U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:37 PM

23,986 posts, read 15,479,097 times

Advertisements

I do think he needs a pych eval. Sometimes kids do drugs or drink (if he is doing this) as a form of self medication for conditions like bipolar. With a diagnosis, if that is involved, he could be medicated and possibly have a better chance at a productive life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 AM

11,646 posts, read 21,977,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer'sBreeze View Post
My mother-in-law raised three kids on her own after her husband died. The oldest one started fires and had some other rather odd behaviors. Having known her, I can guarantee it wasn't her fault that he was like that, but it didn't seem to make any difference to some people that the other two children were just fine. They felt that his acting out was proof that she was doing something wrong. That's how it was those days, and apparently some people still think that way.
The OP said the kid is 13, steals, does drugs and is abusive with words. I'd like to know where the 13 year old is getting money for drugs.

I've already said there are kids raised the same who are out of control. I was a wild child according to my dad, drinking at 13 but I wasn't parented like my siblings. My parents could care less what I did.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 4,487,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The OP said the kid is 13, steals, does drugs and is abusive with words. I'd like to know where the 13 year old is getting money for drugs.
No doubt he gets it from stealing. Addicts stealing in order to fund their drug habit is the norm, not the exception.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM

2,032 posts, read 765,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do think he needs a pych eval. Sometimes kids do drugs or drink (if he is doing this) as a form of self medication for conditions like bipolar. With a diagnosis, if that is involved, he could be medicated and possibly have a better chance at a productive life.

My SIL/BIL had a psych eval on the older boy; he was deemed "extremely bright but needs to have his behavior redirected into more positive channels." It was suggested that he wasn't being "intellectually challenged" in school and so they were able to get him into a couple of college classes in computing instead of going to high school a couple days a week (he was a freshman at the time.) He took advantage of that to learn all he could about coding etc, talked his parents into setting up a server, computers, etc etc in a spare bedroom while this was going on, and then (unbeknownst to them) set himself up in a tidy little business hacking into other computers for "customers" on a cash basis. Which came in handy for his drug buying habit.

Before he entered into that little enterprise, he got money by stealing. Neighbors were constantly complaining about things going missing from their yards etc but nobody ever caught him at it. He'd also sell some of the various drugs (prescription and otherwise) that he bought.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:47 AM

7,743 posts, read 4,487,683 times
^^^Sounds like that kid was a sociopath. And unfortunately that's not a curable condition.

As for the kid discussed by the OP, I second the suggestions for a psych evaluation and inpatient drug rehab (which will probably mean getting a social worker involved). I feel for the parents; they are in a tough spot. There's no guarantee that any approach they try will work, but of course they have to do what they feel is right for their son.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 7,199,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I've already said there are kids raised the same who are out of control. I was a wild child according to my dad, drinking at 13 but I wasn't parented like my siblings. My parents could care less what I did.
From stealing! OR he deals a little.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

13,025 posts, read 10,355,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My cousins 13 year old son is out of control. Steals, drugs, abusive with his words, had to be put in a special Ed school. She can’t afford a live in facility and can’t deal with him everyday so her and her husband (not his dad) were thinking of giving him to the state. Wouldn’t they be giving up?
I think it is a drug addiction problem and the other issues are a result of the drug problem. The individual needs treatment. Ideally he will go voluntarily and not have to be forced, but there is no guarantee.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

13,844 posts, read 14,114,632 times
I had a relative like this. He grew up with nothing and his parents were pretty neglectful and even sometimes abusive. He was angry and hopeless for a long time, but he found a job and learned some skills. He dated a woman from a much more functional family and learned how to communicate. He's drug-free and a successful business and family man today. And the state didn't have to take possession of him or anything drastic like that. Unless the kid is an actual danger to other family members, giving him up is kind of a cop out imo.

Old Today, 09:21 AM

932 posts, read 231,822 times
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting