U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: USA
1,244 posts, read 2,797,115 times
Reputation: 765

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
no its not the point, but there is no need to run it into the ground saying she is 15 years old over and over because we all know how old she is and what she done. And if you choose not to like her because of this then that is your purgative. There are lots of girls out there that does things they shouldn't but they do it anyways. it is only a big deal because it is Miley.. and she is a pop star. Maybe she shouldn't have done it and then people wouldn't have anything to gossip about since thats all this country knows how to do it talk talk about people. And no I'm not disrespecting you or your comments. I am only saying the media gets all up in ppls business and then it becomes a mess of ppls lives and it shouldn't be this way. And the media gets worse and worse every day. But thats what you get for being in the publics eye. Is exploited! You do something whether or not it is wrong the news media will take it and twist it into millions of pieces and make you look bad regardless of your age. She chooses to do what she does we choose to do what we do.. its part of life.. some are wrong decisions so are good. Were only Human.
It's not about running the fact that she is 15 into the ground. It's just that is the point. I don't think it would be that big a deal to parents (though still not liked) if she were 20 something or 30 something. People are not all that concerned with what Demi Moore does for example. Parents however do tend to look at the exploitation of children differently though. So that is a point.

And as to the bolded part... If you read my 1st post you would see that I agree that it's because it's Miley, that it gets all the attention. Unfortunately, teen stars are always under the microscope, kinda goes with the territory. As a result, they tend to not always be able to get away with the same things that a lot of other teens are doing. When they do these things, regardless of how common it is, it does tend to make the news, make the tabloids and tends to be more scrutinized and discussed among the public.

Like I said, goes with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
 
52 posts, read 214,571 times
Reputation: 27
I think it would be very hard to be an idol to the age group that Miley is an idol too. Because you are going to out grow them. It's only ever just a matter of time. As far as the photos go, I feel that were a little too provocative for a 15 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
2,868 posts, read 8,377,139 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
You're right 3-4 year olds don't judge, but that's not the point.

So what is your point? YOU don't think the photos are appropriate? Well I don't care what YOU think. That is your opinion and maybe we have different taste..I thought the photos were stunning. I have seen more skin on 15 year olds in their prom dresses.... I personally think the parents are setting the 'tone' for this picture. Miley took a stunning photo and had it published in a magazine aimed for adults. I really don't see what the big deal is... Like I said, if you think it is inappropriate, this is where we all use our parenting skills. You can either shun them from the photo or look at in a different light...Maybe like art? You know photography is art...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
 
2,775 posts, read 2,491,098 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie01 View Post
I mean, she didn't posed nude. I don't how it can harm kids/teens 5 to 17 years old. Not every kids gonna copy everything they see on T.V.
The truth is that this is not newsworthy, and indeed most everyone doesn't care about what Miley did or does.

The Media has highlighted this story and others which have absolutely no real value, for one purpose - to distract the masses from the reality around them.

The reality is that no one can live up to to the unreasonable expectations that some people place upon role models. Every role model upon scrutinization has a flaw of some kind not to be emulated... we're all flawed, no one is perfect. Posing for those pictures isn't a bad thing - when she's 50 years old (or older) she'll have those to show her grand and great grandchildren... I think that's cool. She'll be able to say "Here I am when I was young and hot and was first becoming famous... pretty neat eh?"

For thousands (not just hundreds) of years 15 year old girls were considered adults, world-wide and cross-culturally. Let's not get all up in arms about this type of thing. So we have different standards today, so you may have different standards for your own little girl. Don't make excuses for what Miley did or ask her to... instead explain to your children your standards and expectations, and why you have them. That's all you need to do... it isn't like explaining rocket science and doing that is called parenting. More people should do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
2,868 posts, read 8,377,139 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
It's not about running the fact that she is 15 into the ground. It's just that is the point. I don't think it would be that big a deal to parents (though still not liked) if she were 20 something or 30 something. People are not all that concerned with what Demi Moore does for example. Parents however do tend to look at the exploitation of children differently though. So that is a point.

And as to the bolded part... If you read my 1st post you would see that I agree that it's because it's Miley, that it gets all the attention. Unfortunately, teen stars are always under the microscope, kinda goes with the territory. As a result, they tend to not always be able to get away with the same things that a lot of other teens are doing. When they do these things, regardless of how common it is, it does tend to make the news, make the tabloids and tends to be more scrutinized and discussed among the public.

Like I said, goes with the territory.
It's the parents giving the attention! Like I said, a normal 7,8,9 year old is not going to go out and buy a VF magazine with out mom...so...don't buy it for her...stop griping about how *you* think the photo is provocative...thats your opinion and YOU are reflecting your opinion on your kids. If you did not make such a big deal about it, I bet your kids would not think anything 'sexual' about the photo either. The photo is really not *that* bad to make kids think "oh, she is a little provocative in that picture."

If I sat here in front of my 8 year old and went on and on about the photo...How awful it was...Then that sets the platform for the photo in my kids eyes...They 'expect' a sexual photo...If you don't say anything and keep the photo away...well...then nothing. And if they do see it with an unbias eye or a tainted opinion from parents, it is simply a gorgeous picture with a little back showing. Not that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,170,828 times
Reputation: 3177
If VF isn't intended for preteens, teens, etc (which it isn't), what the heck is a 15yr old doing posing for it??? She's not 18. She's not 30. She's 15.

Her parents shouldn't have even allowed this to happen in the first place. THEY are suppose to be role models, not her.

Sometimes the line has to be drawn & putting your underage daughter in a grownups magazine is just not appropriate. And not knowing certain pics would look the way they do? That's such b.s.

It was done for money & fame. Shame on her parents. And those who believe the pictures were taken for "artistic reasons", I got some swamp land in FL I can sell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
2,868 posts, read 8,377,139 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If VF isn't intended for preteens, teens, etc (which it isn't), what the heck is a 15yr old doing posing for it??? She's not 18. She's not 30. She's 15.

Her parents shouldn't have even allowed this to happen in the first place. THEY are suppose to be role models, not her.

Sometimes the line has to be drawn & putting your underage daughter in a grownups magazine is just not appropriate. And not knowing certain pics would look the way they do? That's such b.s.

It was done for money & fame. Shame on her parents. And those who believe the pictures were taken for "artistic reasons", I got some swamp land in FL I can sell you.

Well, your not Miley's parents and you should not judge. Maybe they parent differently and have different morals then you...What you see wrong for your daughter should not be blanketed onto other parents. They obviously did not see the picture as what you do. You act like it was a nude photo.

Not a fan of swamp land...you can keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Denver
2,970 posts, read 6,107,225 times
Reputation: 4825
Oh my gosh.....get over it already! It is not your daughter, so who cares??

There are much more important things to get worked up over......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
 
Location: USA
1,244 posts, read 2,797,115 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
So what is your point? YOU don't think the photos are appropriate? Well I don't care what YOU think. That is your opinion and maybe we have different taste..I thought the photos were stunning. I have seen more skin on 15 year olds in their prom dresses.... I personally think the parents are setting the 'tone' for this picture. Miley took a stunning photo and had it published in a magazine aimed for adults. I really don't see what the big deal is... Like I said, if you think it is inappropriate, this is where we all use our parenting skills. You can either shun them from the photo or look at in a different light...Maybe like art? You know photography is art...
First, I was not attacking anyone on their view or opinion. Secondly, whether you care what I think or not is really irrelevent to me. We are all here sharing OUR opinions, just like you are. I respect other's opinion's even if they don't coincide with mine, but have just as much right to share my opinion as the next person does. You find the photo's stunning, that's fine, I find them distasteful and inappropriate and that is fine too. I stand by my opinion, while I am not judging anyone, nor intend to stop watching the show simply because of these photo's, I am a reasonable adult. People saying that the photo's were taken to be published in a magazine intended for adults is not going to change my mind, nor is it going to justify the photo's to me. In fact, it only makes it worse. Miley is 15 years old and there is absolutely no reason, excuse, etc., that can change my mind about these photo's being inappropriate for her age. Publishing them in a magazine where grown men are now going to view them and for all we know sexualize her further in their minds is not going to help justify these photo's either. She is 15 years old and in MY opinion, should not be posing that way for an adult magazine or any magazine for that matter. Just MY opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
It's the parents giving the attention! Like I said, a normal 7,8,9 year old is not going to go out and buy a VF magazine with out mom...so...don't buy it for her...stop griping about how *you* think the photo is provocative...thats your opinion and YOU are reflecting your opinion on your kids. If you did not make such a big deal about it, I bet your kids would not think anything 'sexual' about the photo either. The photo is really not *that* bad to make kids think "oh, she is a little provocative in that picture."

If I sat here in front of my 8 year old and went on and on about the photo...How awful it was...Then that sets the platform for the photo in my kids eyes...They 'expect' a sexual photo...If you don't say anything and keep the photo away...well...then nothing. And if they do see it with an unbias eye or a tainted opinion from parents, it is simply a gorgeous picture with a little back showing. Not that big of a deal.
Posting on this forum is a voluntary action to begin with so no need to be so agressive about what opinion's people share. If you don't agree with another person's opinion, you can state so but why do you think you have more right to post your opinion than someone else has to post their's by telling them to "stop griping" about it. Perhaps people just wanted to give their opinion and move on, but because of the backlash revisit it. Thus creating what in YOUR opinion is "griping" about something.

You're right, parents absolutely reflect their opinion upon their children. It's called parenting, and everyone does it. Children are often raised according to a set of values, beliefs and morals that the parent's hold and it is a parent's job to instill in their children what they feel is the concept of right and wrong, appropriate and inappropriate.

FYI, there is no intention of discussing these images with the children. Again, this is a forum, people come here by choice and voluntarily post to whatever they feel like posting to. If they have an opinion, suggestion, advice, or problem they post... if they don't care for the subject, they move on. You are assuming much in your post. Again, like I said, I am a reasonable adult who just so happens to have an opinion about this topic. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I am misreading your post then I apologize but it does seem to come across as rather agressive and defensive. Both of which there really is no need for as we are all here simply sharing opinions. Opinions that do vary from person to person. Some, like yourself find the photo's stunning, other's like myself, find them inappropriate. Neither of us has to be right or wrong, we just have differing opinions thats all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Location: USA
1,244 posts, read 2,797,115 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If VF isn't intended for preteens, teens, etc (which it isn't), what the heck is a 15yr old doing posing for it??? She's not 18. She's not 30. She's 15.

Her parents shouldn't have even allowed this to happen in the first place. THEY are suppose to be role models, not her.

Sometimes the line has to be drawn & putting your underage daughter in a grownups magazine is just not appropriate. And not knowing certain pics would look the way they do? That's such b.s.

It was done for money & fame. Shame on her parents. And those who believe the pictures were taken for "artistic reasons", I got some swamp land in FL I can sell you.
Exactly. And that is what I personally find wrong. It is a form of exploiting a minor IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top