U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 AM

12,234 posts, read 20,809,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There have been recent studies that show the birth rate has declined and that does make sense. Some women and men don’t feel the need to have children to have a life worth living. It’s become more acceptable. However I feel like I constantly am seeing social media posts of people who have large families. Like don’t even bother posting pics of your kids anymore unless you have a brood of at least 3.

Is having big families become a thing again? Seems hard to understand how since many women don’t even have their first kid until 35 or over. If you started that late it’s less likely that you will end up with more than 2 kids unless you do IVf which a lot of people do these days I guess.

Personally I’m not a fan of the big family thing because well overpopulation. People don’t need to be having 4 or 5 kids these days even if they have the money. It’s bad for the planet and will take its toll on generations to come.

So am I the only one surrounded by people with 3 or more kids? Apparently having one or two kids just isn’t good enough.
I’ve got a niece and nephew who live in a wealthier community. They have two and three kids each. However a number of their friends have four and five and the number of their friends have one or two. It’s kind of all over the board, but, yes, I am seeing more people having more kids.

Mainly because in my generation, we tended to have one or two.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:36 AM

2,219 posts, read 792,257 times
Less kids people are having.

I don't want them, most of my friends don't either. We are in our mid 30s.

A lot more to life now than in the 50s where there was basically nothing to do but have children, lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 AM

8,098 posts, read 1,897,628 times
Lower income people have more kids than upper income people, and I also suspect that, generally speaking, they are more likely to post on social media.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ome-in-the-us/

P.S. I am 66, and I don't personally know any families now who have more than three children. When I was a kid, almost all the families I knew had at least three kids. (Five in my family, and six in my husband's -- and not Catholic, btw.) However, my mom had only four grandchildren and my husband's mom had only three!

Imo, responsible people don't have more children than they want and can afford to support without SNAP or TANF.

Last edited by katharsis; 11-18-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 09:00 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,671,240 times
I have been noticing that trend of everyone having multiple (2+ kids) recently but I could be because I am in my mid 30s, so most women are trying to get that last one in before 35. I also have friends who are not married with no kids but those are rare now. The first wave of 3rd child hit our friends group this year with 4 friends having their 3rd. Most were planned, one girl had IVF for her first 2 due to PCOS and was surprise to be naturally pregnant 3rd time.

I do see that around me but that is how it should be I guess

Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 AM

7,287 posts, read 4,528,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Lower income people have more kids than upper income people, and I also suspect that, generally speaking, they are more likely to post on social media.
I don't think the bolded is true at all; rather the opposite. All right, I don't personally know many people with children who are actually low income, as I live in a fairly affluent area. However, the ones who are on the lower end of the "middle to upper class spectrum" are not the ones who are constantly posting photos of their kids, who just happen to be at Disney World, in Hawaii, in Cancun, on a cruise, in front of their newly built house on the Newport Back Bay, or on a year-long family tour of the world (all real examples from my Facebook).

Old 11-18-2019, 09:57 AM

16,144 posts, read 27,348,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What are you smoking? Plenty of people will keep having kids and contributing to the problem. Not to mention you work in a hospital. Surely you know modern medicine is increasing the lifespan.
I'm not smoking anything. The birth rate at nations all over the planet are in decline. The problem is not more kids, the problem is less kids. Yes I work in a hospital and while we have the ability to live a long and productive life, 75% of the people in hospitals are there for self inflicted reasons. They eat too much, they drink too much, they continue to smoke or use E cigarettes. Vaping has become a problem. People choose a lifestyle that will not allow them to live a long life.

Also, since yes I work in a hospital and we have 8 of them in the area, Birth rates are down. Several of our Hospitals have gotten out of the birthing business. We own two Hospitals and one of them does no births anymore.

The problem we have is too many people listening to the preachers of world population while not following what is really happening.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/24/healt...udy/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/u...-decrease.html

The article below points to the Birthrate starting to decline in 2040

“The world population will never reach nine billion people,” he now believes, “It will peak at eight billion in 2040 and then decline.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/scie...tter-1.3808527

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46118103

Old 11-18-2019, 12:49 PM

19,063 posts, read 23,898,472 times
I have friend in their 30s and 40s. I see more threes, four and a couple of five child families, all planned, while the other half are having none.

It will balance out.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 PM

596 posts, read 147,129 times
That is a good point in that while I do know people with 3+ kids I also know people who are not having any at this point.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:39 PM

8,619 posts, read 5,370,387 times
My locale is relatively (but not vehemently) conservative. It is common to say, that poorer people have more kids, whether intentionally or through negligence, while more affluent people are disaffected by the idea of reproduction, and have few kids, or none. What I instead find is that the more "alternative" types - the sort who frequent coffee-shops and eschew cars as societal ills - tend to have few kids, or none outright. The more mainstream ones, whether affluent or poor, devoutly religious or atheist, tend to have at least two, and often more.

A sentiment that I hear occasionally, from the more affluent types, is that because they have the resources, they should have more children, not as a personal indulgence or merit-badge, but as a sort of social duty. This may be especially acute, because my own generational cohort was born right around the peak of the "baby bust", and perhaps feels some ethical or moral duty to compensate.

But more important than the specific number of children, I find that society at large just assumes that adults of a certain age will have had children who have by now reached a certain age (in my generation, those would probably now be teenagers). This isn't some desperate attempt on my part to claim discrimination, or to assert a victim-status... it's just a basic reality. Whether a family has only two children, or a "full quiver", their lives revolve around family, and those who don't have similar family structure, will have to seek alternatives... perhaps among the gourmet-coffee, anti-car set?

Old 11-18-2019, 03:54 PM

6,512 posts, read 10,146,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
After I wrote this I actually went on Facebook and saw a family that just had their 5th. I know of two other families with 5. I have two I guess I’m a weirdo. I cannot imagine how people have 5 kids.

I am not a bitter infertile woman either. I had my two quickly and that was all I wanted. I want to have enough time for each of them and yes I do like to have some time (and money) for myself.

Some of these families are well off but I’m not sure how well off one could be in the Boston area with 4 or 5 kids these days.

In the end to each their own. Do people even think about how them having 5 kids might affect other people, like even their own families at parties etc?
Why do people think having alot of kids means your broke? Maybe for the working class. Studies show the wealthy are having more children than anyone else.

The reason the richest women in the US are the ones having the most kids

Why rich Families are Having more Kids

It's a new day and time. Large families are no longer synonymous with poverty and struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or