Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,072 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 19 years old and I enjoy occasionally having a glass of wine or a drink, but have never once became intoxicated. I had three 1 oz bottles of vodka, one was empty, in my closet and my younger sister "stumbled" upon them and told my mother who is, in my opinion making a mountain out of a mole hill. She freaked out because I had, to her knowledge, 1 drink. She is busy trying to develop some kind of punishment and is acting like I deliberately broke her trust and what not. In my opinion, it is not a big deal. I do not go out and get drunk, I don't party, I simply had a drink.

What is your opinion, what would you do if you found out your 19 year old, adult daughter had a drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Well I'm 20 years old.. but if you're living at home, you have no business drinking if your parents are against it. Their house, their rules.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlechica View Post
Hi, I am 19 years old and I enjoy occasionally having a glass of wine or a drink, but have never once became intoxicated. I had three 1 oz bottles of vodka, one was empty, in my closet and my younger sister "stumbled" upon them and told my mother who is, in my opinion making a mountain out of a mole hill. She freaked out because I had, to her knowledge, 1 drink. She is busy trying to develop some kind of punishment and is acting like I deliberately broke her trust and what not. In my opinion, it is not a big deal. I do not go out and get drunk, I don't party, I simply had a drink.

What is your opinion, what would you do if you found out your 19 year old, adult daughter had a drink?
Where did you get the 1-oz bottles of vodka? Where do you get the wine when you drink it?
Do you have any alcoholism in your family? Did you mix that vodka you drank with anything or just drink it straight? If it's no big deal can you just stop drinking period so as to not worry your mother? Does the thought of not drinking anymore make you feel a little anxious? How long have you been drinking? Do you usually drink alone?

Last edited by laysayfair; 04-29-2008 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
if it's no big deal, why were you hiding them in your closet?
when you hide something it's because you know it's wrong--also when you do something in secret--it's not a good sign.
it's the same as hording/hiding food which developes into an eating disorder.
the US has such a problem with underage drinking and over drunkenness during the early 20's.
i dont know the stats in other countries, but i am guessing most countries dont have it as bad as here.
my parents never forbade me to drink, and so i was allowed to taste things. i never developed a taste for it and so i dont drink at all.
my brother was obviously raised in the same way, and he drinks socially, but does not get drunk every time he goes out. he will usually have some wine with dinner and maybe a couple of drinks while at a club.
i wonder if the fact that the parents are so adament that their children not drink, is making the kids go overboard...

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
I would do the same thing your mother is doing. Underage drinking is a serious issue and the fact that you're whining about your mother actually being a parent and taking a stand on this shows that you are not mature enough to handle the consequences of your actions and shouldn't be drinking in the first place. And in my opinion-you are setting a horrible example for your little sister. You want to be grown then start by abiding by your mother's rules in her house, the laws surrounding drinking, and take your punishment without crying about how unfair it is.

For the record, I didn't drink before I turned 21 because I wasn't "allowed" to. I think it's dumb that an 18 year old can go off to war and kill somebody, but can't have a beer at the end of the day, but just because I think that way doesn't change the fact that that is how it is for now. And I'm just as hard on my underage brother and sister surrounding this issue.

Would you be mad at her if she wanted to punish you for driving the car at 15 because you thought you could handle it and didn't see the need for a liscence?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
At 19, you should be able to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer or a cocktail without having to hide it from your parents.

Because people make such a big deal about alcohol in this country -- we have rampant underage (and legal age) binge drinking.

I was raised in a family culture where alcohol (wine) was part of a meal and to be savored and enjoyed with food.

I don't see a problem with a 19 year old having a drink -- but she shouldn't have to hide it

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I don't blame your mom for freaking out because that's what parents do. You'll need to abide by what she decides to do because you're living in her house. Apologize to her and reassure her that you won't be drinking until you're 21.

If you honestly believe drinking isn't a problem for you, that's great. But it's a bit worrisome that you had vodka hidden in your closet and apparently drank a bottle by yourself. That's not really a healthy way to be drinking. Be very honest with yourself and careful as you take these last steps toward adulthood. You're almost there--don't screw it up now!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 AM

269 posts, read 811,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But it's a bit worrisome that you had vodka hidden in your closet and apparently drank a bottle by yourself.
FYI... she said they were 1 OUNCE bottles... It's a shot. I don't think she had to share that...

Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I think it depends on the laws in your state. If the drinking age is 21 and you are drinking in your parents house, you are risking them being charged and put in jail.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlechica View Post

Hey, if drinking before 21 is against house rules, then it's against the rules. Period. If you live in your parents' house, then you follow their rules.

The telling phrase in your OP is "to her knowledge." That's exactly the point. She has no idea how much you're drinking, with whom, and where. The fact that you're hiding hooch in your closet tells her that you've got a bigger problem than you may admit to. So she's fully justified in being concerned.

If you really wanted a better response to this issue, you should have gone to her and discussed this before it became a controversy in the household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting