U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Congratulations!

Choosing names for online people is kind of difficult to do since we don't know your real last name and names should flow or be catchy.

Here's my suggestions anyway, since it's a girl Zoe or Piper.

Awesome choice!!!! I have a Zoe (love the name, everyone always compliments us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
I'm glad that you have joined this thread Gizmo, always looking for your advice. I love Zoe as I have stated before and my first born is named Nicholas. I was leaning towards Isabella for a girl or Christian for a boy. What do you think Gizmo. BTW name is Joshua and it is a Jewish name. I like Jewish or Christian names, not sure if there is a difference, since I'm not religious. I like traditional, I like that it will last a lifetime. Hate trendy!! Read all my posts, Gizmo, and tell me what you think!!
No problemo. I think Zoe is a gorgeous name, and while it was trendy for a while, I still think it's timeless - without being too common. Christian is a very nice & strong name, but obviously not one I'd personally choose. Only thing to consider is that he'll be called Chris, which is extremely popular b/c of Christopher. I love Isabella, though it's a bit over-used in recent years. Your name is really beautiful, and actually one I've considered for my future children. It's quite popular among Jewish families, so I knew a lot of Joshuas growing up. Another good Biblical name is Daniel, which is my brother's... he goes by Dan now, but was called Danny as a child.

Ummmm... what else?? How about Jason, William, Samuel, Benjamin or Jonah/Jonas? Those are all solid & traditional names, that should never go out of style. A few of them are a bit common, but they're still very nice! In Jewish tradition, we're encouraged to use the names of ancestors... never living relatives, though, as that's considered a bad omen (because Angel of death may get confused & take the child). But maybe you could consider a family name, whether living or dead? If my grandmother is no longer around when I have kids, I'll probably use Rose as my daughter's middle name. "Sabrina Rose" would be my first pick for a girl.

P.S. Here's a great name site, where you can narrow them down by a number of categories - http://tools.oxygen.com/babynamer/ (broken link) (hit "search" on the side menu, to get the advanced search options)

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-31-2006 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-01-2007, 08:47 PM

98 posts, read 394,704 times
My sister had a baby a year ago. She and her husband named her Emma Rose. Rose is my mom's middle name and was my grandmother's name. I like the name Tucker for boys. Congratulations!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,435,333 times
AWWWW! Congratulations!!!!
For girls: Kaylie, Ava, Leigha, Jayden
For boys: Jason, Bryce, Clayton, Ayden

Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 AM

613 posts, read 736,732 times
ok, i have a real knack for odd names....my daughter's name is Autumn Rayne

for boy's names, i like....

McCall
Cade (my nephew's name)
Cannon
Avery
Denver
Dillon
Chase
Alex
Tyler

Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM

122 posts, read 164,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTexas85 View Post
ok, i have a real knack for odd names....my daughter's name is Autumn Rayne

for boy's names, i like....

McCall
Cade (my nephew's name)
Cannon
Avery
Denver
Dillon
Chase
Alex
Tyler

I too have a knack for odd names, but after my 1st born I went with the traditional biblical names. Mine is Rebecca and hubby is David.

Lila Nadine (she is named for her great-great grandmother and my middle name)
Samuel Isaac (named for his great grandfather
Sarah Elaine (named after my grandfathers sister and my sister in law)

Some other names in my extended family:
Della Paralee
Meghan Janelle
Metra Diane
Candedia Dawn
Collin Malachai
Savannah Hope
Kaylee Miriah
Chance Michael
Deandra Fawn
Lila Malzenia
Ruby LaVon

Old 01-06-2007, 07:31 PM

229 posts, read 167,978 times
It depends on your last name. The two have to work together and also think of all nicknames that can be made from initials and or abbreviations of whatever you are considering. Whatever names you think of, remember they have to be appropriate when your child is an adult. Tabitha is cute as a child but sounds too ootsie cutsie as an adult ( sorry to any Tabithas out there). I chose my kids names on these things and also what the names mean. Congrats and best of luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:28 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,878,601 times
My daughters name is Tiffany, but I also like Emma, my great Grandmothers name, Tristen, Autumn, Summer, and Faith for girls.
Boys names would be Seth, Triston, Landon, Dale after my brother, or Justin, and last of all Joshua

Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo View Post
Whatever names you think of, remember they have to be appropriate when your child is an adult. Tabitha is cute as a child but sounds too ootsie cutsie as an adult ( sorry to any Tabithas out there).
That is so important to remember! Too many people these days choose "cutesy" names, which might not work as an adult... no offense to anyone, but I just think it would be weird to meet a CEO named McKayla. Maybe it will be considered an adult name for that generation, but I'd rather go with a more classic one. As for Tabitha, I actually had a cat with that name once, and we called her "Tabby"... I also associate it with Bewitched, lol. Of course, my favorite name is Sabrina, so you could say that has a witchy meaning too. (though I actually got it from the Audrey Hepburn movie)

Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 PM

FYI, here is the top list for 2006, according to Babynames.com (their personal data)... interesting list!! There are some nice ones on there, and I highlighted my personal favorites.

RANK MALE FEMALE
1 AIDAN/AIDEN/ADEN AVA
2 CADEN/KADEN ABIGAIL
3 BRADEN/BRAYDEN/BRAEDEN CAILYN/KAELYN
4 JADEN/JAYDEN MADISON
5 ETHAN EMMA
6 CONNOR/CONNER ISABELLA
7 ADDISON BAILEY
8 RILEY CHLOE
9 CALEB OLIVIA (Olivia will most likely be my future niece's name)
10 LOGAN HANNAH
11 HAYDEN ISABELLE/ISABEL
12 DYLAN GRACE
13 NOAH ELLA
14 AVERY ABBY/ABBIE
15 JACOB CADENCE
16 RYAN ALEXIS
17 CAMERON TAYLOR
18 ALEXANDER PAIGE
19 AARON HAILEY/HALEY/HAYLEY
20 TRISTAN EMILY

I can't believe Kaelyn is 3rd on the list... my friend has a daughter (7 years old) with that name, spelled exactly the same way!! And she thought it was so creative, lol. While I'm on that subject, her other daughters are named Karmen, Kiana & Kaiya - way too cute, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting