Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times

Advertisements

PRIVACY my Lilly White Patootie......raising two g'kids.....boy 16 girl 13....they will have all the privacy they want when they live on their own......my house, my rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 20,718 times
We have very close times and we have times where she won't talk to me, like now. She says she loves me very much and the hardest thing about her plan to go visit him was knowing how it would hurt me.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 20,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
PRIVACY my Lilly White Patootie......raising two g'kids.....boy 16 girl 13....they will have all the privacy they want when they live on their own......my house, my rules.
Thank you - that's my feeling. She had privacy, and she abused the privilege. Until I feel I can trust her again I don't think she has the right to question what I do.

The hard part for me is that her Dad agreed with her....we're not talking right now either.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 AM

50 posts, read 131,387 times
Im no parent but I would of done the same thing. He could be a serial killer and she is only 16! He is waay too old for her even if they knew eachother in my opinon. And not to freak you out but if they were to have intercourse with eachother then he would be sent to prison and put on a sexual predator list for the rest of his life.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:56 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times
Either make sure there is some sort of parental controls on her computer or take the computer away from her and then inform her that until she is 18 years old and living on her own, she has to live by your rules, not hers, and inform your husband that he is shrinking away from his parental responsibilities, I'm just trying to figure out what kind of a father would let his daughter get away with something like this, especially after what has recently happened, does he not realize that there could have been a very real possibility that she could've ended up dead or doesn't he care, I don't think he's living up to his responsibilities as a father and a parent.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:28 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,242,895 times
My father would have killed the guy and after it was all said and done, I probably would have been wishing for my boyfriends fate! I can not imagine the fear that ran through your veins when you realized she was gone and on a plane!!

Have you considered family counseling? It sounds like you and your husband may need to talk to someone about ways to coparent more effectively if he is encouraging a relationship with someone that helped your underage daughter runaway and if he was unable to show a united front with you.

Good luck. I am so sorry to hear stories like this.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 PM

708 posts, read 687,433 times
privacy is very important for a teen and she needs it but she needs to be safe also. i would say give her privacy but dont let her have the computer right now..let her have the pictures. the computer is a dangerous place for young teens and right now shes very emotional and a computer isnt the right thing for her.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:55 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,416 times
A 24 year old man lets (or encourages) a 16 year old to run away from home, get on a plane and come see him. Noone who meant her any good would do such a thing. Why the hell didn't he get on a plane and come introduce himself? He's a predator. Nothing he has done is what someone who is concerned about your daughters safety, well-being and relationship with her parents would do. Your husband is shirking his responsibilities in the name of peace in the house (to keep your daughter from carrying-on). Can I ask where your daughter got the money for the plane ticket?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:57 PM

323 posts, read 2,088,872 times
As some have said...the guy could indeed be a nice guy!
But that's just BS if you ask me...what's a 24yo guy doing trying to meet an 16 year old girl...that's just ridiculous!

I'm sure she needs privacy as any young teen would, but seriously keep a very close on eye on her(without her knowing)
You could've just prevented a very bad thing, nice guy or not...
There's no reason a 24 yo should be lurking the net for 16yo's.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:00 PM

468 posts, read 1,636,954 times
To me, it seems really, really freaky. The fact she just picked up and left without telling you, her legal guardian about her whereabouts for the next few days...this guy must have some hold on her. And the guy must be some creeper also, knowing that she was 16, telling her to surreptitiously leave on airplane to 'visit him'. Wow...that's not cool.

You were absolutely correct in doing what you needed to do. You're still the legal guardian for another two years, so I don't really think it's even a matter of privacy. I don't think you need me telling you, but if you needed to hear it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting