Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 09:56 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,028,162 times

Advertisements

I have strict rules about food - all meals are to be eaten at the table, and snacks and drinks are the same, or taken outside.

Occaisionally we'll have popcorn or snacks at TV movie time, or even a 'carpet picnic' of pizza in the living room.

But I can't abide kids wandering around the house dropping crumbs and leaving bits of food everywhere, or even worse - chocolate on the sofa and carpet, soda spills on the stairs, leftovers under the bed .

My kids know and obey my rules (they are reasonable ones!) but what to do when visitors allow their kids to walk around my house with messy food and sticky fingers?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM

15,776 posts, read 21,285,292 times
For most of my childhood, we could only eat in the kitchen or in the TV room (which was separate from our formal living room). However, by the time we got to high school, we were allowed to eat in our rooms if we wanted- especially since we were often getting so bogged down with homework that it would take up too much time to make it to the kitchen.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,190,254 times
I tell my children's friends gently, while redirecting them back to the table that in our house all meals are eaten at the table. Haven't had a problem yet.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,224,553 times
We used to be somewhat lenient about where the kids could eat. But since they've proven that they cannot eat so much as a cracker without making a complete mess out of it we've confined all eating activity to the kitchen. Only water can be drank outside of the kitchen. They don't like this policy and I really don't care that they don't like it. Every now and then our oldest daughter has friends over for a sleepover and we'll make an exception and allow them to eat popcorn while they watch a rental movie in her bedroom.

As for visiting kids they all seem to keep the food in the kitchen. We haven't had any problems with neighbor kids following the rules. They probably have the same rules in their house.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,548,899 times
My kids are grown now but they were raised to we ALL sit down at the table together to eat. Now, I go to their house to eat, I sit at the table and they take their plates to the living room and sit in front of the TV to eat.. The term "table manners" has no meaning anymore...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM

15,776 posts, read 21,285,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My kids are grown now but they were raised to we ALL sit down at the table together to eat. Now, I go to their house to eat, I sit at the table and they take their plates to the living room and sit in front of the TV to eat.. The term "table manners" has no meaning anymore...
At least your kids use plates! Over the summer, I shared a small townhouse with a guy who could not clean up after himself and had no manners. The table was in the same room as the TV and couch and you had a perfect view of the TV from there- but he'd plop down in front of the couch to eat. Even worse, half the time he'd have the pot of whatever he made on his lap! Or he'd be holding a slice of pizza with no napkin or plate and getting it everywhere. Gross.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,224,553 times
...we also have DVR so nobody will miss whatever TV show is on. We just pause it or record it and round them all up to eat. We also face the kids away from the TV so they aren't distracted by it. And if the noise is a distraction we just turn the TV off. Dinner time is a time of family gathering. It's not a time for zoning out in front of the TV.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I tell my children's friends gently, while redirecting them back to the table that in our house all meals are eaten at the table. Haven't had a problem yet.
That's what I have been trying to do, and it works fine at mealtimes or when I am giving out the food, but when my kids' friends arrive at the door already eating/drinking but wanting to go straight into play or watch TV with my kids, (or the mother gets a snack out of her bag while we are sitting on the couch!) I feel mean and embarassed telling them they have to move or ditch the snack.

I just wish other parents wouldn't give their kids food/drinks while walking around someone else's house - am I just a neat freak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
At least your kids use plates! Over the summer, I shared a small townhouse with a guy who could not clean up after himself and had no manners. The table was in the same room as the TV and couch and you had a perfect view of the TV from there- but he'd plop down in front of the couch to eat. Even worse, half the time he'd have the pot of whatever he made on his lap! Or he'd be holding a slice of pizza with no napkin or plate and getting it everywhere. Gross.

Maybe his mother had an OCD about couch-eating - like me!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,190,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
That's what I have been trying to do, and it works fine at mealtimes or when I am giving out the food, but when my kids' friends arrive at the door already eating/drinking but wanting to go straight into play or watch TV with my kids, (or the mother gets a snack out of her bag while we are sitting on the couch!) I feel mean and embarassed telling them they have to move or ditch the snack.

I just wish other parents wouldn't give their kids food/drinks while walking around someone else's house - am I just a neat freak?
No I don't think you are neat freak. If they show up to the door with food, welcome them in and lead them right to the table til they finish their food. I would also be honest with the parents and say we don't eat in our living room or whereever but your children are more than welcome to take their snack to the kitchen/dining room. If you are a shoes off type person would you ask them to take their shoes off? No difference. imho

Old 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
No I don't think you are neat freak. If they show up to the door with food, welcome them in and lead them right to the table til they finish their food. I would also be honest with the parents and say we don't eat in our living room or whereever but your children are more than welcome to take their snack to the kitchen/dining room. If you are a shoes off type person would you ask them to take their shoes off? No difference. imho
Thanks - I feel it is reasonable too! I think eating at the table is a good thing all round; it's practical, sociable and respectful to the person who cleans the house and prepares the food - ME!!!

I'm going to keep on doing the same, and risk offending other parents, sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting