U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 07:51 AM

25,287 posts, read 18,749,584 times

Advertisements

One thing to note is that he is a BIG boy. His dad is about 6'6" and his mom is a little over 6'. I'm not exactly sure how tall he is, but he is probably the size of the average 10-11 year old, maybe a little older. He's got a belly, but broad shoulders for a kid and just big all over.

It almost seems like his bones have "grown with" the rest of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 08:56 AM

44 posts, read 2,748 times
This kid has some issue. Breaking so many bones during sports is not common. I know one of my friend who have two kids who have weak bone issues and their bones are broken even with a normal injury. Most of the kids join clubs and sport and are into sports too My 9 year old son plays cricket, skates, football and never encountered an injury serious enough to break bone. You should get him checked seriously for having weak bone issues. This is really concerning me. Keep us posted.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 AM

8,831 posts, read 6,611,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My aunt's grandson is about to turn 8 in February. His mom has had him in a little bit of everything - baseball, football, basketball, and tae kwon do. He broke his right humerus yesterday, and it's likely going to require surgery.

Over the years, the kid has suffered several injuries. He's broken his right arm once before, his left arm once, and one of his wrists. Now with surgery coming up, he's going to be sidelined awhile longer, and this injury sounds more severe.

He'll probably want to continue sports, but with the injuries piling up, would you have him wait until he's older?
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Both of my children were in a variety of sports when they were kids. My numerous nieces and nephews, as well as my many great nieces and nephews were/are also in sports (including higher contact sports such as rugby, hockey, football, soccer). Not one of those children ever broke a bone during any of their sports.

Heck, none of them ever broke a bone ever (unless you count my nephew at age 30 who jumped off something way too high and broke an ankle). Oops, I just remembered that a great nephew broke his arm falling off a tall jungle gym at a playground. But, neither break were related to sports.

Is your grandma absolutely sure that these are really sports injuries and not related to other health problems (such as more brittle bones, poor diet or overall poor health) or even abuse? Perhaps, her adult child is not telling her the whole truth.

Of course, not your child so it is technically none of your business, but I would be a little concerned, too.
^^I'd be a lot more concerned about an underlying health problem.

Most kids break an arm or a collarbone at some point in their youth. Both wrists, both arms, and an upper arm at eight is A LOT.

Kids are kinda supposed to be resilient to wiping out on bikes and whatnot.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:24 AM

8,831 posts, read 6,611,118 times
Quote:
One thing to note is that he is a BIG boy. His dad is about 6'6" and his mom is a little over 6'. I'm not exactly sure how tall he is, but he is probably the size of the average 10-11 year old, maybe a little older. He's got a belly, but broad shoulders for a kid and just big all over.

It almost seems like his bones have "grown with" the rest of him.
^^Even stranger honestly. If he were undersized and getting bumped around I'd think it makes more sense.

That said, I had a cousin that had repeated arm injuries and kept breaking his arms. It did end up being a medical thing.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

25,287 posts, read 18,749,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
^^Even stranger honestly. If he were undersized and getting bumped around I'd think it makes more sense.

That said, I had a cousin that had repeated arm injuries and kept breaking his arms. It did end up being a medical thing.
I broke the same wrist twice between middle and high school. The first incident was our gym teacher made us ran forward across the floor then backward to the starting position - I lost my footing running backward and extended the wrist to catch myself. The second injury was in football, but at the time, I was way undersized for football.

He had successful surgery on Friday. Aunt says he is supposed to be seeing an orthopedist for follow-up on the repeated injuries.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

3,479 posts, read 3,353,067 times
Quote:
I broke the same wrist twice between middle and high school. The first incident was our gym teacher made us ran forward across the floor then backward to the starting position - I lost my footing running backward and extended the wrist to catch myself. The second injury was in football, but at the time, I was way undersized for football.

He had successful surgery on Friday. Aunt says he is supposed to be seeing an orthopedist for follow-up on the repeated injuries.
An orthopedist should have done the surgery. Who did the surgery?

Old Today, 01:43 PM

88,141 posts, read 104,364,430 times
Quote:

Glad he's getting the followup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or