Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 03:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times

Advertisements

You and your son sound like peas in a pod. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 04:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We didn’t text then, but I certainly wouldn’t have agreed to send check in texts to parents with a daughter visiting my house. Sure, if a parent had texted me just to verify I was home and all was calm, I would have been fine with that. But nobody has the right to determine how you manage visitors in your home.
It seems like the OP was the one who suggested text updates while the girl was over, but her parents said that wasn't necessary.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:32 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You and your son sound like peas in a pod. Congratulations.
(shrugging shoulders)

Sure. Fine.

I bet if you told a few stories I could find something to judge you by too.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It seems like the OP was the one who suggested text updates while the girl was over, but her parents said that wasn't necessary.
That’s true. I asked for suggestions and I threw out a couple to see how they reacted. According to feedback from yesterday I did a good job. Parents are happy. Daughter is happy.

All’s well ends well.

Don’t like having to alter how I operate in my own house but it’s my choice to go along with it. There is no gun pointing at my head, just my son’s relationship...

Old 02-15-2021, 05:01 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default girls were bigger than me at 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I'm sorry, I can't make heads or tails of the original post. Or the second one. Are you ok?
my grandfather introduced me to all the neighbourhood babes, but they were farm girls and could throw me across the barn. And did. Plus I'd bring them home any way. My parents and grand parents were so cool. Hey, if they're inside your home you know where they are. Children, it's 2 a.m.; do you know where your PARENTS are??

Old 02-15-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
my grandfather introduced me to all the neighbourhood babes, but they were farm girls and could throw me across the barn. And did. Plus I'd bring them home any way. My parents and grand parents were so cool. Hey, if they're inside your home you know where they are. Children, it's 2 a.m.; do you know where your PARENTS are??
Sounds like my kind of place!

Old 02-16-2021, 02:35 AM

7,354 posts, read 3,525,357 times
Sounds like she has overbearing parents. Parents don't think she is ready for a boyfriend and are afraid of the extreme of what that means at that age.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:22 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I said in the beginning that times are different now. And they were different for my parents (Boomers). I've been a lot more interactive with my kids and concerned about areas of development in ways that my boomer parents weren't. This is not to say they were wrong, but as a collective parents today simply have more education and knowledge of growth and development than in previous generations.

It would be incredibly inaccurate to say I take a "completely hands off approach"... not when I bake a cake, clear my schedule (except for the dying dog... which did die overnight BTW...) and put on matching socks in the event that the mom might accept my invitation to come inside (had she come to the door).

My son and I are becoming friends. The mommy stage is over. He doesn't want that anymore. He wants someone who he can be honest and real with. He wants a safe judgement-free environment where he can vent. Sometimes opportunities are created where I can guide him too. But no getting around the fact that he's arriving at independence earlier than most kids. He's been consistent like that all his life. He reached developmental milestones very early... sometimes that's the way it is...
Without getting into a back and forth, it was my impression from your first and subsequent posts that you would take a much more relaxed attitude with your son and his girlfriend hanging out. And by 'hands off' I meant letting them socialize unsupervised. (baking a cake, clearing your schedule, or putting on matching socks wasn't what I meant).

I do think it's really important to establish a relationship where you and your son can honestly communicate with one another, but I have always thought that first and foremost, a parent is a 'parent,' and not a friend so much, at least not at 14, whether or not he is arriving at independence earlier than most kids.
His comment to you about his girlfriend's father's request to not hold hands seemed disrespectful and flip. You referred to it as 'gallows humor' (that's not what gallows humor is) and don't seem to have used it as an opportunity to 'guide.'

If it were me, I'd meet the parents in-person (or on Zoom, so you at least know what they look like LOL), discuss the romance and expectations and go from there. I would also educate my son about the importance of birth control, because this is where it might be headed, either with her or another young lady.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Sounds like she has overbearing parents. Parents don't think she is ready for a boyfriend and are afraid of the extreme of what that means at that age.
I'm sure they don't and are probably struggling that their daughter wants to be my son's girlfriend. Apparently she was pretty forward about it too.

Parents have best of intentions for their daughter. They are her protectors. I understand that.

Usually this doesn't affect other people -me specifically- but gez, how many movies, plays and other theatrical works have been produced covering the subject of in-laws?

TONS!

This is probably just a warm up!

Old 02-16-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Without getting into a back and forth, it was my impression from your first and subsequent posts that you would take a much more relaxed attitude with your son and his girlfriend hanging out. And by 'hands off' I meant letting them socialize unsupervised. (baking a cake, clearing your schedule, or putting on matching socks wasn't what I meant).

I do think it's really important to establish a relationship where you and your son can honestly communicate with one another, but I have always thought that first and foremost, a parent is a 'parent,' and not a friend so much, at least not at 14, whether or not he is arriving at independence earlier than most kids.
His comment to you about his girlfriend's father's request to not hold hands seemed disrespectful and flip. You referred to it as 'gallows humor' (that's not what gallows humor is) and don't seem to have used it as an opportunity to 'guide.'

If it were me, I'd meet the parents in-person (or on Zoom, so you at least know what they look like LOL), discuss the romance and expectations and go from there. I would also educate my son about the importance of birth control, because this is where it might be headed, either with her or another young lady.
Expectations have already been established. Phone numbers exchanged.

We clearly have a difference in what is important in relationships with our children. That's fine. Not judging you.. but in my own home my son is free to vent his frustrations however he sees fit. If your children have limitations in your home that's for you to figure out with them.

See how this works?

This is why I don't talk about parenting. We just are.. different... let's celebrate our "diversity in perspectives" (said with the fakest upper middle class mommy voice)....

And not talk about this with each other anymore... yeah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting