U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 AM

25,246 posts, read 18,707,789 times

Advertisements

My aunt's grandson is about to turn 8 in February. His mom has had him in a little bit of everything - baseball, football, basketball, and tae kwon do. He broke his right humerus yesterday, and it's likely going to require surgery.

Over the years, the kid has suffered several injuries. He's broken his right arm once before, his left arm once, and one of his wrists. Now with surgery coming up, he's going to be sidelined awhile longer, and this injury sounds more severe.

He'll probably want to continue sports, but with the injuries piling up, would you have him wait until he's older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 10:18 AM

17,851 posts, read 18,188,839 times
Both of my children were in a variety of sports when they were kids. My numerous nieces and nephews, as well as my many great nieces and nephews were/are also in sports (including higher contact sports such as rugby, hockey, football, soccer). Not one of those children ever broke a bone during any of their sports.

Heck, none of them ever broke a bone ever (unless you count my nephew at age 30 who jumped off something way too high and broke an ankle). Oops, I just remembered that a great nephew broke his arm falling off a tall jungle gym at a playground. But, neither break were related to sports.

Is your grandma absolutely sure that these are really sports injuries and not related to other health problems (such as more brittle bones, poor diet or overall poor health) or even abuse? Perhaps, her adult child is not telling her the whole truth.

Of course, not your child so it is technically none of your business, but I would be a little concerned, too.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:22 AM

13,337 posts, read 14,581,679 times
I have to second what germaine2626 has said. I cannot recall any kids I knew that every had that many injuries at that age. I too would be concerned that he has a health problem, and not just a case of severe bad luck.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:04 AM

11,183 posts, read 14,823,372 times
My son was diagnosed with osteopenia when he was still fairly young, maybe 10 or 11. He'd being doing tae kwon do, t-ball and soccer since he started school. Never had a broken bone from any of it. If grandson broke a bone in tae kwon do it's time for a new instructor. Otherwise he may just be awkward and something of a klutz, maybe a different sport, like swimming or golf, would more up his alley.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM

565 posts, read 183,800 times
I agree with the above. I would be more inclined to believe this is a health issue as bones dont break very easily particularly in young children. There bones are growing so rapidly it takes quite a bit of trauma to break them.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:28 PM

3,476 posts, read 3,348,256 times
My 11 year old broke his leg (tibia and fibula) 4 weeks ago. The orthopedist, who initially viewed the x-rays, said there was a 75% chance of surgery with screws and rods. Another PA looked at it and said the same thing.

His breaks are healing nicely after only 4 weeks without surgery. The X-ray taken two weeks ago shows signs of healing. He is set to get a shorter cast on Friday.

My son comes home from school frequently telling me how this classmate or that one is in a cast, walking boot or splint because they hurt themselves skate boarding, playing soccer or in some other way. Heck, a 9 year old neighbor fell off his bike two weeks ago and broke both of his arms.

Kids heal much quicker than adults because they have so much growth left to do. No he shouldn't wait to play sports but he should follow his doctor's orders and only return when he's supposed to.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:52 PM

25,246 posts, read 18,707,789 times
Apparently they are doing surgery.

It's just concerning the amount of damage such a young body has already piled up.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:12 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,479,025 times
Four breaks and he is only 8? That is definitely cause for concern. How did they occur?

Old 11-19-2019, 03:30 PM

23,513 posts, read 30,134,591 times
That's a lot of breaks. Perhaps a bone density test might not be out of line?

I always figured that my kid bounced instead of breaking. He and his friends never took much care and never ended up with broken bones, which was actually a bit surprising, considering.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:40 PM

23,513 posts, read 30,134,591 times
When kids start getting multiple broken arms and a broken wrist, it worries me. He's not doing any sports where he should be breaking bones unless that football is tackle football and not flag football.

Broken arms and especially a broken wrist can be symptoms of child abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or