U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM

11,516 posts, read 4,385,788 times

Advertisements

If everyone stopped having kids, the human race would go extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 11:28 AM

525 posts, read 128,488 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If everyone stopped having kids, the human race would go extinct.
Not anytime soon!

And I’m not telling anyone to not have kids. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this large family trend.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:58 AM

1,167 posts, read 536,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Not anytime soon!

And I’m not telling anyone to not have kids. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this large family trend.
I had this theory of a barbell distribution (lots of "0" and lots of "many") but my quick googling is not confirming this. Back to drawing board.

Anyway, I've noticed that 3 seems to be a popular number of kids to have around here now. I do know some folks with 5+ children, generally of particular religious traditions that encourage having large familes.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM

I can’t help but feel like some people around here consider their kids a status symbol. Like oh hey I’m doing well in life and I’m going to reproduce like crazy and post all sorts of pictures of them and all that we do and the places we travel. I really think some women get pregnant just so they can’t do the pregnancy update on facebook. I’m not kidding. Some of the ideas that people come up with to tell the world on social media that they are pregnant just seem like way too much thought and effort was put into them. People get professional photos taken of their family pregnancy announcement just for the Facebook attention. Why else would you get a professional photo done?

Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 PM

22,876 posts, read 22,289,049 times
Quote:
There have been recent studies that show the birth rate has declined and that does make sense. Some women and men don’t feel the need to have children to have a life worth living. It’s become more acceptable. However I feel like I constantly am seeing social media posts of people who have large families. Like don’t even bother posting pics of your kids anymore unless you have a brood of at least 3.

Is having big families become a thing again? Seems hard to understand how since many women don’t even have their first kid until 35 or over. If you started that late it’s less likely that you will end up with more than 2 kids unless you do IVf which a lot of people do these days I guess.

Personally I’m not a fan of the big family thing because well overpopulation. People don’t need to be having 4 or 5 kids these days even if they have the money. It’s bad for the planet and will take its toll on generations to come.

So am I the only one surrounded by people with 3 or more kids? Apparently having one or two kids just isn’t good enough.
Compared to when. When I was growing up 3-5 kids was the norm.

Two kids seems pretty typical in my area. I know two couples who ended up with three because pregnancy #2 yielded twins naturally. As someone else stated some couples are blended families and I also know a few couples who have adopted several kids in addition to their own kids.
I do know one woman who I use to work with (she quit at #2) who is incubating #4 now. I dont know why but they are great parents and I'm sure their kids will grow up to be stable and contributing members of society.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:33 PM

1,306 posts, read 867,910 times
I know several young families who has 3 children. They are not wealthy, but are not impoverished either. My daughter just had her 3rd child and it was by choice. She said that she didn’t feel like she was done after her second, my son and DIL are expecting their 3rd child. They originally wanted 4 but are stopping at 3. My DIL had 3 other siblings who she is pretty close to and wanted to have at least 4.

None of the ones I know had children for a status symbol and are excellent parents to their children.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:04 PM

11,516 posts, read 4,385,788 times
Quote:
I can’t help but feel like some people around here consider their kids a status symbol. Like oh hey I’m doing well in life and I’m going to reproduce like crazy and post all sorts of pictures of them and all that we do and the places we travel.
Could it be that you are just a little bit jealous? Having more kids and traveling a lot probably means they are financially able to do so. Social media can bring out the worst in people. Those who want to show off, brag; and those who get jealous easily. Both behaviors are problematic.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:13 PM

No I don’t feel jealous. DH and I do well and have a lot saved. I actually don’t think some of these people have as much money as they spend. The girl I mentioned spends money like nothing I’ve ever seen and I know they don’t have it. Credit cards are her friend.

They’re not poor. I am not sure on the income status of the others. All I know is that if one person works and the other doesn’t and you have 5 kids that one person better be getting paid well. There is one family with 5 I know of who I believe to be well off. The rest are average or upper middle.

Another girl I know who has four kids and puts it out there like life is perfect had a husband who had 3 DUIs. So I know all that people put on FB is just a facade. They perhaps are still happy despite the husbands issues but how great could life be with the burden of 3 duis.

Last edited by Bridge781; 11-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 11-15-2019, 01:45 PM

7,958 posts, read 2,875,006 times
Quote:
After I wrote this I actually went on Facebook and saw a family that just had their 5th. I know of two other families with 5. I have two I guess I’m a weirdo. I cannot imagine how people have 5 kids.

I am not a bitter infertile woman either. I had my two quickly and that was all I wanted. I want to have enough time for each of them and yes I do like to have some time (and money) for myself.

Some of these families are well off but I’m not sure how well off one could be in the Boston area with 4 or 5 kids these days.

In the end to each their own. Do people even think about how them having 5 kids might affect other people, like even their own families at parties etc?

Boston, the city full of Irish Catholics? Is it really that surprising that some families would have more than 3 kids? lol

Old 11-15-2019, 01:49 PM

The city has changed way more than just Irish people getting pregnant here. If you’re a responsible person you go on the pill. I’m actually Irish catholic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or