U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 AM

13,003 posts, read 10,331,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There have been recent studies that show the birth rate has declined and that does make sense. Some women and men don’t feel the need to have children to have a life worth living. It’s become more acceptable. However I feel like I constantly am seeing social media posts of people who have large families. Like don’t even bother posting pics of your kids anymore unless you have a brood of at least 3.

Is having big families become a thing again? Seems hard to understand how since many women don’t even have their first kid until 35 or over. If you started that late it’s less likely that you will end up with more than 2 kids unless you do IVf which a lot of people do these days I guess.

Personally I’m not a fan of the big family thing because well overpopulation. People don’t need to be having 4 or 5 kids these days even if they have the money. It’s bad for the planet and will take its toll on generations to come.

So am I the only one surrounded by people with 3 or more kids? Apparently having one or two kids just isn’t good enough.
I think the same thing happens to most people in their early 30's who have a lot of Facebook friends their same age. Being 32 myself, I see a lot of people my age having kids. It's not so much that the birth rate is going up, rather, the people you know are statistically near peak childbearing age.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 AM

596 posts, read 147,129 times
Or maybe the single people or people with no kids or just one or two aren’t as active on social media? It’s amazing to me that the moms with all these kids are the ones who have the need and time for that matter to document every day what they do on Facebook or instagram.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:16 AM

11,586 posts, read 5,370,304 times
Why the OP's original post didn't sound judgmental, the subsequent ones did. Many women cannot use the birth control pill and some people are just lazy about birth control. I only know one women with more than two kids. I have two, my sister had one, my half-brother and sister each have just one. The only person I know with three kids has them from three different fathers and she used the "pull-out" method, which obviously doesn't work. Thankfully she finally had a tubal ligation, since at the rate she was going she would be having another baby every two years at the taxpayer's expense.

I don't care how many children people choose to have as long as they can afford them and take care of them. It's none of my business and I seriously doubt the USA is going to get over populated. Unfortunately it's the poor countries that are ravaged by drought, civil war, etc. that seem to have the most children that they can't even afford to feed.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:01 AM

7,287 posts, read 4,528,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When I see people with, like, 3 boys or 4 girls, it makes me wonder if they kept trying for a certain gender. Because the average family will have only 2 kids.
You can wonder, but it won't always be true. We have three kids, of which the first two happened to be girls. We decided to have a third because we wanted three kids. We didn't feel our family was complete with two.

If our third child had been a girl, you'd probably be looking at us "one of those couples who kept trying for a boy." But we weren't. We didn't care what we had the third time. In fact, my husband was sure we would have a third girl although we didn't.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 AM

7,978 posts, read 9,393,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have 6 kids. Both my wife and I work in a Hospital. She has always worked nights, which comes up to three 12 hour shifts a week. I have always worked days, 5 eight hour shifts a week. I have never seen it as a problem. I know lots of other families that have 4 to 8 kids.

The idea that we will overpopulate the planet is faulty science. That will never happen. As nations become educated they stop producing large numbers of children. Numbers come down. China, India, and many other Nations are getting close to the point of not replacing themselves.

I have read two studies that show that the population will hit around 9 billion and then start to drop. Sometime between 2065 and 2100 we will go from increasing in numbers to reducing the amount of people on the planet.

Another study showed that by 2050 only people of faith will be having children. Two Churches that seem to have large amounts of children are both Catholics and members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I grew up in the Church and my wife grew up Catholic. That is why we have 6 kids.
What are you smoking? Plenty of people will keep having kids and contributing to the problem. Not to mention you work in a hospital. Surely you know modern medicine is increasing the lifespan.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:55 PM

11,654 posts, read 4,431,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You can wonder, but it won't always be true. .
I didn't say it was "always" true. And I don't think anyone here said it was "always" true. Good grief. Your defensive response is completely unwarranted.

I simply said I "wondered" about it. And I'm entitled to do so, whether it meets with your personal approval or not.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 11-17-2019 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 03:22 PM

7,287 posts, read 4,528,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I didn't say it was "always" true. And I don't think anyone here said it was "always" true. Good grief. Your defensive response is completely unwarranted.

I simply said I "wondered" about it. And I'm entitled to do so, whether it meets with your personal approval or not.
I may have overreacted. But that was because it really, really bothered me when I was pregnant with my third child and people would observe my two girls and say, "Oh, so you're trying for a boy?" No, I wasn't. It was a rude and intrusive thing to say. The very idea of "trying for a boy/girl" is dumb to begin with because you take what you get and like it. If you aren't going to like it, don't get pregnant.

So, wonder whatever you please, but don't ask. I know you didn't say you asked, but people do actually do this; I experienced it. And although the "average" family may be two kids, three still falls in the "totally normal" range and not in the "I wonder why they have SO MANY kids!" range.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:30 PM

16,374 posts, read 18,366,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What are you smoking? Plenty of people will keep having kids and contributing to the problem. Not to mention you work in a hospital. Surely you know modern medicine is increasing the lifespan.
Yes, but it seems that growth is slowing worldwide and that the population will begin to decrease eventually.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Quote:
Population in the world is currently (2019-2020) growing at a rate of around 1.08% per year (down from 1.10% in 2018, 1.12% in 2017 and 1.14% in 2016). The current average population increase is estimated at 82 million people per year.

Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at around 2%. The rate of increase has nearly halved since then, and will continue to decline in the coming years.

World population will therefore continue to grow in the 21st century, but at a much slower rate compared to the recent past. World population has doubled (100% increase) in 40 years from 1959 (3 billion) to 1999 (6 billion). It is now estimated that it will take another nearly 40 years to increase by another 50% to become 9 billion by 2037.

The latest world population projections indicate that world population will reach 10 billion persons in the year 2057.
OTOH, a Canadian political scientist is predicting a decline sooner than that.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-worl...out-of-people/

Quote:
there was a whole body of demographers who have been questioning the UN’s numbers for years. They’ve just been talking to each other at conferences and through scholarly articles, but they’ve never gotten this information before the general public.
Quote:
We polled 26 countries asking women how many kids they want, and no matter where you go the answer tends to be around two. The external forces that used to dictate people having bigger families are disappearing everywhere. And that's happening fastest in developing countries. In the Philippines, for example, fertility rates dropped from 3.7 percent to 2.7 percent from 2003 to 2018. That's a whole kid in 15 years. In the US, that change happened much more slowly, from about 1800 to the end of the Baby Boom. So that’s the scenario we’re asking people to contemplate.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:30 PM

11,654 posts, read 4,431,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I may have overreacted. But that was because it really, really bothered me when I was pregnant with my third child and people would observe my two girls and say, "Oh, so you're trying for a boy?" No, I wasn't. It was a rude and intrusive thing to say. The very idea of "trying for a boy/girl" is dumb to begin with because you take what you get and like it. If you aren't going to like it, don't get pregnant.

So, wonder whatever you please, but don't ask. I know you didn't say you asked, but people do actually do this; I experienced it. And although the "average" family may be two kids, three still falls in the "totally normal" range and not in the "I wonder why they have SO MANY kids!" range.
I have three kids myself so I'm not sure why anyone would think I go around judging people with three kids.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:33 PM

88,132 posts, read 104,352,250 times
My daughter is a Millennial. She just had a baby in July; her BFF had one November 1. It seems like many of her friends are having kids right now, and some are on their second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or