U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,225,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Birthday snacks are allowed at our school but nothing homemade can be brought in for the kids. It has to be store bought and sealed.
Can I just jump in and say this is my pet peeve?!

This is a state law in IL and I just find it SOOOO annoying.
The idea, I imagine, is to keep children from getting tainted food and then suing the school, but for crying out loud...

So now we have to buy something at the grocery store, where they do try to make cute stuff, but there are preservatives and packaging, and its mostly focused on sweets, and it just kind of makes the whole thing seem less authentic, not to mention less healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,446,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post

The idea, I imagine, is to keep children from getting tainted food and then suing the school, but for crying out loud...

So now we have to buy something at the grocery store, where they do try to make cute stuff, but there are preservatives and packaging, and its mostly focused on sweets, and it just kind of makes the whole thing seem less authentic, not to mention less healthy.
I totally agree. I don't like to cook but I LOVE to bake and my son loves my cookies and stuff. He would love for me to be able to send my own stuff in but I had to explain I can't. A lot of it has to do with allergies but I'm sure it also has to do with not everyone have the same level of sanitary habits. I actually started a Treats for Teachers program this year where we can bake and take stuff in for the teachers. Even some of them said they won't eat it b/c they don't know who is baking it I guess it's just safer all around to buy something and take it in.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 6,454,321 times
Quote:

While it is annoying I totally agree with it. There are many families I've known/seen who I would NOT want my child eating something they have prepared at home. Some were just filthy in general .....clothes...hair...cars...etc. I can only imaging how it would be the same in their kitchen.
Or those whose manners are atrocious. Do I want my child to eat something they have coughed/sneezed into? Or licked the spoon then stuck it back in the batter? Or even worse, not fully cooked the food and my kid gets sick?

No thanks, I'd rather have that item cooked in state inspected kitchen where I can be better assured it's safe for my child. Even if it's not the healthiest thing they could be getting...it's only one food item out of one week...no big deal.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,616,940 times
Quote:

While at my school we can't bring in food for birthdays, we are allowed to have 4 parties a year, and can ask for food for those parties. And yes, it can NOT be homemade food. Not at ALL because of the tainted food, or for the hygeine of the house that will be cooking (though they're good reasons), but because of the allergies of some kids. If you bake it at home, you're not going to make a list of ingredients to go with your food...whereas if you buy it packaged from a store, the list of ingredients is right on the box, so that you can easily read if it has some red color # dye, or something else that someone might be allergic to.

Per peeve or not, it's safer for children...in many different ways.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,433,139 times
Quote:

I agree! What happend to the good old day when we could bring in a ton of cupcakes and just be happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or