Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,658,611 times

Advertisements

dont pay!!! if she is old enough to live in sin then she is old enough to pay here way. why do people baby their kids so much? its ridiculous. school is expensive but it is possible. i worked full time all thru out college, it was tuff but i made it. i missed out on parties and some stuff but it was worth it in the end. stop babying her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,418,314 times
Personally I would not pay for her living expenses. My daughter is only 11 years old and we have already talked about her staying at home until she finishes an AS degree. That way she won't have to pay bills etc. Unfortunately (myself included) some girls get the idea that they want to play house with some idiot who in not too long will be gone. Its unfortunate you can't get her to concentrate on school alone. It will be hard going otherwise.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,261,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
...some girls get the idea that they want to play house with some idiot who in not too long will be gone...
This is soooo true. Most relationships in that age bracket do not last long. Put them in the same dwelling and it could deteriorate even faster. She needs to squash this deal before it's too late.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 PM

152 posts, read 335,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
This is soooo true. Most relationships in that age bracket do not last long. Put them in the same dwelling and it could deteriorate even faster. She needs to squash this deal before it's too late.
I agree as well. If she is a freshman, she should really be at a dorm if she wants a taste of living on her own. I don't think she should be shacking up with someone at such a young age, especially when she's got college ahead of her. In my experience, people usually get an apt. off campus in their sophemore year.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,261,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon29 View Post
I agree as well. If she is a freshman, she should really be at a dorm if she wants a taste of living on her own. I don't think she should be shacking up with someone at such a young age, especially when she's got college ahead of her. In my experience, people usually get an apt. off campus in their sophemore year.
Also living in a Dorm (or sorority for that matter) will allow her to connect with more students and build networks of friends who she can study with and participate in activities. Every student needs at least one year of living in a student community to help them adjust to living on their own. My university demanded that all freshmen live in the dorms the first year unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,091,068 times
Nope....save your $$ it's time she grew up.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM

50 posts, read 131,366 times
i pay for college myself. and as for moving out i am going to school full time and working full time. she can do it if she finds a place to work with her school schedule. and shell have help from her boyfriend so i would say no.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM

50,310 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Hell, no.
If her education is paid for, I take it she's on scholarship and fairly bright? If so, she's probably smart enough to understand the concept of the consequences of her actions.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,785,037 times
Put away your checkbook, mom. If she wants to play house, let her pay for it herself. If you're going to pay for anything, make her a gift of a case of condoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting