U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 AM

64 posts, read 22,209 times

Advertisements

Not at all far from my house there is a park and mountains to hike easy to get to and many do, including my daughter. Yesterday my daughter was walking to the park when two women approached her, saying they wanted to talk to her. She ignored them and continued walking when one of them hit her on the back of the head making her fall down, one woman started kicking her while the other stole her phone, switch and wallet. She ended up with a broken nose, rib and toe.

She came home understandably in great distress and I immediately called 911 and she was sent to the hospital and thankfully, not long after both women were caught. I plan to get her some counseling, and very happy those that hurt her will face punishment, but other than being by her side, getting her counseling, is there anything else I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 AM

45,688 posts, read 43,908,038 times
Very sorry to hear that.

So other posters are aware, your daughter is in her 30s, correct?

Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 AM

2,399 posts, read 506,465 times
That's terrible. But I'm glad your daughter came through it in one piece. It's sad that women aren't able to enjoy the outdoors in piece.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:37 PM

12,031 posts, read 4,831,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Not at all far from my house there is a park and mountains to hike easy to get to and many do, including my daughter. Yesterday my daughter was walking to the park when two women approached her, saying they wanted to talk to her. She ignored them and continued walking when one of them hit her on the back of the head making her fall down, one woman started kicking her while the other stole her phone, switch and wallet. She ended up with a broken nose, rib and toe.

She came home understandably in great distress and I immediately called 911 and she was sent to the hospital and thankfully, not long after both women were caught. I plan to get her some counseling, and very happy those that hurt her will face punishment, but other than being by her side, getting her counseling, is there anything else I can do?
So sorry to hear that happened!

When she's physically able, your daughter needs to "get back up on that horse". She needs to go back to the scene of the crime, literally, and hike it again. And don't give in to anxiety. Don't stop going out. Any ground you give in to anxiety, is ground that's very hard to get back.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:42 PM

4,285 posts, read 3,958,510 times
How horrible. Self defense classes may help give her more confidence, although hopefully she will never need them.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:59 PM

327 posts, read 122,198 times
That was horrible. I am so sorry that your daughter had to go through this.
Strange things happened to lone strollers in our neighborhood park too. Not sure if I would return to the spot where it happened certainly not alone, but psychologists often counsel that.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:05 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,219,212 times
There is a program for victim aide. It pays/provides the counseling. And those assailants get to pick up the tab as part of the restitution. MediCal and therapy.

As a parent who also had her son assaulted I can tell you that just standing up for him and assuring him that we will get thru this. He did have defense skills but sadly 4 on one wasn't in the course. Our lawyer said because he was a minor and they were adults I could sue them in civil court. I didn't have the resource for that retainer. I would have though .

You'll be given pamphlets and the police report . I'd suggest going over it to understand the legal charges . Your daughter will be required to testify and how she says things can determine what criteria the law applies.

It's a traumatic event...so sorry this happened.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:47 PM

13,649 posts, read 26,071,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So sorry to hear that happened!

When she's physically able, your daughter needs to "get back up on that horse"...
As someone who has been badly thrown from a horse twice in my life, I am here to testify that that advice isn't always okay, especially while someone is still feeling PTSD. OP's daughter might well need to be sure and get out of the house, but I don't see a need to walk alone in the same place, especially because she was attacked from behind. Why wouldn't she continue to have fear that she'll be blindsided from the rear and hurt again, when it happened exactly that way?

For what it's worth, I did get back on the horse that threw me into a canyon wall. Held onto her head/reins to an absurd degree, got off and walked three miles back, leading her. Found out she hadn't been ridden for a year and the owner had heard I was "tough" so put me up on her. Stupid, stupid.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:31 PM

12,031 posts, read 4,831,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
As someone who has been badly thrown from a horse twice in my life, I am here to testify that that advice isn't always okay, especially while someone is still feeling PTSD. OP's daughter might well need to be sure and get out of the house, but I don't see a need to walk alone in the same place, especially because she was attacked from behind. Why wouldn't she continue to have fear that she'll be blindsided from the rear and hurt again, when it happened exactly that way?

For what it's worth, I did get back on the horse that threw me into a canyon wall. Held onto her head/reins to an absurd degree, got off and walked three miles back, leading her. Found out she hadn't been ridden for a year and the owner had heard I was "tough" so put me up on her. Stupid, stupid.
I didn't think she should go walk alone. That would, indeed be traumatic. Go with a few people, and in broad daylight. And it doesn't have to be a terribly long walk.

And maybe "get back up on that horse" isn't the best analogy to use. That was coined back in the day when you'd have to get back up on the horse at some point. Now, with horseback riding being for pleasure, if you have a bad spill, deciding to stop riding horses is a good option.

The thing is, though, anxiety metastacizes in your brain. If you are too anxious to go on walks due to a trauma so you stop going on hikes, you'll be too traumatized to go out after dark, and then shortly too traumatized to be alone or leave the house. You can't give in. You can't change your behaviors, as hard as it is to walk boldly into a situation that will likely give you a panic attack.

And it's HARD to walk into a situation you know will likely send you into a panic.

But it's worse to have your life shut down where you can't function due to anxiety from an incident.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM

16,590 posts, read 13,395,454 times
I am so sorry!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or