U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 04:40 PM

5,869 posts, read 3,843,068 times

Advertisements

We have two. Would have liked one more, but I had a hard time staying pregnant. So, two it is! One's an adult and the other is close behind. Most of the people I know have 1-3 kids. I occasionally see someone with 4 or 5, but it isn't common at all where I live... at least I don't think so. I also don't really care how many kids a family has, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 05:00 PM

11,339 posts, read 17,874,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
But women are having babies in their 40s more than ever before.

My grandmother had her last baby at 40 so it’s not like this never happened but it usually wasn’t planned. These days women wait on purpose and often times waiting until 40 or over means IVF.
What does this judgmental post have to do with your OP? Women are having babies later for a variety of reasons, from career focus, to infertility struggles, to meeting their husbands later in life. All of these women tend to have smaller families, not larger.

I sure as hell didn't choose to be a first time Mom over 40, but that's what life dealt me. I'm grateful every day for my little girl, and I did not need to use fertility treatments to become pregnant any of the 6 times I tried for this one baby. The doctors told me I'd never be pregnant without IVF when I was 31, and they were completely wrong. Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes before you make such comments about the older mothers. Feel fortunate your family planning worked out the way you wanted it to.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:15 PM

7,973 posts, read 9,377,874 times
Quote:
They are mostly well to do white people.
Well to do my ass. Half the ones I see with litters are on welfare or are limited income religious nutcases that don't believe in protection in the year 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If everyone stopped having kids, the human race would go extinct.
And when it rains people get wet.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 PM

11,557 posts, read 4,390,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What does this judgmental post have to do with your OP? Women are having babies later for a variety of reasons, from career focus, to infertility struggles, to meeting their husbands later in life. All of these women tend to have smaller families, not larger.

I sure as hell didn't choose to be a first time Mom over 40, but that's what life dealt me. I'm grateful every day for my little girl, and I did not need to use fertility treatments to become pregnant any of the 6 times I tried for this one baby. The doctors told me I'd never be pregnant without IVF when I was 31, and they were completely wrong. Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes before you make such comments about the older mothers. Feel fortunate your family planning worked out the way you wanted it to.
I agree. Women who got pregnant easily are so quick to judge.

Our society assumes it's always a choice that someone becomes a parent when they're older. They typically blame it on the woman wanting to have a career. The real reasons are often far more complex.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 PM

13,243 posts, read 15,731,817 times
Just the Duggars.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 PM

348 posts, read 60,566 times
Quote:
Maybe I am just seeing it more in my area. I’ve been suprised by the number of women I know who’ve had a 3rd, 4th or 5th kid at an older age. I loved the newborn/baby stage, it was my favorite but it goes sooo fast. To me it was the easiest stage. I find it harder now. Homework help, help with everything basically and i will be doing this until they are in their 20’s probably.

You also never know what you are going to get when you have kids. Just because you have healthy babies does not mean they grow into healthy people. No one ever thinks they will have troubled kids though.

I am also maybe more anxious than others.

My moms friends daughter just had her 5th. She is 38. Apparently the kid was not planned but she had miscarried right before her so Um yeah that sounds planned to me. If you have 4 kids you’re obviously capable of getting pregnant and if you weren’t planning why not be on the pill. The family already seemed pretty stressed with 4 kids. Dad doesn’t help much with them and the girl expects a lot of help from her mom. If you’re in that situation with 4 kids I just don’t know why you’d have a 5th. Her kids are also a bit rowdy, always seems to be sick. I actually said to mom somewhat jokingly when I heard news of the 5th, they’re not coming to our parties anymore. I get nervous with my two kids going anywhere. You just never know what might happen. She told me on a recent flight they had her 4 yr old threw up the whole flight. I looked at her and said- you are my worst nightmare. No sympathy from me there.
You seem to care an awfully lot about something that doesn't even concern you. Jealousy? Why do you care? Does it personally concern you?

Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 PM

In the couples I've seen, they keep having kids to try for a certain gender. I have 2 girls. I knew I would have girls because it's a popular thing my family.
I am perfectly fine stopping at 2. I don't care to have a boy even though I know my husband does- but I don't care because eventually I need to get back to the working world so I'm not trying to have any more.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:55 PM

Haha wow so I really think you need to get out more op. You said the people you are having the most kids are white families?? That's probably because you live in a mostly white area.
The people I see an some I know of with 3+ kids are Hispanic.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM

26,977 posts, read 33,887,490 times
Quote:
There have been recent studies that show the birth rate has declined and that does make sense. Some women and men don’t feel the need to have children to have a life worth living. It’s become more acceptable. However I feel like I constantly am seeing social media posts of people who have large families. Like don’t even bother posting pics of your kids anymore unless you have a brood of at least 3.

Is having big families become a thing again?
No. I see the opposite.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:24 PM

11,557 posts, read 4,390,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
In the couples I've seen, they keep having kids to try for a certain gender. I have 2 girls. I knew I would have girls because it's a popular thing my family.
I am perfectly fine stopping at 2. I don't care to have a boy even though I know my husband does- but I don't care because eventually I need to get back to the working world so I'm not trying to have any more.
When I see people with, like, 3 boys or 4 girls, it makes me wonder if they kept trying for a certain gender. Because the average family will have only 2 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or