Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 08:20 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Because it gives the impression that their life is better or more important than someone who gets just a few likes.
Setting aside the SM aspect...

The fact is some people’s lives are better and more important than our own. The key is to be happy or at least content with our own lives. Are you unhappy or discontent with your life, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 08:40 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Setting aside the SM aspect...

The fact is some people’s lives are better and more important than our own. The key is to be happy or at least content with our own lives. Are you unhappy or discontent with your life, OP?
There might be some people who have better lives but it seems to say they have more important lives just because they have more friends on fb.

I do feel uncared about on social media which is why I don’t post. The times I did put things up I’d get like 50 to 80 likes if that. It would make me feel crappy to see other family members or old friends getting 400 likes. I do see other people in my situation getting few likes and maybe they don’t care. My post has diverted a bit to the popularity thing. I do see some people who post every day or a few times a week and they get very few likes. Makes me wonder why they keep doing it. I can see why the ones getting hundreds of likes keep doing it since they get attention

Old 12-29-2020, 09:10 AM

982 posts, read 608,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
I think the 'normal' people who post pics on social media are the ones who genuinely want to share pics of their kids/family enjoying a special occasion or developmental milestone and aren't concerned about how many likes they get. Being an older person, I guess I was just never very affected by this sort of popularity meter. I post pics of my grandkids because my friends like to see them and I could give a rat's patoot how many likes I get or don't get.

I think this issue would not concern you as much if you didn't worry about the popularity issue. The thing that I am concerned about when I see families who post dozens of pictures of everything they do, almost every day, is whether they are really enjoying these things and being present with their kids or are they just spending the time searching for cute poses and trying to get the kids to look at the camera and smile? It's disturbing in that way to me.
My thoughts as well. They seem to not really be “present” in the moments to truly enjoy them.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:10 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
There might be some people who have better lives but it seems to say they have more important lives just because they have more friends on fb.

I do feel uncared about on social media which is why I don’t post. The times I did put things up I’d get like 50 to 80 likes if that. It would make me feel crappy to see other family members or old friends getting 400 likes. I do see other people in my situation getting few likes and maybe they don’t care. My post has diverted a bit to the popularity thing. I do see some people who post every day or a few times a week and they get very few likes. Makes me wonder why they keep doing it. I can see why the ones getting hundreds of likes keep doing it since they get attention
It's all relative, I suppose. I don't think I've ever gotten more than maybe 40 or 50 likes for a particular photo. Usually it's far less. Some of my FB friends will get 30 or 40 likes just for posting a picture of what they had for dinner. Sure, it's a popularity contest. Sure, it's like high school. That's just the way it is. I've never been popular at any time in my life, but I'm not really "un" popular either. I'm just sort of there, in the background. It's just the way it is.

I might post something on Facebook 3 or 4 times a month, if that. I've noticed that pictures of my kids will always draw more likes than anything else I post. Sometimes my kids don't want me to post their picture, and I honor that. Other times they don't care (or even, every now and then, they actively want me to post it), and those shots I might post.

OP, the simple fact of the matter is, there will always be people who appear to have a better life than you do on social media. Notice that I said "appear." Maybe they really are happier or more successful or better parents or whatever, or maybe they've chosen to present a highly edited version of their life online. More than likely, it's the latter. But either way, this is a competition that you will never, ever be able to win; so you might as well not worry about even trying. Just accept yourself for who you are and be content with that.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
I can see where grandparents living far away might like to see the pics. However my DH's mom lives far away and we simply text her pics of the kids.

I had a friend who's husband didn't want her posting any pics of the kids on FB but he finally is ok with it and she is one of the people who is constantly posting. A few times a weeks feels the need to put whatever activities the kids did that week with pics.
IMO it is probably better to use instagram and set to private that only the grandparents and other family can see than facebook where even if you set to private all of your friends can see and then if any friend comment or like, their friends can see. Since you can't control who your friends friend on facebook it is probably better you keep it to somewhere you can control. People including family always comment that I don't post pictures of myself online. It is not something I am comfortable doing.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:21 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
(snip)

I do feel uncared about on social media which is why I don’t post.
The times I did put things up I’d get like 50 to 80 likes if that. It would make me feel crappy to see other family members or old friends getting 400 likes.
I do see other people in my situation getting few likes and maybe they don’t care.
I post one to four times a year I doubt if I have ever had more than five or six likes. And, I simply do not care.

The only person that I know who might get a couple hundred likes for a post is a beauty queen who owns a pageant business. She also has a large, extended family and is a sweet, kind, caring woman who probably has well over a thousand "friends" on FB. I enjoy reading her posts but I doubt if I ever "liked" or commented on any of them.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I never felt comfortable posting my children's photos online. I still don't, so I won't.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:42 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I don't post any pictures or information about my kids on social media without their permission. I wouldn't want them posting pictures or info about me without me knowing or agreeing, so why would I do it with them?

Same here. No photos of children or spouse on social media. Any reference I make on a non-anonymous online space is purposefully vague and I always weigh whether it is needed in the context of the post anyway. If someone on FB comments and shares specific information about them, I delete their comment (which is very, very rare).

It is their lives, their right to share.

But I also never post location photos/information (photo I took of Big Ben and the like) until after I am home. Why let anyone know the house is unattended?

People do share. your information, intentional or not.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:48 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
I guess a big part of it that bothers me is the ‘popular’ people on social media. It irritates me that they get all these likes simply because they were at one point popular or go out of their way to have followers. It makes me feel bad for the normal people when they post anything. It’s like oh ok so and so got 20 likes for her kids while this other chick got 400 simply because she’s more outgoing. Social media just isn’t fair.

Well, life isn't fair but more importantly, social media isn't life. Not by a long shot. Unless one limits oneself to social media for all of life's interactions.

But it can be an important part of a rich, full and happy life. It is a choice each person makes - whether to pursue happiness and if so, how.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:21 AM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
My brother just learned tonight that his sister-in-law posted photographs and videos of his children taking a bubble bath on social media, and kissing each other. She did not have his permission to post this, and posted the photos so they were invisible to him; but apparently his wife gave her "like" marks expressing approval of the photos.

He defended her though, saying that she probably thought it was innocent, because the kids are only 7 and 10. We said that no, you never post nude photos of children on social media (especially without the consent of both parents).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting