Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
OMG! Why are kids this young havng sex in the first place???? Where are the freakin' parents? Why are they allowing kids this young to be alone to have sex???? What is wrong with parents of teenagers? Is it so important for your kids to like you that you don't parent? I just don't get it at all. The boy is only 6 years older than my son. I can assure you I don't want to be a grandmother in 6 years!
There is some research showing that a lot of teen pregnancies are conceived between 3 and 6 PM at the guy's house while the parents are at work. At 12, kids are just old enough to be left home alone after school. It's a good idea to keep your kids wondering just when you might show up, arrange to be home earlier, or have some after-school activity of a supervised nature, elg. sports practice, go to the library or YMCA, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I know this has nothing to do with anything, just random thoughts. I am thinking about how our society is structured. I am not at all saying that having a child before, say, 30, is a good idea in today's society, so don't get me wrong, please.
But when I think about human life out of sync with nature I think about the fact that girls start getting their periods in the 5th grade, more or less, and by nature's standard this would mean that it is time to begin procreation, right?; otherwise what would it mean. Years and years ago it was normal for women and men to marry at a very young age, and it worked in that society. Back then too, humans were more in sync with nature, the seasons, etc.
Now society has come sooo far away from its original connection with nature that it is now shocking to hear of kids who are fully homonally developed having children, as opposed to the time long ago when it was totally normal. I mean maybe there was a time that if a 30 year old had a child the whole town would be aflutter and she'd make the cover of the town paper because she was sooo old; or think about people being able to have children by artificial means, could you imagine the shock that would have created. But now, when 2 kids, whose bodies are ready to procreate, procreate, it makes the news and they are labeled stupid.
Again, I don't need to know the reasons why they are called stupid, but I just find it interesting how far we have come from the natural world that we have such command over when we procreate, how we procreate, with who, or not at all... it's just interesting to me.
I've thought the same thing before, and I think there's a lot of truth here. What we basically tell teenagers today is, you need to fight biology and not have sex for the 10 years your body was built to produce offspring. Never mind your raging hormones that tell you otherwise!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 AM

64 posts, read 189,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Whose bad idea was it for the child to keep the child? How is that healthy for the infant? How is that taking responsibility? It seems like adoption would be the best way for both the mother and child to lead a normal life.
Hey now, that's not entirely fair. My friend Krista was raped at 13 and gave birth at 14 to her little girl. She raised her and is an excellent mom to her daughter, and now a son by her husband. I know it's not quite the same thing as this case, but you can't automatically assume that giving the baby up is the best course of action.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkat View Post
Hey now, that's not entirely fair. My friend Krista was raped at 13 and gave birth at 14 to her little girl. She raised her and is an excellent mom to her daughter, and now a son by her husband. I know it's not quite the same thing as this case, but you can't automatically assume that giving the baby up is the best course of action.
In general, it IS best for a CHILD that young to give up the baby for adoption. Just because your friend was the exception doesn't make it the untrue. Your friend's experience doesn't mean anything.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
When I was teaching in a middle school (5 years ago) there were many sexual problems. I was witness to many horrible things...

1. A game with bracelets of many colors... they are the rubber ones... the kinds that they wore in the 80's (at least I did as a kid). Anyway- certain colors stood for certain acts the girl would perform. A boy would come by, take the bracelet and the girl would have to perform the act. Once this was discovered the bracelets were banned from school. Primarily 8th graders but some 7th graders followed suit.

2. A 14 yr old girl became pregnant with twins. The father was a family friend who was 23 yrs old. The parents of the girl were THRILLED and the student kept the babies, named them after Disney Princesses and the father of the twins is still involved... sick...

3. Three 8th graders were taken to a juvenile facility for prostitution. Acts were performed mid day in public restrooms...

Sad, but this is what was happening to children between the ages of 11 and 14... I am sure there are more stories that I did not know about... I no longer teach there but I have heard things are just as bad.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
When I was teaching in a middle school (5 years ago) there were many sexual problems. I was witness to many horrible things...

1. A game with bracelets of many colors... they are the rubber ones... the kinds that they wore in the 80's (at least I did as a kid). Anyway- certain colors stood for certain acts the girl would perform. A boy would come by, take the bracelet and the girl would have to perform the act. Once this was discovered the bracelets were banned from school. Primarily 8th graders but some 7th graders followed suit.

2. A 14 yr old girl became pregnant with twins. The father was a family friend who was 23 yrs old. The parents of the girl were THRILLED and the student kept the babies, named them after Disney Princesses and the father of the twins is still involved... sick...

3. Three 8th graders were taken to a juvenile facility for prostitution. Acts were performed mid day in public restrooms...

Sad, but this is what was happening to children between the ages of 11 and 14... I am sure there are more stories that I did not know about... I no longer teach there but I have heard things are just as bad.

All of those examples are thoroughly frightening! No wonder so many of my friends who have kids going to middle school next year are freaked out! Why can't they understand that they will wish they could be kids again someday and just enjoy being young???

Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've thought the same thing before, and I think there's a lot of truth here. What we basically tell teenagers today is, you need to fight biology and not have sex for the 10 years your body was built to produce offspring. Never mind your raging hormones that tell you otherwise!
Because that is what separates us from being basically just animals.

Humans can do many things that our culture forbids, things that are normal in the animal kingdom like murder, infanticide, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting