Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

I'm a long time Vanity Fair subscriber and Annie Leibowitz fan (although I doubt I spelled her name right) but I have to place the blame on Annie. She should not have styled those types of photos with an underage girl in the name of art. Sure Miley's parents should have said No Way, but I'm guessing photography subjects trust Annie a lot due to her talent and reputation and they just do whatever she says, trusting her to be tasteful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM

53 posts, read 382,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
I just seen some of the pictures and I think it is sad to see a young beautiful girl like Miley posing like that, but what is even sadder is that unfortunately it has become a norm. Like some other poster's have written, this is the world of teenagers nowadays.

Everyday, young girls are posing like this and far worse for their myspace pictures and pictures they are sending through their cell phones. I tend to really get upset with celebrities and the images that they portray as being "cool" or what not. But, this morning as I was thinking about it all, I think a lot of teenagers are more concerned with idolizing their peers than they are with idolizing what they see on t.v. (not saying that this idolization does not happen, just that it is not as top of the list as we tend to believe it to be). I have a 15 year old daughter and I know that with her it is more about what her friends are wearing and doing than what someone on t.v. is wearing and doing. I can't imagine that she is the only one like that.

My mother is also in the media industry (she is an executive producer with a major television network) and one thing that I have learned from her is that what is put out on t.v. is geared a lot by what the majority of viewers want to see. If this is the case, then the one's directing what is seen on t.v., magazines, etc. is more the public. I think in general society has been really messed up in what has become appropriate for young girls and boys, and what is not appropriate.

Unfortunately for Miley, as it is with many other young stars, they simply can not get away with what the majority of teenagers are doing today. Why? Because there is always someone with a camera ready to expose them. She is a 15 year old moving in a very provacative world. It does take a strong parental watchdog to make sure that she does not get lost in that world (which is all too common for teen stars).

My daughter used to model from the time she was 2 years old until she was about 7. I remember being very very strict about her modeling. I decided what she wore and what she did not wear. No one did her makeup but myself. She was offered exclusive contracts which promised continual work and money and I turned it down stating "she is exclusive with me only". Why? Because many of these contracts gave them the authority to have final say so on what my daughter did or did not do. I was not about to give up that authority to an outside party. I had final say so and was not willing to compromise on that. My daughter enjoyed modeling and so she did it. But I was not about to let it get out of hand.

I remember one time, she was about 4 years old and the photographer preparing a composite for her wanted to take a picture of her sitting on a motorcycle with a small leather jacket, half off one shoulder. Mind you she was 4. I said no way, no how, thats not happening. I felt the image was too provocative and way too grown up for her and had no qualms about vocalizing that to the photographer. I told him in no uncertain terms that when I sent the pictures of my 4 year old daughter out that is what I wanted them to see, a 4 year old, not some 4 year old trying to look like she was 21.

Once school really picked up for my daughter, modeling took a very far 2nd seat, but I did learn a lot from the experience. I think what helped me is that I was being a mother first. While I realized that my daughter had a talent and that she enjoyed modeling, therefore allowing her to do it, I also was not in it for the money, so never allowed myself to get blinded by the money. On the flip side of that, I saw many parents totally blinded by the money and yes, exploiting their children. Which is extremely sad.

I saw mothers pulling on a 3 year old's ear because the kid was cranky that day and therefore was sent home losing their shot at the job. At the hair salon that I worked at as a asst. mgr., I saw a mother bleaching her 3 year olds hair because the disney job she was going for called for a blonde hair/blue eyed character. Mind you this little 3 year old had brown hair/brown eyes. So this meant the little girl got bleached hair and contacts. In conversation with this mother I did tell her I could never do what she was doing, if they wanted a blonde hair/blue eye girl then that was not a casting call my daughter would be going to. I felt for that little girl as she sat there with a pencil scratching her scalp because it burned and itched. She was 3 years old. I remember thinking to myself what are you speaking to your child by doing this, that she is not good enough the way she is and has to change her appearance. Crazy.

In my opinion, our children do not have to grow up idolizing anyone they see on t.v. I don't know if this concept came easy to me growing up with my mom in the industry and truly understanding that these people were no different than you and me, just they were on t.v. or what, but I have tried to pass that down to my children. Idolize no one, and your role models, look around you, find those in your family, your church, your environment, people who are living right, pressing forward, and accomplishing things. Those are the ones to have as role models, not the people you see on t.v., music video's or magazine covers.

This is such a great post - I have to quote the entire thing!

It's sad what's shown on T.V for kids and teens these days. Although many will argue, kids/teens shouldn't be following them anyhow - the fact is, at a young age, teens will want to mimic the lifestyle of others to feel a sense of belonging. Even if it's posing your bra to feel "cool" in a naughty way or shake your ass on youtube, they'll do it anyhow. Whatever happen to positive teen role models? They exist, but why doesn't the media focus on them a lot? Yet, there's always time for skanks like Britney/Lindsey/Hilton on the media.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
I thought the photo in question was stunning and not racey at all. I am a big Annie Leibovitz fan though...I hope I spelled that right... Personally I have seen more skin of a 15 year old in a strapless dress...and If I don't want my child to see a racey photo of anyone, they won't. I just don't see many 8 year old's buying or subscribing to Vanity Fair. So they would not see the photo. Ah, parenting at it's best.. I find it sad that she now regrets the photo...

I really don't see what the big deal is...It is not like it is a nude photo. What you see her back? That you would see if she was in a swim suit? So what...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 AM

53 posts, read 382,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I thought the photo in question was stunning and not racey at all. I am a big Annie Leibovitz fan though...I hope I spelled that right... Personally I have seen more skin of a 15 year old in a strapless dress...and If I don't want my child to see a racey photo of anyone, they won't. I just don't see many 8 year old's buying or subscribing to Vanity Fair. So they would not see the photo. Ah, parenting at it's best.. I find it sad that she now regrets the photo...

I really don't see what the big deal is...It is not like it is a nude photo. What you see her back? That you would see if she was in a swim suit? So what...
I don't think the issue is about her posing her back. If she was just a no-name girl, no one would care. Plus, there are much worse photos of girls on myspace - but who cares - since they're not a celeb lookup by little girls. I believe the issue here is many parents watch Hannah Montana with their kids and expect her to be nice and innocent unlike other female celebs. For her to posed the way she did, many are upset it's not appropriate for a 15-year old to do especially for a popular Disney celeb whose show is watched by 3-10 years old. And many young kids may not subscribe to VF, but they'll pick up anything with Miley in it.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times
My daughter LOVES Miley Cyrus.. I really didn't see anything bad about her posing, it wasn't like she was in the nude! Even if she was in the nude whats the big deal..being nude is NATURAL.. or what you don't get naked. Really is it.. your not born with clothes on. There tons of Celebs and Celeb Models that posed in the nude at one time in their lives and no one says anything.. So why worry about Miley. So what if she posed they probably paid her tons of money for that one photo.. What you never done anything wrong in your entire life.. please... Shoot VF shows thier women on TV in bras and panties and no one complains.. and oh my the children watching tv sees that... They are doing to her what they have to so many before her....condemning her for growing up. They expect her to act like she is 10 forever, not realizing that she is growing into a beautiful woman and accepting that fact. Or that kissing your boyfriend is a natural teenage act. Her and her sexual life if it exist shouldn't be media's main priority yet they feel free to make it so. This is how they have ruined so many starts before her and even driven a few of them to become reclusive or in a crazy paranoid state. I figure if we dont give in to the hype, then the paparazzi will have no choice but to find real jobs, after all if no one listens or pays for their pictures then no matter how much they snoop they will make no money and have to move on to real jobs.
I agree with homie01, they make a very good point. I have seen alot of girls posing on their myspace pages with less clothing on than Miley had in that one photo and seems to me that the parents of these girls don't care about how they are posing on there.. because it's the teens computer and they don't want to but into thier privacy.. blah blah blah.. And then when something like what Miley or Brittney Spears has done..Oh My its these wonderful so called Mom's that lash out at the celeb like they did something bad... Blah! The photos are no different than posing for Glamor Shots.. you do know that when posing for glamor shots your posing without clothing Oh no and usually only have a sheet draped over you.. What about all those baby pictures you take of your naked babies in the tub or running around the house/yard naked, should we say your a bad person because you did that.. I think not. What about these little girls in these Beauty Pageants, they wear less clothing than what Miley had on and makeup..lordy it is their own mom that expoilts them. Blah Blah Blah.. and then that same Mom complains because something Miley done.. Good Grief People really need to get a grip!!

Why are the American people so worried about what other people do when they need to start worrying about what their own families doing first and stop crying that it is someone elses fault thier child acts that way because of what some young celeb does. Because it IS THE PARENTS FAULT.. it has nothing to do with what some teen pop star done. Get over it people!!!! We Americans have far more problems in this Country to worry about, and instead people in this country are worried about what some teen pop star has done or what some other celeb has done.. Really Who cares!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I'm a long time Vanity Fair subscriber and Annie Leibowitz fan (although I doubt I spelled her name right) but I have to place the blame on Annie. She should not have styled those types of photos with an underage girl in the name of art. Sure Miley's parents should have said No Way, but I'm guessing photography subjects trust Annie a lot due to her talent and reputation and they just do whatever she says, trusting her to be tasteful.
I agree. I geneally think Leibovitz's shots are artful, provocative perhaps.
But these photos don't say any of that to me.
Its like everyone sold out to Vanity Fair and the whole deal is a manufactured controversy to sell mags. I would think Miley's family and the photographer would know better than to trade their reps on that.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
My daughter LOVES Miley Cyrus.. I really didn't see anything bad about her posing, it wasn't like she was in the nude! Even if she was in the nude whats the big deal..being nude is NATURAL.. or what you don't get naked. Really is it.. your not born with clothes on.
Everyone gets naked, difference is not everyone does it in front of a camera for the whole world to see. And the big deal is this girl is just that, a young girl. She is 15 years old and I'm sorry but celebrity or not, it is inappropriate for a young girl to be photographed in the nude. The image is very provocative and it is not something that I would have my daughter do, regardless of how natural being nude may or may not be.

Quote:
There tons of Celebs and Celeb Models that posed in the nude at one time in their lives and no one says anything.. So why worry about Miley. So what if she posed they probably paid her tons of money for that one photo.. What you never done anything wrong in your entire life.. please...
I wouldn't say that no one has said anything. There have been many other scandals revolving around many other celebs or even breaking into the business celebs. So I don't think that is completely accurate. And it really doesn't matter how much they paid for that photo, it does not make it any more appropriate because a large sum of money was acquired for it. She is 15 whether they paid $10 for the shot or $10,000, doesn't change the fact.

Quote:
Shoot VF shows thier women on TV in bras and panties and no one complains.. and oh my the children watching tv sees that...
Again, I don't think no one complains, there are many that do complain about such images being shown on T.V. during family viewing hours. But regardless, again we are talking about women in that case, not young 15 year old girls.

Quote:
They are doing to her what they have to so many before her....condemning her for growing up. They expect her to act like she is 10 forever, not realizing that she is growing into a beautiful woman and accepting that fact. Or that kissing your boyfriend is a natural teenage act. Her and her sexual life if it exist shouldn't be media's main priority yet they feel free to make it so. This is how they have ruined so many starts before her and even driven a few of them to become reclusive or in a crazy paranoid state.
I disagree that they are expecting her to act like she is 10 forever, I think the problem is that they push these young stars into growing up too quickly and this is what causes the problem. Yes, this is not solely a Miley issue, it has been done to many stars before them and many of them have lost their way because they were tossed into being adult like way too soon. Britney Spears started out really cute, look where that got her. Drew Barrymore was another child star that started out really cute and went through a lot of turmoil. The industry these young stars move in is difficult enough, being a young pre-teen/teenager is difficult enough, toss the two together along with pushing these young teens into portraying themselves and carrying themselves as 20 something year olds is only a recipe for disaster for a lot of them. Again, I think it takes a very strong parental watchdog to monitor these things and preserve some of the child's childlikeness and not let them get exploited by the media buying into all its provocative nature that sells sex more than it sells talent at times.

Quote:
I figure if we dont give in to the hype, then the paparazzi will have no choice but to find real jobs, after all if no one listens or pays for their pictures then no matter how much they snoop they will make no money and have to move on to real jobs.
On this I would have to totally agree with you. If there is no demand for the material, they will stop supplying it. It is a basic principle of economics. They need to make money. Taking these pictures cost them money in equiptment, film, developing, etc. If they are not making that money back, they will find something else to do. The magazines, tabloids, etc all need to stop buying into the paparazzi's and so does the public need to stop buying into those gossip magazines/tabloids and eventually they will fade away. Goes with what I said in my first post about how the media tends to put out there what the majority of the viewing public wants to see.

Quote:
I agree with homie01, they make a very good point. I have seen alot of girls posing on their myspace pages with less clothing on than Miley had in that one photo and seems to me that the parents of these girls don't care about how they are posing on there.. because it's the teens computer and they don't want to but into thier privacy.. blah blah blah.. And then when something like what Miley or Brittney Spears has done..Oh My its these wonderful so called Mom's that lash out at the celeb like they did something bad... Blah!
Too many parents are not on top of what their kids have on their myspace, that is the sad truth. Many parents are not even aware that their child has a myspace and perhaps have even prohibited it, but the child finds a way of having it anyway (their friends have computers). I don't think that it's all these "wonderful so called mom's" that are the one's that speak out when something like this occurs. I think there are some very good parents, mom's and dad's that feel a concern and dislike for things like this when they occur and vocalize that. Though I do agree with looking into your own home before tossing stones at someone elses, opinions are opinions, and a parent may or may not be struggling with an issue in their home and still is allowed to have an opinion about what they see going on in the world around them as a whole.

Quote:
The photos are no different than posing for Glamor Shots.. you do know that when posing for glamor shots your posing without clothing Oh no and usually only have a sheet draped over you.. What about all those baby pictures you take of your naked babies in the tub or running around the house/yard naked, should we say your a bad person because you did that.. I think not. What about these little girls in these Beauty Pageants, they wear less clothing than what Miley had on and makeup..lordy it is their own mom that expoilts them. Blah Blah Blah.. and then that same Mom complains because something Miley done.. Good Grief People really need to get a grip!!
I've never looked into the Glamour Shot photos so won't comment on that but as for the baby pictures in the tub, yes many parents do that but they don't go selling those pictures now do they. They don't take those pictures with the intent of having them distributed all over the country in an exploiting of their children for money. Think it's a far fetched comparison there, IMO. As for the beauty pageants, well I don't agree with how many parents grow up their little girls looks in these either. My daughter participated in 1 beauty pageant and I saw enough in that one to know she would not participate in another one like that again. She was the only one that looked her age and of course did not win because of that. Also the amount of money that some of thee pageants require to just get into the pageant, it's more like buying the crown than winning it based on talent. No one is saying that what Miley did is not what others before have not done, however, just because other's have done it, does not make it right. And the one's that need to get a grip on reality are the one's that are exploiting these young children. Photographers need to set a standard that allows young children and teens to be just that, children and teens, not acting like grown adults.

Quote:
Why are the American people so worried about what other people do when they need to start worrying about what their own families doing first and stop crying that it is someone elses fault thier child acts that way because of what some young celeb does. Because it IS THE PARENTS FAULT.. it has nothing to do with what some teen pop star done. Get over it people!!!! We Americans have far more problems in this Country to worry about, and instead people in this country are worried about what some teen pop star has done or what some other celeb has done.. Really Who cares!!
While I agree that it most definately is a parent's responsibility to worry about what is going on in their own home and act on it, not blaming outside forces or influences for it, it does not erase that these influences do exist. They do in fact serve to make a parent's job harder when you are trying to promote modesty and proper behavior for your child's age and society seems so accepting of everything the opposite. Why concern yourself with what these pop stars or child stars on t.v. or movies are doing, because children are impressionable, like it or not, and unless you are going to keep your child in a bubble they are going to be exposed to such things. I have a 3 & 4 year old step-daughters who absolutely adore Hannah Montana. I'm sorry but that image of her in provactive poses is not what I want them seeing or looking up to. Again, as I said in my first post, I don't believe in idolizing anyone on TV and strive to instill that role models are to be found right in your own environment, among family, church, etc. However, little kids do tend to idolize and try to imitate what they see on TV.... even mickey mouse and minnie mouse receive such from young viewers. In this case, Miley's fans are mostly in the age range of 3-10, it's a responsibility she has to present a proper image. Tough job, yes it is for a teenager, but such is the nature of the business.

Perhaps this is why disney tends to drop young stars when they hit the age of 16, because they understand that concept and their viewing audience a bit more. Perhaps they figure that at 16, these young stars are going to start doing things that are going to make them more known for a more grown up appearance that is not appropriate for the young viewers, therefore distract the young viewers by giving them some new talent to enjoy. Unfortunately kids are growing up faster and faster and soon disney may need to review that cut off age to avoid the drama.

That's what it boils down to, Miley is a disney representative. Disney is known for being family friendly and child oriented. The images of Miley in provocative poses and half nude, are not what parents expect from disney. I think also it's like someone else said, parents expect a sweet innocent fun loving young girl when they think of Hannah Montana. Seeing those pictures presented a whole totally different image however.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Everyone gets naked, difference is not everyone does it in front of a camera for the whole world to see. And the big deal is this girl is just that, a young girl. She is 15 years old and I'm sorry but celebrity or not, it is inappropriate for a young girl to be photographed in the nude. The image is very provocative and it is not something that I would have my daughter do, regardless of how natural being nude may or may not be.

I wouldn't say that no one has said anything. There have been many other scandals revolving around many other celebs or even breaking into the business celebs. So I don't think that is completely accurate. And it really doesn't matter how much they paid for that photo, it does not make it any more appropriate because a large sum of money was acquired for it. She is 15 whether they paid $10 for the shot or $10,000, doesn't change the fact.

Again, I don't think no one complains, there are many that do complain about such images being shown on T.V. during family viewing hours. But regardless, again we are talking about women in that case, not young 15 year old girls.

I disagree that they are expecting her to act like she is 10 forever, I think the problem is that they push these young stars into growing up too quickly and this is what causes the problem. Yes, this is not solely a Miley issue, it has been done to many stars before them and many of them have lost their way because they were tossed into being adult like way too soon. Britney Spears started out really cute, look where that got her. Drew Barrymore was another child star that started out really cute and went through a lot of turmoil. The industry these young stars move in is difficult enough, being a young pre-teen/teenager is difficult enough, toss the two together along with pushing these young teens into portraying themselves and carrying themselves as 20 something year olds is only a recipe for disaster for a lot of them. Again, I think it takes a very strong parental watchdog to monitor these things and preserve some of the child's childlikeness and not let them get exploited by the media buying into all its provocative nature that sells sex more than it sells talent at times.

On this I would have to totally agree with you. If there is no demand for the material, they will stop supplying it. It is a basic principle of economics. They need to make money. Taking these pictures cost them money in equiptment, film, developing, etc. If they are not making that money back, they will find something else to do. The magazines, tabloids, etc all need to stop buying into the paparazzi's and so does the public need to stop buying into those gossip magazines/tabloids and eventually they will fade away. Goes with what I said in my first post about how the media tends to put out there what the majority of the viewing public wants to see.

