U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 01:55 PM

7,262 posts, read 4,507,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I had this theory of a barbell distribution (lots of "0" and lots of "many") but my quick googling is not confirming this. Back to drawing board.
Most young couples with children are having just 1 or 2. Some have 3+, but those are probably still outweighed by those that have none. So it still averages out to about 2.

There's also the factor that when out and about, we notice the mom herding three or four little kids; we don't really notice all the young women without any kids.

Personally, I can think of three young families with 3, 4, or 5 kids. One family at our church had three, and planned to stop, but had a surprise twin pregnancy, so they ended up with five.

However, I lots more 20- and 30-somethings who "don't have kids and never want to have kids."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 01:59 PM

527 posts, read 128,488 times
But women are having babies in their 40s more than ever before.

My grandmother had her last baby at 40 so it’s not like this never happened but it usually wasn’t planned. These days women wait on purpose and often times waiting until 40 or over means IVF.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:15 PM

11,536 posts, read 4,385,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

My grandmother had her last baby at 40 so it’s not like this never happened but it usually wasn’t planned. These days women wait on purpose and often times waiting until 40 or over means IVF.
Not always on purpose. Some women don't find a partner or can't get things together to have a child when they are younger.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:19 PM

21,110 posts, read 36,604,638 times
Not at all, a few people with 2-4, lots with 0. There are some very socially conservative ultra-orthodox/religious areas of the country that are exceptions to the rule. It is very expensive for younger people in most metro areas with higher cost of living to afford to have kids in general. This isn't the 1980's anymore.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM

370 posts, read 160,761 times
Part of it may be that you simply live in an area and have friend groups that put an emphasis on families. I noticed when I was a nanny families like to group up in areas and with people that will have the focus on the needs they have. So if your restrict yourself to those parameters then you'll get a skewed view of the larger population.

Here in Seattle several blocks can be nothing but singles and college students and a random one will be filled with families. If you stick to that one block you would be under the impression that everyone is having children despite the surrounding areas being completely opposite. Your perspective will have a bias attached if your only looking at a select geographical area, especially if you live in a family friendly area.

Same with friend groups. I've found that some groups will influence each other into having more children. I think many friends want their children to grow up together, so they try all getting pregnant at the same time which feeds off on other friends and relatives. Sometimes it's intentional, but many times it's just crazy timing and feeding off each others energy (I had one friend randomly start a pinterest nursery board and within a year 5 friends had babies). Add step-children or a couple random multiples here and there; pretty soon you have 3+ and if you're able to manage (or think your managing) adding more doesn't seem as extreme as it did when you had no kids.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 PM

7,958 posts, read 2,875,006 times
Quote:
The city has changed way more than just Irish people getting pregnant here. If you’re a responsible person you go on the pill. I’m actually Irish catholic as well.

I didn't say "Just Irish Catholics". I said full of Irish Catholics, of which there are still plenty.

And while YOU feel it's irresponsible to have more than 3 kids...I would judge what's irresponsible or not by whether the parents can take care of their children. And there are a lot of people who do just fine with large households.

By the way, I gave birth to 3 boys, and gave one up for adoption, so I'm not saying I had a house full of kids.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:40 PM

22,874 posts, read 22,292,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Most young couples with children are having just 1 or 2. Some have 3+, but those are probably still outweighed by those that have none. So it still averages out to about 2.

There's also the factor that when out and about, we notice the mom herding three or four little kids; we don't really notice all the young women without any kids.

Personally, I can think of three young families with 3, 4, or 5 kids. One family at our church had three, and planned to stop, but had a surprise twin pregnancy, so they ended up with five.

However, I lots more 20- and 30-somethings who "don't have kids and never want to have kids."
Also we dont know those are her kids. I saw a younger woman shopping with 4 little ones. Then I overheard her talking to another woman about being the kids babysitter. The kids were not all siblings.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:47 PM

22,874 posts, read 22,292,265 times
Quote:

IVF or not older women are more likely to have twins. One of the couples I spoke of with twins had a newspaper article and photo of his twins school. There were 25 sets of twins.
Neither of the couples I know who were older had IVF. One couple had fertility treatments with their first pregnancy but not the second bearing twins.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:31 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,140,875 times
Is having big families become a thing again?

I betcha it depends on where you live and your income level.

In Austin, Texas no!

I do see a tiny amount of super rich looking white families here with 5 kids that look like the mom popped them out over 6-7 years but that is rare.

I see very poor people in a few areas having lots of babies.

No, here it is the majority having 1 kid or no kids and just cats or dogs.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM

16,122 posts, read 27,326,640 times
We have 6 kids. Both my wife and I work in a Hospital. She has always worked nights, which comes up to three 12 hour shifts a week. I have always worked days, 5 eight hour shifts a week. I have never seen it as a problem. I know lots of other families that have 4 to 8 kids.

The idea that we will overpopulate the planet is faulty science. That will never happen. As nations become educated they stop producing large numbers of children. Numbers come down. China, India, and many other Nations are getting close to the point of not replacing themselves.

I have read two studies that show that the population will hit around 9 billion and then start to drop. Sometime between 2065 and 2100 we will go from increasing in numbers to reducing the amount of people on the planet.

Another study showed that by 2050 only people of faith will be having children. Two Churches that seem to have large amounts of children are both Catholics and members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I grew up in the Church and my wife grew up Catholic. That is why we have 6 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or