U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

11,142 posts, read 13,143,896 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I understood that the Santa Clause at the stores couldn't all be real. But I still believed in Santa for years after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

4,555 posts, read 1,190,529 times
I silently figured it out for myself as it became less cool to believe in Santa among my peer group as I progressed through elementary school. I didn't say anything to my parents challenging the idea (so long as there were still presents from "Santa" under the tree) and I also didn't say anything the first year there weren't, and all were from family.

It's possible for things to simply be "understood" and not traumatize kids.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

45,800 posts, read 44,083,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post

Any suggestions on how to coax him out of believing?
I wish he had stopped at 5.
This is just sad. Think about what you're saying.

Why must he show scientific-method evidence of un-belief at age 6?? Trust that his cognitive skills will develop and mature as he does, like millions of children before him.

Not every child who believed in Santa was traumatized at the revelation, as some here were. Any efforts by you to try and "neg" your son's belief in Santa along the way could backfire and cause him to doubt himself and his choices and preferences.

Let him work this out on his own. Besides, some other kid will probably blurt it out in front of him anyway. Then your worries will be over.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

159 posts, read 25,951 times
I find it odd that a non-religious atheist would appropriate something from Christian culture, a myth about Santa loosely based on the story of the real man, the Christian Saint Nicholas.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

159 posts, read 25,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I silently figured it out for myself as it became less cool to believe in Santa among my peer group as I progressed through elementary school. I didn't say anything to my parents challenging the idea (so long as there were still presents from "Santa" under the tree) and I also didn't say anything the first year there weren't, and all were from family.

It's possible for things to simply be "understood" and not traumatize kids.
Even if they are traumatized by finding out Santa isn't real, they'll get over it. If they don't get over it, that's not anyone else's fault. Our society triest too hard to protect children from anything even remotely unpleasant. That's a mistake. It is okay for children to find out Santa is a myth.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 716,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I find it odd that a non-religious atheist would appropriate something from Christian culture, a myth about Santa loosely based on the story of the real man, the Christian Saint Nicholas.
I grew up celebrating Christmas. My family was not religious at all, but my parents considered themselves Christian. Celebrating the holiday is part of my heritage.

Also, most of the secular “fun” parts of Christmas have origins outside of Christianity. Halloween also has religious origins, but hundreds of millions of people celebrate it as a secular holiday.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Even if they are traumatized by finding out Santa isn't real, they'll get over it. If they don't get over it, that's not anyone else's fault. Our society triest too hard to protect children from anything even remotely unpleasant. That's a mistake. It is okay for children to find out Santa is a myth.
Children WILL experience disappointment in their young lives, and they MUST learn how to deal with it.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 716,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Children WILL experience disappointment in their young lives, and they MUST learn how to deal with it.
I get this and agree with it. However, I am concerned about disappointment stemming from someone they trust lying to them. I realize we created the issue and I regret it.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I get this and agree with it. However, I am concerned about disappointment stemming from someone they trust lying to them. I realize we created the issue and I regret it.
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy.

"You look great!", "I love your new hair color!" fall into the same boat.

There may be an underlying issue when such far fetched concepts or little white lies are still taken literally after a certain age. I was actually afraid of someone chalking it up to mistrust or miscommunication. It's not your FAULT, I really don't like that word for use in this specific case. It's a tough conversation, and no one likes those, but Santa Claus? Come on!

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

7,764 posts, read 3,212,074 times
I don’t know whether anyone ever grew up to be a serial killer or psychopath because he became so traumatized when he discovered Santa wasn’t real.

Santa is part of our cultural heritage. Honestly, children should be children. In a few short years the magic of childhood and Santa Claus will vanish and they will begin their introduction to the real world.

Give the kids those few short years away from this reality. It will be the only time in their lives when they will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or