Too many parents are not on top of what their kids have on their myspace, that is the sad truth. Many parents are not even aware that their child has a myspace and perhaps have even prohibited it, but the child finds a way of having it anyway (their friends have computers). I don't think that it's all these "wonderful so called mom's" that are the one's that speak out when something like this occurs. I think there are some very good parents, mom's and dad's that feel a concern and dislike for things like this when they occur and vocalize that. Though I do agree with looking into your own home before tossing stones at someone elses, opinions are opinions, and a parent may or may not be struggling with an issue in their home and still is allowed to have an opinion about what they see going on in the world around them as a whole.

I've never looked into the Glamour Shot photos so won't comment on that but as for the baby pictures in the tub, yes many parents do that but they don't go selling those pictures now do they. They don't take those pictures with the intent of having them distributed all over the country in an exploiting of their children for money. Think it's a far fetched comparison there, IMO. As for the beauty pageants, well I don't agree with how many parents grow up their little girls looks in these either. My daughter participated in 1 beauty pageant and I saw enough in that one to know she would not participate in another one like that again. She was the only one that looked her age and of course did not win because of that. Also the amount of money that some of thee pageants require to just get into the pageant, it's more like buying the crown than winning it based on talent. No one is saying that what Miley did is not what others before have not done, however, just because other's have done it, does not make it right. And the one's that need to get a grip on reality are the one's that are exploiting these young children. Photographers need to set a standard that allows young children and teens to be just that, children and teens, not acting like grown adults.

While I agree that it most definately is a parent's responsibility to worry about what is going on in their own home and act on it, not blaming outside forces or influences for it, it does not erase that these influences do exist. They do in fact serve to make a parent's job harder when you are trying to promote modesty and proper behavior for your child's age and society seems so accepting of everything the opposite. Why concern yourself with what these pop stars or child stars on t.v. or movies are doing, because children are impressionable, like it or not, and unless you are going to keep your child in a bubble they are going to be exposed to such things. I have a 3 & 4 year old step-daughters who absolutely adore Hannah Montana. I'm sorry but that image of her in provactive poses is not what I want them seeing or looking up to. Again, as I said in my first post, I don't believe in idolizing anyone on TV and strive to instill that role models are to be found right in your own environment, among family, church, etc. However, little kids do tend to idolize and try to imitate what they see on TV.... even mickey mouse and minnie mouse receive such from young viewers. In this case, Miley's fans are mostly in the age range of 3-10, it's a responsibility she has to present a proper image. Tough job, yes it is for a teenager, but such is the nature of the business.

Perhaps this is why disney tends to drop young stars when they hit the age of 16, because they understand that concept and their viewing audience a bit more. Perhaps they figure that at 16, these young stars are going to start doing things that are going to make them more known for a more grown up appearance that is not appropriate for the young viewers, therefore distract the young viewers by giving them some new talent to enjoy. Unfortunately kids are growing up faster and faster and soon disney may need to review that cut off age to avoid the drama.

That's what it boils down to, Miley is a disney representative. Disney is known for being family friendly and child oriented. The images of Miley in provocative poses and half nude, are not what parents expect from disney. I think also it's like someone else said, parents expect a sweet innocent fun loving young girl when they think of Hannah Montana. Seeing those pictures presented a whole totally different image however.
hmmmm Im going to agree and disagree with you.. somethings I agree on and some I don't but hey It's my choice just like it is yours.

First of all You keep saying Disney this and Disney that.. It wasn't Disney that took these photos. It was Vanity Fair. I don't think putting the blame on Disney is the right thing to do. Disney was upset about it but they are not going drop her because of this (not even at 16), why would they it brings them more money when these disney kids get expoilted. And they get expoilted all the time.. It is the News Media to put the blame on for expoilting her. But hey they aren't going to admit that. Look at the other shows out there like HighSchoolMusical, Cheetah Girls and Thats so Raven.. some of them are over 16 and still on the show.. what makes you think they drop them at the age of 16? Disney just isn't for Young People.
Second- this was her (Miley's) choice to have her photo taken like that, not Disney's. So why keep blaming Disney for this? And the age range for kids liking Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is not 3-10.. kids of all ages like her!! From 6-18. Just because Miss Miley went and posed for VF doesn't mean every young girl is going to run and and do the same thing!!
Third- Look at the girl from Zoey101 show, Brittney Spears younger sister (she is also 15) got pregnant they made a big deal of her for what 2weeks and has said no more..Now to me that's a bad influence on younger teens.. Not some provocative photo a young pop star had taken.

Truthfully I don't care about her photo or photos.. I love the way the Media eats that photo up like it was chocolate candy.. Really People.. Miley is who she is and I doubt this is going to hurt her reputation.

Now look below at what the News Media can do with photos..This is the actual photo everyone is going stupid over!! People really need to get the facts straight specially when dealing with the media before they jump to conclusions!!!! Video: The Miley Cyrus Photo Shoot: Entertainment & Culture: vanityfair.com
As I said before PEOPLE GET A GRIP!!!
http://www.vanityfair.com/images/culture/2008/06/cusl01_miley0806.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by wolfeyes; 04-30-2008 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,814 times
It's okay to agree to disagree and you're right, you are entitled to your opinion just as much as the rest of the world is entitled to theirs, however, you seem to be giving off the impression that those who do see a problem with these images need to "get over it" and are "stupid". That is not necessarily respecting other people's opinions.

I never said I blamed disney. I said that she is a representative of disney by being one of their top stars right now. As such, some people (i.e. parents) do expect more and the fact that disney got upset about it is proof that they do not condone this nor wish this image to be the one for one of their young stars to have.

I also didn't say that just because Miley posed like this a whole bunch of teenagers are now going to go out and do it. In fact if you read my first post, I clearly stated that I feel teenagers are more preoccupied with what their immediate peers are doing and wearing than with what a pop star on t.v. is doing or wearing. However, this still does not make it any less inappropriate for me.

I know there are lots of other teen stars that are doing stuff, I don't condone that either. However, we were not talking about them here in this thread but about Miley and that is why I personally focused on her. I don't blame her entirely, while yes it was her choice to go through with these shots, she does have people that are guiding her and make suggestions. I place responsibility on them. They are the adults that should be looking out for her and not trying to exploit her.

While I can respect the opinion of anyone who feels that these images are not inappropriate, I stick by my opinion that they are. To me, IMO, she is 15 years old and being so, actress, singer, whatever, she is still 15 and does not need to be posing in such a provactive manner where the intention is to sexualize this young girl. To me, it is wrong and I don't believe it should have been allowed. Not for her, not for any 15 year old.

I also believe that it is not only these pictures that people are talking about, while yes these are main ones, but it is also the one's she took with her father, in which they (while very nice shots) have a sense of provocativeness to them as well. Not your typical father/daughter shots.

I guess what people are upset about and talking about here is that there have been enough young stars get lost in the world of hollywood, here is a beautiful young lady with a lot of talent, maybe the public just doesn't want to see her lost much like other's before her have gotten lost... i.e. Britney Spears.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM

You Wrote:..It's okay to agree to disagree and you're right, you are entitled to your opinion just as much as the rest of the world is entitled to theirs, however, you seem to be giving off the impression that those who do see a problem with these images need to "get over it" and are "stupid". That is not necessarily respecting other people's opinions.
Referring to the Bold part...
I never said people was stupid,... I said this is the photo everyone is being stupid over!!!!
Yes she is 15, but like I said before these shots are just like Glamour Shots.. which is taken by a Professional Photographer..
These photos below are no different than Miley's..accept these girls are much younger..
http://images.partypics.com/Events/4610435/Contest/00001/orig_4878_021t.jpg (broken link)http://images.partypics.com/Events/4646462/Contest/00001/orig_13449_005t.jpg (broken link)http://images.partypics.com/Events/4643091/Contest/00001/orig_18014_029t.jpg (broken link)http://images.partypics.com/Events/4647974/Contest/00001/orig_18598_007R2t.jpg (broken link)http://images.partypics.com/Events/4646289/Contest/00001/orig_8027_004R1t.jpg (broken link)

I also don't think any photos she took with her father was provocative.. I do believe you and others are reading to much into the photos. But hey that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting