U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:18 PM

2,778 posts, read 2,155,827 times

Advertisements

A major pet peeve of mine. For example, when my brother was a kid, he had a set of different toy tractors and toy farm equipment that lasted well all throughout his childhood. Back then, at his age, everything was made with steel & metal.

Fast forward to today, with my brother’s son, most of his tractor collection are made with hard durable plastic. Most are already damaged in some way with pieces already broken off. My nephew had received a large toy combine last Christmas and it’s already in rough shape.

Boys & plastic toys don’t mix lol. As anyone would know, many boys like to play rough crashing their toys into things or whatever else they do causing the toy to break apart easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 06:54 AM

602 posts, read 197,530 times
Metal is considered more dangerous. and my son has metal tonka trucks but they were very expensive. they hold up to the abuse though

Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 4,432,226 times
Default Hess trucks!

We have been getting them for 30 years or so for 2 boys (now in their mid-thirties). Just bought new one for Grandson. 35 bucks, and the old ones still look like new. Great quality, batteries included, real rubber wheels. It's just a great well-made, reasonably priced toy. You can't go wrong, check them out.

https://hesstoytruck.com/

Last edited by buddy5; 11-27-2019 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: request from poster

Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 AM

2,778 posts, read 2,155,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Metal is considered more dangerous. and my son has metal tonka trucks but they were very expensive. they hold up to the abuse though
I had bought my nephew a metal tonka truck from Toys 'R Us before they closed. Not sure what happened to the truck as I've hadn't seen it when babysitting him. And yes, it was a bit pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
We have been getting them for 30 years or so for 2 boys (now in their mid-thirties). Just bought new one for Grandson. 35 bucks, and the old ones still look like new. Great quality, batteries included, real rubber wheels. It's just a great well-made, reasonably priced toy. You can't go wrong, check them out.
What's the brand name or website you got them from?

Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 AM

7,763 posts, read 3,221,675 times
Toys have all been junk since the late 70s.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:22 AM

12,395 posts, read 4,952,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I think that's exactly it.

My husband, my brother and I were all 3 injured by tonka trucks, 2 of us severely enough to need stitches, and no one was doing anything out of the ordinary with them.

They're heavy, and have sharp edges.

They were great toys and the ones my husband had are still in fair shape, but by the very nature were dangerous where plastic isn't.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:12 PM

380 posts, read 166,196 times
If your going for cheap and typical all you really will get is the neon bright plastic stuff. If you want the pre-war heavy duty "durable" stuff you'll pay essentially the equivalent of the price of toys back then (children didn't have or expect as many store bought toys as they do now).

You can find a happy medium if you look for it and raise your child to value quality versus quantity. Many of my friends purposely pick toys that have natural textures such as wood and fabric over plastic or excessively painted objects. Online shops like Etsy are great for finding high quality non-plastic toys priced affordably.

I really do think it has more to do about the way parents and children are treating toys as throw away objects after year or so. Many kids have such short attention spans and are used to getting instant gratification that they move on from one thing to another since it's easy to spend under $15 versus spending $30+ on a clunky toy that would be hard to get rid of once your kid moved on to a new thing in a couple months. In some ways cheap is better because if they didn't break they wouldn't have room for more new toys.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:57 PM

25 posts, read 2,644 times
Back then, at his age, everything was made with steel & metal.

You're telling me!! Had metal Tonka, Structo, Nylint and Buddie-L toys when I was a young lad. They took a lot of punishment. Most were still in mint condition when I grew out of them. My Dad gave them away to a cousin's child when I left home to go into the service and they all burned up in a house fire.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 PM

21,829 posts, read 12,548,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

https://hesstoytruck.com/
Yes, Hess Trucks are amazing. We have 14 years worth and some handmedowns and my 15 year is already anticipating the new one he'll get this year.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 940,298 times
My recollection of toys from the 60's is that many of them were pretty awful. Thin sheet metal, bad early plastics, etc. Toys today seem much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or