Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaBaah View Post
I spoke to him and asked him why was hitting and he said because he didn't want to sit on his mat at nap time because he was afraid of the dark. And he is afraid of the dark. He is the only one In his room who does not sleep during nap time so they give him a yoga mat to relax and play on while all the lights are turned off in the room. When he first starting in the room they told me was doing great and all of a sudden he's being sent home for hitting. I just dont know. Due to covid, our doctor's is not taking patient only phone services.

I am told he laugh after hitting, he thinks it funny etc
Is there another room with children who are a bit older who don't nap? We used to send non-nappers to the kindergarten room during nap time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 06:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
We have a relative that owns a large kindergarten. When her grandson was there, he was a holy terror disrupting the other kids. Despite having a doctorate in Early Childhood Education, Oma had to expel her grandson from her kindergarten.

They got him to a child psychologist and he was diagnosed with a mild form of autism. He went on to regular school but had difficulties when he got of college age.

The parents had long ago been warned the boy was a follower--not a leader. And they warned him he might be one to get into drugs, etc. And he did.

Best suggestion would be to find the best mental health professionals and follow their recommendations on the young man.
I think the "follower/leader" narrative is hysterical. How many leaders can there possibly be? What does that look like?

Old 07-24-2020, 01:57 PM

236 posts, read 555,976 times
How is he being disciplined at home? Does he get spanked or hit by your or someone else? I'm wondering because kids mimic behaviors that are learned. I used to pop my son and he would try and do the same to me and he was hitting at school. As soon as we stopped, he stopped.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:24 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
How is he being disciplined at home? Does he get spanked or hit by your or someone else? I'm wondering because kids mimic behaviors that are learned. I used to pop my son and he would try and do the same to me and he was hitting at school. As soon as we stopped, he stopped.
I can assure you that my grandson, who bit and kicked people, was not mimicking any adult. He is now a Quality Control Engineer at US Steel. Do not make the mistake of thinking that childhood idiosyncrasies are a predictor of future success.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:36 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
The way you worded this leads me to believe that it happens at more than just daycare. There may be more triggers at daycare, but I don't think that's the cause.

When he acts out elsewhere, what are the consequences? There should be immediate, consistent consequences. I taught preschool for years and have a degree in Early Childhood Development. I will say that 9 times out of 10, when there was a child with behavior issues (who did not have other concerns), I completely understood why when I saw them with their parents.

I highly recommend the Parenting with Love and Logic program. They have lots of free videos on YouTube.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:14 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,354 times
You should look into ABA and OT for him. You do not want him going into kindergarden or first grade with behavior issues. By first grade it is to late. He is too old for early intervention. Have him evaluated ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting