U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:31 AM

4,331 posts, read 3,983,800 times

Advertisements

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paren...AfB-6brG1EUGwa

This really blew me away. I can understand not stereotyping children, not forcing a child who obviously chooses toys, clothing, behavior of the opposite sex into the role that matches his/her biological sex. I can certainly understand not piercing a girl's earlobes until she's old enough to make that choice for herself. I can understand having on hand both trucks and dolls as toys. I can understand having both pants and skirts on hand (although offering a biologically male child dresses and skirts is a recipe for disaster in our culture). But to raise a child without any reference to the gender that child is, seems so out of step with our culture as to be disabling to that child. To try to raise a child without ever referencing that child's biological sex (until the day that the child discovers the outside world, and figures out about boys, girls, and that he/she is one of them, and screams out, "I'm a boy/girl! Can't you see that?") seems not only unwise, but cruel.

Oh well, the first child is always the parents' grand experiment. The second, not as much. And by the third or later, parents are so overwhelmed with responsibilities that they just kind of let those ones grow up, without tremendous parental interference. They usually turn out the least messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 11:48 AM

1,231 posts, read 410,549 times
I totally agree Parent.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:03 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,017,583 times
I also agree, OP. I honestly couldn't finish reading the article.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:12 PM

1,333 posts, read 878,930 times
I believe that not only is it ridiculous, but a form of child abuse. I read a article about a couple raising their son gender neutral. The mother dressed her little 2 yr old boy in tutus, nail polish and everything in pink. I would bet a hundred bucks that she was disappointed that he wasn’t a girl.

I’m not against a girl playing with cars or a boy playing with a doll, but not acknowledging a child’s sex because one wants to show everyone how “progressive” they are is ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:39 PM

1,165 posts, read 812,884 times
I think we all agree the author is not doing this for the benefit of their child, but rather to keep the spotlight on themselves and their counter-culture parenting choices.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:10 AM

9,347 posts, read 11,171,203 times
That parent is overthinking everything, and I say that as a parent of a transgender kid, now a young adult.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:16 AM

4,005 posts, read 1,561,034 times
My kids sure as hell aren't "gender-neutral" so I'm not gonna raise them as if they are.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:48 AM

19,095 posts, read 23,946,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paren...AfB-6brG1EUGwa

This really blew me away. I can understand not stereotyping children, not forcing a child who obviously chooses toys, clothing, behavior of the opposite sex into the role that matches his/her biological sex. I can certainly understand not piercing a girl's earlobes until she's old enough to make that choice for herself. I can understand having on hand both trucks and dolls as toys. I can understand having both pants and skirts on hand (although offering a biologically male child dresses and skirts is a recipe for disaster in our culture). But to raise a child without any reference to the gender that child is, seems so out of step with our culture as to be disabling to that child. To try to raise a child without ever referencing that child's biological sex (until the day that the child discovers the outside world, and figures out about boys, girls, and that he/she is one of them, and screams out, "I'm a boy/girl! Can't you see that?") seems not only unwise, but cruel.

Oh well, the first child is always the parents' grand experiment. The second, not as much. And by the third or later, parents are so overwhelmed with responsibilities that they just kind of let those ones grow up, without tremendous parental interference. They usually turn out the least messed up.
I think this is bizarre.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:54 AM

11,292 posts, read 21,270,630 times
My sister said they were going to do the gender-neutral thing. They painted the baby's bedroom green, and dressed him in neutral colors. By the time he was 2, he had figured out he was a boy and he liked boy stuff like toy cars, superheroes, trains and toy guns. I have a feeling the daycare workers weren't into the whole gender neutral thing, and that's where he was spending most of his waking hours.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:20 AM

11,693 posts, read 8,871,653 times
There was a tragic story/ experiment on a twin boy who was badly damaged during circumcision. The decision was made to raise him as a girl. It was a horrible life. He knew he was a boy.

When he was an adult he had a lot of attention in the media. He was married with a family. He ended his own life.
I agree with the child abuse opinion.

Kids can't have everything they want. Not a pet unicorn. Not the life of Dora the Explorer. Not a constant diet of sweets. Not a sex change. WTH is wrong with these people who want to be parents then screw it up so badly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or