusive women, but this idea of girls ganging up and assaulting strangers is new. As far as an American timeline goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
 
16,365 posts, read 18,351,333 times
Reputation: 16234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Before about 40 years ago, there weren't girl gangs. Gang behavior was entirely male.

There have always been aggressive/abusive women, but this idea of girls ganging up and assaulting strangers is new. As far as an American timeline goes.
While there were not *girl gangs,* girls have participated in gangs since the early 1800s.

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c...femalegang.htm

Quote:
However, throughout the latter half of the twentieth century, female gang activity has seen the sharpest increase in participation, especially in comparison to boys. For example, a study found that there had been a, "50 percent increase in serious crimes by teenage gins between 1968 and 1974, compared to a 10 percent increase for boys" (CASA Website). In addition, arrests of girls under 18 for violent crimes rose 393 percent between 1960 and 1978, compared to 82 percent for boys" (CASA Website). Also, compared to 1950, "youth gangs of the 1980's and 1990's are more numerous, more prevalent, and more violent than in the 1950's, probably more than at any time in the country's history" (Miller 263). Now that female participation in gangs and violence is apparently on the rise, and such activity has become increasingly violent, it is important to look at current research that examines this problem and methods of prevention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top