Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:55 AM

68 posts, read 57,826 times

Advertisements

The people who live next door have two kids ages 6 and 10 years old. I have not seen them since about March 1st. But I hear them every day running and pounding on the walls of their townhouse.

I did see their mother out on the porch and asked about the kids and she said that since the COVID-19 virus started to be an issue she has not allowed the kids to go outside their home. That has been almost four months now with no end in sight.

I don't believe it would be possible for my three kids to stay at home trapped in the house for that long 24/7. They would go nuts and act out. I don't even know if it is healthy to stay indoors 24/7 as kids. In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids, bikes are sold out and everywhere, parks are jammed and kids are playing noncontact sports. But the kids next door remain trapped in their home 24/7. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 04:01 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Just because people are outside doesn't mean they've got to be close to other people. Our next door neighbor won't get anywhere close to other people.

Being locked up inside a house with numerous people is more of a petri-dish than being outside.

Some people just don't have any common sense.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:56 AM

1,744 posts, read 877,932 times
In addition to what Bamaman1 said, she's actually harming the children by keeping them inside. How are they suppose to build up any immune system? What about exercise and actual play? She doesn't seem to have a problem going outside so why won't she let her children have that same pleasure? Makes no sense to me unless the children already have some illness that compromises their immune system.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 AM

142 posts, read 71,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
The people who live next door have two kids ages 6 and 10 years old. I have not seen them since about March 1st. But I hear them every day running and pounding on the walls of their townhouse.

I did see their mother out on the porch and asked about the kids and she said that since the COVID-19 virus started to be an issue she has not allowed the kids to go outside their home. That has been almost four months now with no end in sight.

I don't believe it would be possible for my three kids to stay at home trapped in the house for that long 24/7. They would go nuts and act out. I don't even know if it is healthy to stay indoors 24/7 as kids. In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids, bikes are sold out and everywhere, parks are jammed and kids are playing noncontact sports. But the kids next door remain trapped in their home 24/7. Your thoughts?
Haha how is that child abuse? That's just stupid of the mother to assume the child will get the virus in the yard. Try educating her. Say hey you know it's safe to be outside. If anything, call the cops and say you want a welfare check done because you haven't seen the children in months..... You can legally get an anonymous welfare check done.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:06 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
Haha how is that child abuse? That's just stupid of the mother to assume the child will get the virus in the yard. Try educating her. Say hey you know it's safe to be outside. If anything, call the cops and say you want a welfare check done because you haven't seen the children in months..... You can legally get an anonymous welfare check done.
I agree, I wouldn't say it's flat-out child abuse, just extreme paranoia on the mother's part to not let the kids out at all. A welfare check sounds like a good idea. I wonder what the mother plans to do when the kids go back to school unless they're home-schooled.....

Recently, there was family renting out a cottage near our lakefront property for a week. They had 2 small children about the same age as my niece and nephew. The mother wouldn't let her kids play with my niece and nephew because of her fears about COVID-19. I thought it was sad.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:21 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I agree, I wouldn't say it's flat-out child abuse, just extreme paranoia on the mother's part to not let the kids out at all. A welfare check sounds like a good idea. I wonder what the mother plans to do when the kids go back to school unless they're home-schooled.....

Recently, there was family renting out a cottage near our lakefront property for a week. They had 2 small children about the same age as my niece and nephew. The mother wouldn't let her kids play with my niece and nephew because of her fears about COVID-19. I thought it was sad.
What the what the what???

Old 06-28-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
What the what the what???
Dport185 said it first, not me. lol

Old 06-28-2020, 01:41 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:

My daughter treats pediatric COVID-19 patients, two of whom have just had heart attacks at the ages of 2 and 12. That's sad. I can understand parents wanting to keep their kids safe when the cost of getting the disease is so high physically and emotionally.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
(snip)

I have young grandchildren, and grand-nieces and grand-nephews (four different families in three different states) and as of now (mid June) none of the parents allow their children to play with any other children. Not their friends, not the neighbor children, not their cousins and certainly not random strangers that they do not know anything about.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have young grandchildren, and grand-nieces and grand-nephews (four different families in three different states) and as of now (mid June) none of the parents allow their children to play with any other children. Not their friends, not the neighbor children, not their cousins and certainly not random strangers that they do not know anything about.
Different strokes for different folks. My family recently spent a week camping. My brother and his wife's kids play with other kids on the playground and beach. Also, they play with other kids of their parents' friends who they have invited over for company. Everyone has different opinions about the COVID-19 pandemic. Some people are relaxed about it while others are being very cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting