U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 PM

396 posts, read 906,189 times

Advertisements

It seems like our society has become a society where we pay others to take care of our sick, elderly and children. There was a time when the majority of kids stayed at home till they started school, we took care of our sick at home, and our elderly stayed at a child's home to age and be supported. If you talk to people from other countries they are horrified at how we have to handle our loved ones.
Now it has become the norm to put a child in daycare at a very early age for hours on end, to sign and elderly parent over to a care facility as well as the sick.
I think that the way we think, the way that we act, is because life has become so tough and so expensive that to keep going we have to work.
I am a single mom, and I have made it my intention to stay at home and raise my child, I struggle, buy my clothes at second hand stores, drive an old car, but my child does not know, and he is happy, and I know that the money will come back one day. I make just enough to get by... but that is not my point with this conversation.
I see a lot of children these days who are not being raised by their own parents, and I will say that as a single mom, I see a lot of double income parents who both work, drive great cars and live in great neighborhoods. I saw this when I worked in corporate and I see this now, and it is hard for me to understand because if I can do it, so can they.
I am not saying that one is right or one is wrong, but I do watch the news and I can see that kids are not as happy as they used to be. For one thing, they can't just go out and play because no one is home to keep an eye on the neighborhood so they are playdated, or don't go outside, task oriented, not exercising, kept busy, and put on ritalin.
What if we were to find a way to ask state and federal lawmakers to pass a tax credit for those who choose to stay home and forgo a salary in order to take care of our sick, elderly and children? Would that be too much to ask? I think it is time to start asking society to think about this, I think we have just gotten too used to passing off our loving responsibilites, not because we want to but because we have to.
As a feminist, I must add that this choice of caretaker is not meant for female, we are now living in a great time where women make enough so that a man can be the caretaker as well. Or same sex. But the term caretaker is meant to be male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I am not saying that one is right or one is wrong
Yes you are.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM

396 posts, read 906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Yes you are.
That really is not the point of what I am bringing up. In the end my opinoin does not matter.
I would like to know if people think a tax credit is a good idea, not to hop down my throat for my opinions.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,504,080 times
NO, it's not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or