Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 04:42 AM

50,289 posts, read 63,832,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
She should've done a little research. It's the man's sperm that determines the gender. So the fact that girls run in mom's family doesn't mean anything.

I learned this when someone pointed out that King Henry VIII blaming his wives for not giving him a male heir was unfair, since HE was the problem.
Yes, but there could be something in the ovum that “selects” or let’s in one sperm over another.

My cousin had 7 boys before she threw in the towel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 05:21 AM

23,845 posts, read 33,490,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Jay and Kateri Schwandt are celebrating the birth of their first daughter, Maggie Jayne, who is the only girl out of 14 brothers. Source: CNN

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/1...n-orig-llr.cnn

Surprised they finally had a girl. I do wonder if they were trying for one. There are tons of tips online how to have a girl.

How To Conceive A Girl – 9 Tips To Conceive A Baby Girl

What’s the Right Diet to Conceive a Girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Odds of getting a girl = 50%
Odds of getting a boy = 50%

After having 3-4 boys in a row, thinking the next kid will be a girl is a Monte Carlo fallacy.

If they really wanted a girl they could have done IVF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
She should've done a little research. It's the man's sperm that determines the gender. So the fact that girls run in mom's family doesn't mean anything.

I learned this when someone pointed out that King Henry VIII blaming his wives for not giving him a male heir was unfair, since HE was the problem.

Back when I had my son in 85, they didn't regularly do ultrasounds so I never had one. My ex was pissed at me because I had a boy. I guess if I would have had a girl he may have been a father to her. Was never in my son's life. He ended up leaving me for his bar tender.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:43 AM

3,313 posts, read 1,810,030 times
My gf explained how she tried to up the odds of conceiving a girl by scheduling coitus right AFTER her period.
This MO is based on the assumption that boy sperms are lighter so would have a 'speed' advantage over the female sperms, so the former would arrive before the egg but the later sperms would be 'on time'.
Not sure how effective this MO is but she did bear two girls and then closed up shop.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 AM

16,058 posts, read 21,096,834 times
Only girl among fourteen boys, nope, no pressure there. Poor kid, she'll have so many expectations put on her.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 11,650,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
It takes more than money to raise children. There’s no way all those kids are getting what they need from those parents.
You can't assume that. One would need to do some research before concluding that people who came from big families were neglected, starved of affection, and unhappy with their family life. I don't think that's generally the case at all.

I'm one of seven and I never felt I did not get what I needed from my parents. Besides, having lots of siblings is great. It's highly underrated. Now that I'm older and both parents have passed away, which is bound to happen to everyone at some point, I'm so thankful for my brothers and sisters.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:51 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,878,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Only girl among fourteen boys, nope, no pressure there. Poor kid, she'll have so many expectations put on her.
Or she'll be an adored and indulged little princess, ruling over her 14 adoring brothers and parents with her every smile or frown, or God forbid, tear.

My cousins adopted a little girl after having four sons, and the princess thing was in full effect during her early childhood. Initially, the "Princess" was dressed to the nines, all frills and furbelows, and indulged with multitudes of toys and not taught manners or disciplined. She looked cute as a button, of course, but was not a pleasant child for a couple of years after her adoption. her brothers, on the other hand, had been taught manners and were well-dressed and given lots of love - but were never anywhere near being spoiled rotten, as was the little "Princess".

Thankfully, others (both in and outside of the family) tactfully addressed the issue with her parents and although the "Princess" never completely lost her role, she was no longer allowed to get away with anything her little heart desired and grew up relatively unspoiled. There was a considerable age gap between the youngest son and the "Princess", which didn't help matters as the older brothers all fell under her spell initially and joined in the indulgence of her every whim, since she was so cute and having a little girl around was such a novelty.

She's an adult now, and is blessed with a sunny disposition. No more temper tantrums if she doesn't get her way. Intervention and resulting change happened just in time with her, and now she laughs about having been the "little Princess" during her toddler days. She is close to her brothers and extended family, and unless you knew about her childhood, you wouldn't notice any evidence of her earlier years upon meeting her.

I hope the new arrival will be much-loved and happy, but not overindulged or allowed to get away with stuff that would bring down parental correction upon her brothers. And I hope her brothers will be close to her and that jealousy doesn't rear its ugly head.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:35 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,333,249 times
I think mom finally got smart or learned that it's the man that determines the sex of the child and took matters into her own hands.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think mom finally got smart or learned that it's the man that determines the sex of the child and took matters into her own hands.
Umm... I don't think we need to go there!

Old 02-06-2021, 06:05 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,056,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You can't assume that. One would need to do some research before concluding that people who came from big families were neglected, starved of affection, and unhappy with their family life. I don't think that's generally the case at all.

I'm one of seven and I never felt I did not get what I needed from my parents. Besides, having lots of siblings is great. It's highly underrated. Now that I'm older and both parents have passed away, which is bound to happen to everyone at some point, I'm so thankful for my brothers and sisters.
I’m not saying big families arent great. I have 3 siblings. That pales in comparison to your family, but was still a sizable number even in the 70s. I also enjoyed having siblings.

At some point, maybe you feel 15 isn’t large enough, there’s no way a parent can give adequate individual attention to each child. Imagine the home of your childhood with over twice the number of siblings you grew up with. And if any one of the kids has special needs, that’s a whole different level of attention. It’s like having a small kindergarten class.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I’m not saying big families aren't great. I have 3 siblings. That pales in comparison to your family, but was still a sizable number even in the 70s. I also enjoyed having siblings.

At some point, maybe you feel 15 isn’t large enough, there’s no way a parent can give adequate individual attention to each child. Imagine the home of your childhood with over twice the number of siblings you grew up with. And if any one of the kids has special needs, that’s a whole different level of attention. It’s like having a small kindergarten class.
Sure, if you have all 15 kids at once. But large families aren't like that, unless you have octuplets followed by septuplets. In my own family of seven, by the time I was old enough to remember (I'm the youngest), my two oldest siblings were married and the third was also out of the house. It's similar for this family. The six oldest "kids" are already over 18. Even the teenagers a little younger are going to be a lot of help. I'm sure it's still a ton of work (I only have three kids and it was a lot of work for a while!) but not near the level of having 15 preschoolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting