Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 12:24 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
It is a creepy tradition.

Of maybe it was a harmless tradition left over from a time when society didn't have creeps all over the place. People respected each other way more. Men wore suits to baseball games. Those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 09:32 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Of maybe it was a harmless tradition left over from a time when society didn't have creeps all over the place. People respected each other way more. Men wore suits to baseball games. Those days.
No.
The creeps were covered up.
The abuse/rapes weren't talked about.
There was no time these activities were not rampant.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I think one of the other things is there is a long term media portrayal of Santas being drunken reprobates. I can remember seeing black-and-white movies where Santas go to the same bar after work and they’re drunk and disgusting. Now I can imagine this does happen on occasion, but I would bet most of them are very much like my husband was, a college student who was active in the drama society getting a Christmas job.

By the way, he was also the Easter Bunny.

He enjoyed being Santa, and he took it seriously. And also, there are companies who put on Santa, and elves and photographic things every year. If one company makes a huge error like that, by hiring a drunken person, they’re not going back into that mall the next year. It’s done. And the word will get around and their company will be done. These companies don’t make tons of money and they’re doing seasonal work — they can’t afford to hire creeps.

I stand with if your kid doesn’t want to do it you don’t make them do it. But to sit there and condemn the whole thing sounds very much like “I’m ever so much smarter than all the rest of you. I don’t understand why you don’t do exactly what I am doing.”

Old 01-02-2020, 10:32 AM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
I agree that parents should make the best choices for their kids. For the parents who want to teach their children boundaries and/or protect them from the evil that could lurk behind the beard, you should also make other arrangements for how gifts are delivered. Because, after all, how do you explain it is ok to leave milk and cookies out for a man who will be breaking and entering?

Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Is there a cure anywhere on the horizon for this epidemic of paranoia (a recognized illness) that has become the norm of every-day society? It's become fairly alarming since few people are aware that they, along with their paranoid neighbors, are suffering from this malady. May I ask for a show of hands on this thread from anyone who is NOT paranoid and they actually KNOW this?
I'n NOT paranoid....and none of my kids sat on "Santa's" lap....though I do remember a lot of kids crying as they were forced to.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
But what will you do if the pants do need to come off? (do you mean pants like trousers or pants like underwear? the issue with my daughter both times was refusing to take off her trousers so the doctor /PT could see her legs) If there's a specific issue in that area that needs to be seen.
I know this is way off topic when we're supposed to be talking about Santa, my daughter had a mole that was covered up by even a swimsuit. She went to the doctor for a sports physical. She must have had a "thong" on and the doctor saw the mole and said she should have it removed. It was melanoma. That was 28 years ago. Thank G*d, the doctor lifted her patient gown and saw the mole. It was completely serendipitous.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I read that woman's story. I think she needs psychiatric help. She is a nutbag. Making Santa out to be a pervert. How crazy is that.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I know this is way off topic when we're supposed to be talking about Santa, my daughter had a mole that was covered up by even a swimsuit. She went to the doctor for a sports physical. She must have had a "thong" on and the doctor saw the mole and said she should have it removed. It was melanoma. That was 28 years ago. Thank G*d, the doctor lifted her patient gown and saw the mole. It was completely serendipitous.
18 years ago, not 28. Was on my phone.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Of maybe it was a harmless tradition left over from a time when society didn't have creeps all over the place. .
Plenty of creeps back then. Lots of creeps and perverts. It was just covered up a lot more.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:52 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
I agree with letting the kids decide for themselves. Makes no sense to me how some parents try to force their kids to fulfill their expectations, especially with something that doesn't even really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting