U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 05:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 873,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When kids start getting multiple broken arms and a broken wrist, it worries me. He's not doing any sports where he should be breaking bones unless that football is tackle football and not flag football.

Broken arms and especially a broken wrist can be symptoms of child abuse.
Or something medical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 05:37 PM

11,656 posts, read 4,437,147 times
My daughter piled up injuries in gymnastics and wound up in physical therapy, and we had tons of medical bills. I took her out of gymnastics and she hasn't asked to return to the sport. I think even she realizes that it's not worth it.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 PM

11,656 posts, read 4,437,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When kids start getting multiple broken arms and a broken wrist, it worries me. He's not doing any sports where he should be breaking bones unless that football is tackle football and not flag football.

Broken arms and especially a broken wrist can be symptoms of child abuse.
The OP said that this child plays football, in addition to several other sports. If he's doing that much athletics, it's entirely possible he could break a few bones here and there.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is child abuse. This could cause a lot of suffering for the family if CPS becomes needlessly involved.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 PM

44,030 posts, read 53,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The OP said that this child plays football, in addition to several other sports. If he's doing that much athletics, it's entirely possible he could break a few bones here and there.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is child abuse. This could cause a lot of suffering for the family if CPS becomes needlessly involved.
True, but tons of us were multisport athletes our whole lives and didn't rack this number of injuries.

Plus I have a multisport kid this age and none of the kids he is with have had this level/number of injuries.

Plus I see a lot of pediatric sports injuries in the ED...this many in one kid...weird.

The whole picture should taise a medical alert and possibly a CPS one.

Or maybe he should quit sports bc he is way too clumsy.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 PM

23,563 posts, read 30,179,916 times
Very simple to check whether or not those are sports injuries. A two minute discussion with the coach is all it takes.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 AM

25,287 posts, read 18,749,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

The injury occurred during a basketball game. He's never had surgery so recovery will be a challenge and a change for him. He broke the same arm earlier in the spring.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM

3,479 posts, read 3,353,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The injury occurred during a basketball game. He's never had surgery so recovery will be a challenge and a change for him. He broke the same arm earlier in the spring.

Perhaps his previous injuries weren't healed correctly.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:47 AM

742 posts, read 1,195,788 times
Perhaps he has a calcium or vitamin D or C deficiency? Too much soda is also thought to contribute to weak bones. The frequent breakage should be brought to the attention of his pediatrician who may not be realizing how often this has happened with this child.

Exercise strengthens bones and also speeds recovery of broken bones, even when you are not exercising the limb with the broken bone. For those reasons, I would not pull the child out of sports.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:57 AM

88,145 posts, read 104,364,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Doctor should look into why he's having all these injuries. Parents should ask if doctor does not bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Perhaps he has a calcium or vitamin D or C deficiency? Too much soda is also thought to contribute to weak bones. The frequent breakage should be brought to the attention of his pediatrician who may not be realizing how often this has happened with this child.

Exercise strengthens bones and also speeds recovery of broken bones, even when you are not exercising the limb with the broken bone. For those reasons, I would not pull the child out of sports.
And heeeere we go! Now there will be a barrage of suggestions of "treatments" from people with no health care background who have never seen the kid. The only part of this post I agree with is the non-bold, and I am a retired pediatric RN.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 AM

3,479 posts, read 3,353,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Doctor should look into why he's having all these injuries. Parents should ask if doctor does not bring it up.

And heeeere we go! Now there will be a barrage of suggestions of "treatments" from people with no health care background who have never seen the kid. The only part of this post I agree with is the non-bold, and I am a retired pediatric RN.
You failed to highlight where the poster said to talk to his pediatrician. You also failed to read the many posts that have said to talk to his doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or