U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,013,815 times

Advertisements

Congratz PHM! I've always liked Nigel for a boy's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 8,061,155 times
oh ya domergrl, in the last year, ive hear of probably at least 5 Neveah, thank goodness, all little girls so far.
one name that is very unique, and stuck w/me always was Rilya. And why it stuck w/me, is for one, it stands for Remember I Love You Always..and for two, its for a little girl that went missing..very sad, and her name always seemed bittersweet. Pretty though...
on the lighter side, someone recently told me my sons name is a girls name, not a boy. His name is Ryan. - now, grant you, i acutaly know TWO girls name d Ryan, (well, one Rhian) but still, sheesh.
Tiffany

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,843,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
oh ya domergrl, in the last year, ive hear of probably at least 5 Neveah, thank goodness, all little girls so far.
one name that is very unique, and stuck w/me always was Rilya. And why it stuck w/me, is for one, it stands for Remember I Love You Always..and for two, its for a little girl that went missing..very sad, and her name always seemed bittersweet. Pretty though...
on the lighter side, someone recently told me my sons name is a girls name, not a boy. His name is Ryan. - now, grant you, i acutaly know TWO girls name d Ryan, (well, one Rhian) but still, sheesh.
Tiffany
Don't worry I still know more male Ryan's than female ones...it's still a boys name. I always liked the name Jordan, but was informed that it had become a girls name when I was pregant with my boys...I caved and went with ultra traditional boys names - Samuel and Matthew - not very creative but I am assuming people will be able to spell them, not think they may be girls, and hopefully will not make up silly nick names for them. Oh the joy and stress of naming a baby. Thank goodness I didn't have girls, my ten year old still wouldn't have a name...I love soooo many girls names...LOL

Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,930,678 times
My sons name is Rory. In ireland its always a boys name. But here it can be either.

My other sons name is Kirk.

Believe it or not, people still shorten rorys name to Roar!!
dorothy

Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,906 posts, read 6,126,861 times
I don't have any specific names to list -- many have put great names down. I'll merely tell you how I named my daughter: Celene Mirth

Her first name I found after many months of going through all kinds of literature books, and encyclopedias, and volumes of other materials. I wanted a name that was two syllables (yes, because it's easier to call them), and I wanted something with a good meaning and symbolism.

I came across the mythology of Selena, the Greek Goddess of the Moon. I loved the story of her faithfulness to her beautiful man who was taken from her and how she rode her chariot each night through the sky (she represented the moon). I chose the spelling Celene because I wanted a balance and I liked the difference with the C, but the balance of all e's.

Her middle name was the result of my ex-husband who is Jewish, and often a child is named after a relative who died. I did not like his deceased mother's first name of Madeline, so we compromised and found an "M" name: Mirth -- which means "happiness." (I actually went through the entire dictionary for "M" words!!)

Celene is a very happy and well-adjusted teen, and I call her my "Happy Queen Celene." She said she gets many compliments on her name, and she loves the fact that there is a story associated with it, and she loves her name, which makes me feel good, too.

And that is how I named my daughter!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,625,155 times
Congratulations PHM!

My daughter's name is Aria Diane and my son's name is Ethan Daniel.

My husband came up with Aria which means an opera solo. Her red hair and feisty personality and girlie girlieness go perfect with it. Diana was my husband's mother's name.
Ethan was pretty much one of the first boys names we both thought of and really liked and Daniel is his dad's name.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,057,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
My wife and I just found out that we are pregnant, and I would like suggestions for boy and girl names. Thanks!
girl blythe, boy michael cameron or cassidy either boy or girl

Old 04-25-2007, 03:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,057,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
My wife and I just found out that we are pregnant, and I would like suggestions for boy and girl names. Thanks!
girl blythe, boy michael cameron or cassidy either boy or girl girl shelley

Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM

469 posts, read 2,519,429 times
A suggestion for anyone considering names for their baby is Baby's Named a Bad Bad Thing: http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Awesomely hilarious website with examples of real-life names sure to induce embarassment or emotional scarring on the children unlucky enough to carry them. The forums are a fabulous resource for good, SANE baby names.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,942,735 times
boys

luka
brodie
thatcher
chip
walker
tucker
jackson

girls

meredith
savannah
phillipa
penelope
bitsey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting