U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2019, 04:28 PM
 
6,511 posts, read 10,143,814 times
Reputation: 8182

Advertisements

I know in my culture (caribbean) if you as a young adult don't make any attempts to speak to elders, show affection, and respect, you will quickly get a bad reputation and worse. So it's possibly he may come from a more extroverted upbringing and interpreted your quietness and introversion as disrespect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2019, 07:00 PM
 
1,429 posts, read 3,709,555 times
Reputation: 2041
bit·ter
/ˈbidər/
of people or their feelings or behavior) angry, hurt, or resentful because of one's bad experiences or a sense of unjust treatment.
"I don't feel jealous or bitter"
synonyms: resentful, embittered, aggrieved, dissatisfied, disgruntled, discontented, grudge-bearing, grudging, begrudging, indignant, rancorous, splenetic, spiteful, jaundiced, ill-disposed, sullen, sour, churlish, morose, petulant, peevish, with a chip on one's shoulder
"a bitter old woman"

If you are holding onto a statement a decade old, looking for validation, you might be a bitter person. You step father may not have been doing anything other than making a statement about your personality. A statement of his perception of your behavior. You dont like the labor, step out of yourself and see from another's perspective. If it doesn't affect you as you claim, go on with your life as you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2019, 07:07 PM
 
Location: southern california
56,695 posts, read 75,733,012 times
Reputation: 49565
As a young man many people said rotten things to me
None of them turned out true just rotten people saying rotten things about a young man don’t take it to heart try hard and you will pass them all up like I did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM
 
74 posts, read 45,258 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
bit·ter
/ˈbidər/
of people or their feelings or behavior) angry, hurt, or resentful because of one's bad experiences or a sense of unjust treatment.
"I don't feel jealous or bitter"
synonyms: resentful, embittered, aggrieved, dissatisfied, disgruntled, discontented, grudge-bearing, grudging, begrudging, indignant, rancorous, splenetic, spiteful, jaundiced, ill-disposed, sullen, sour, churlish, morose, petulant, peevish, with a chip on one's shoulder
"a bitter old woman"

If you are holding onto a statement a decade old, looking for validation, you might be a bitter person. You step father may not have been doing anything other than making a statement about your personality. A statement of his perception of your behavior. You dont like the labor, step out of yourself and see from another's perspective. If it doesn't affect you as you claim, go on with your life as you are.
I don't know how to treat him. Should I be nice to him or ignore him completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM
 
74 posts, read 45,258 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Based on the dollar story, I'd say you come off as very bitter, yolo. I can't imagine having ongoing relationships where those tiny slights don't occur all the time.

So a long time ago, your stepdad mentioned you are bitter, and your cousin didn't pay up on a dollar bet.

What else ya got?
The one dollar is not a big deal. Sometimes words cut deep and have a lasting impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM
 
1,429 posts, read 3,709,555 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I don't know how to treat him. Should I be nice to him or ignore him completely.
How have you interacted this past decade?

As with any human being, you should treat him with respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
 
1,385 posts, read 441,634 times
Reputation: 3013
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I don't know how to treat him. Should I be nice to him or ignore him completely.
It is better to be nice hoping for a good relationship than ignore and damage a relationship. If nothing else, be nice for your mom's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
 
1,141 posts, read 409,074 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
The one dollar is not a big deal. Sometimes words cut deep and have a lasting impact.
You say it's not a big deal but you also said:
Quote:
I can't see her in a completely good light. I can't look at her as someone that I want be around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
 
10,802 posts, read 6,642,952 times
Reputation: 8974
I think you are making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be. You might want to talk to a counselor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,207 posts, read 5,825,480 times
Reputation: 3358
Maybe you are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top