U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM

613 posts, read 155,319 times

Advertisements

How is the mother treating her son like an infant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 01:37 PM

938 posts, read 562,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I have a son and this would not have bothered me. Nudity is not sexuality and should not be so taboo. But, its your call. For me, it would not have been a big deal.
So much this. At that age it's no different then "swimming". Good grief let them be kids.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:03 PM

6,949 posts, read 3,249,871 times
Sounds like the parent finds the bedwetting more of an issue then the young boys. They are kids enjoying a friendship. They got a better grasp of what is important then a parent who is questioning the bathing and bed attire then saying...so what snacks did you have...what fun things did you do there?

Be the parent that guides and supports the child as he grows up. Your concerns may not be his.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 PM

47 posts, read 10,988 times
Unless the families have been friends since the boys were very young, or even before the children's birth, 6 is a little young to spend the night away from home. With the exception of family members.

And for a child with bed-wetting issues, even more so.

One thing that was learned: the friend has the same issue which kind of makes it nice for the boys, no embarrassment or negative judgement.

Re The Bath, I'm in two minds about it.
1. Unforseen incidents like that are why 6 year olds are too young to spend the night away from home.
2. Friend probably has a bath before bed every night, very common bedtime routine for a lot of children, and Mom just put them in together thinking they'd have fun splashing around. And sounds like they did.

Re The Diaper: Friend's mother did say "diaper"not pull-up so she wasn't hiding anything. And I understand that pull-ups are not recommended for curbing bed-wetting.

However instead of abruptly ending the boys' fun and becoming the meany, this is what I might think of doing in this case.

Invite friend to spend the night next time at your house, it's appropriate to reciprocate friend's hospitality anyway.

Ask friend's mom what bedtime routine is at their house, ie. bath, brush teeth, story time, lights out, etc. Good opportunity for both moms to discuss differences/similarities of nighttime routine in a
non-judgemental way. Maybe even discuss pull-ups vs diapers and bed-wetting.

Sounds as though OP was caught a bit off guard by the invitation and just rolled with it in spite of misgivings at the time.

But keep a sharp eye as all parents must do in almost all situations throughout their children's childhood.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:58 PM

69 posts, read 150,050 times
Why in the world would your child need a bath at a sleepover?? I would not find it necessary or appropriate for me to give another person's child a bath without their consent and without a good reason.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:43 PM

16,732 posts, read 13,459,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Two little six year olds sloshing in a tub is eye-raising now??

I took baths with my little sister and we played with toys and splashed and slid wildly and dunked under water till my mother said 'Enough of this mess'!
I was 7 and she was 4 and I remember those good ol' days fondly.

The little boys had fun... let go of your pearls and relax.
I second this. I had naked baths with kids after pre-school/kindergarten in our yard when it was summer because no one thought of bringing swim wear. Boys and girls or just one boy or just one girl. And yes, our parents RUBBED us dry with towels. No one cared.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:16 PM

11,705 posts, read 4,451,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemomb View Post
They boys were really wanting to have the sleepover so I said ok. The sleepover went fine and when I picked up my son Sunday mid morning they were outside playing. I had no clue till Sunday evening when getting my son ready for bed that he said that my friend had the boys take a bath together and then put a regular baby diaper on them. My son didn’t seem to care and just kinda said it in passing as a matter of fact. I was a little appalled that she would actually put a baby diaper on a 6 year old and a little upset she didn’t say anything about the bath. My son great time and is already asking about another sleepover. I trust them and am sure nothing inappropriate happened but I’m still a little hung up about the bath and diaper. Would you say something? Or think that’s nothing to worry about?
You can put diapers on the same way you put on a pull up. By fastening them at the sides first, then have the child put them on like underwear. It doesn't mean the parent put the child down, laid him down like a baby and diapered him. You are way over reacting and I fear you will accuse an innocent person of molestation. That is just dreadful and wrong.

Old Today, 11:08 AM

12,934 posts, read 15,798,259 times
isn't a "pull up" just a fancy diaper?...Your child didn't mind...why do you?

Old Today, 01:17 PM

9,257 posts, read 8,612,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAangel9190 View Post
Why in the world would your child need a bath at a sleepover?? I would not find it necessary or appropriate for me to give another person's child a bath without their consent and without a good reason.
This. ^^

Old Today, 01:32 PM

6,499 posts, read 1,718,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAangel9190 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I find the whole thing weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or