U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 AM

4,331 posts, read 3,983,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister said they were going to do the gender-neutral thing. They painted the baby's bedroom green, and dressed him in neutral colors. By the time he was 2, he had figured out he was a boy and he liked boy stuff like toy cars, superheroes, trains and toy guns. I have a feeling the daycare workers weren't into the whole gender neutral thing, and that's where he was spending most of his waking hours.
That's the part that makes it so clear that it's really a statement about themselves - they're so concerned about raising him "gender neutral", but not so concerned that the kid is mostly being raised by daycare.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 02:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 5,761,000 times
It's ridiculous. A child's sex doesn't determine what clothes they can wear or what toys they can play with, and as they reach the toddler years and learn to differentiate between boys and girls then knowing their sex is an important part of their developing identity.

My toddler is a boy, I dress him in a variety of clothes from the boy's side and the girl's side (and mostly the bright colourful unisex toddler clothes that are popular here in the Nordic countries) and a variety of toys, he loves his cars and his babies (dolls). I consider that to be gender-neutral parenting - ignoring the gender stereotypes and norms but not ignoring the reality of his sex. As he grows old enough to show his own preferences I'll go with them, just like I did with his big sister (she went though the pink princess phase, then a tomboy phase, and now is on the more feminine side of neutral)

Old 11-24-2019, 11:07 PM

1,165 posts, read 812,884 times
We didn't push gender roles on our kids, besides disallowing dresses and skirts for our son and topless bathing attire for our daughter. However, about two weeks worth of peer interaction in Kindergarten had them fully indoctrinated.

Well, except for our son's pink backpack. A girl tried to tell him he had a girl's backpack. He very concisely set her straight by telling her:
1. This is my backpack.
2. I am a boy.
3. Therefore, it is a boy's backpack.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:05 AM

6,521 posts, read 5,606,192 times
Oldest grandson went through a phase when he was really into toy food and cookware. I gathered up his mother's (DD's) old toy food and dishes she'd played with as a child, including her old Fisher Price tea set and toy birthday cake. His favorite play with that stuff wasn't "tea party", but "birthday party". He was always hosting birthday parties for his favorite stuffed toy. Later, I added to it with another set of toy food I gave him for Christmas. This set included a purple and pink polka dotted apron and matching oven mitts. We added to that a toy kitchen outgrown by a girl cousin. He eventually lost interest, but now youngest grandson (3) likes to pretend to "cook", and likes wearing the apron. Nobody ridicules him, not since Gordon Ramsey arrived on the scene.

Once, he caught me reapplying my lip gloss and wanted some on, too. I obliged him. He looked at himself in the mirror, made a face, and then wiped it off.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:51 AM

6,067 posts, read 4,434,547 times
How about this disturbing (and ridiculous) trend? A progressive sexual education program for children ages 9-12.

https://tnc.news/2019/11/19/shepherd...UYF47ODzv8GrMw

Quote:
Criticizing sex ed programs often ends up with the critic being accused of the “Think of the Children!” trope, or being caught up in moral panic. Those who critique the modern sex ed agenda are also called puritans and prudes.

It is, however, unsettling that a publicly available video was made where in the first scene children are groaning and covering their eyes when talking about sexual topics, but in the next scene handling cloth breasts and genitals to pin on a doll, as they are filmed exclaiming things like “that’s a hairy penis.”

If objecting to this iteration of a Sex Ed School program makes me a puritan prude, that’s fine by me.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 AM

8,171 posts, read 1,924,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
We didn't push gender roles on our kids, besides disallowing dresses and skirts for our son and topless bathing attire for our daughter. However, about two weeks worth of peer interaction in Kindergarten had them fully indoctrinated.

Well, except for our son's pink backpack. A girl tried to tell him he had a girl's backpack. He very concisely set her straight by telling her:
1. This is my backpack.
2. I am a boy.
3. Therefore, it is a boy's backpack.
Love your son's response! (Sorry, I couldn't rep you again.)

Btw, in my opinion, I agree with the majority that this whole "issue" is just STUPID and so are the parents and other people who think that people should parent as though whether a child is a boy or girl is a matter of choice.

P.S. However, I do believe in encourage a child's interests, whether hair styling or auto mechanics, whether they are "gender appropriate" or not.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM

11,292 posts, read 21,270,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
That's the part that makes it so clear that it's really a statement about themselves - they're so concerned about raising him "gender neutral", but not so concerned that the kid is mostly being raised by daycare.
I know. I understood it was necessary when they were both working full-time, but now she's not working and she still takes him to daycare three days a week so she can spend those days shopping. And he won't wear underwear, shoes, socks or clothes that aren't pajamas, no one hears him speak but she tells us what he's said, he can't sit still for even a minute or make eye contact with anyone...I just feel like he needs help he's not getting and when he goes to kindergarten next year it's going to be horrible for him.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:54 AM

590 posts, read 195,642 times
Yesterday my 5 year old son asked us to repaint his room pink and purple. I had to say no. Its ridiculous for him to even ask.

We just painted his room a year ago and it took a week to do those red and white checks everywhere for his racecar room. Honestly, its way to soon to be repainting.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:58 AM

39 posts, read 11,897 times
Was that an article on child abuse?

This sounds like it could become another Anne Georgulas case.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:19 AM

11,246 posts, read 14,873,914 times
At some point they'll run smack into biology. I do remember trying to explain to my young son that he would never have a 'baby bump', although it was kind of fun to watch the family's horrified faces when he walked around 'nursing' various dolls or pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or