Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 12:55 PM

424 posts, read 175,670 times

Advertisements

Mine were each 12 when they got their first phones. That was around the age when they might be going somewhere with a friend whose parent I didn't know well and I wanted them to have their own phones in case something came up.

These were dumb phones, by the way. They got smart phones a little later, maybe when they were 14/going into high school? I don't remember, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 01:59 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasedontreuse View Post
In my opinion we probably don’t fully understand the impact of a society full of people immersed in the digital/connected world from birth basically. Almost makes me think parents might be better off homesteading or something, unplugged out in some small rural town somewhere. As sort of a first generation person raised digitally I think it sorta does something to your mind.
I'm an old fudster when it comes to our modern technology, striving to live at home as if I am in the 1950s Aussie Outback (Skippy the Kangaroo).

Never the less, about 2005, I got my first cell phone. Why? I was becoming a full dive leader then and if something went down and it went down badly, the court was not going to like to hear that I believed I could get through life depending on my CB radio and pay phones.

So let's reverse the scenario of not me calling for help for those who are down but the down who must call for help. What means are available to them for that? Well, there are no more pay phones and after this pandemic, there is a serious question to which stores are open, assuming they would let their phone be used.

Is there someone like me, a "civilian guardian" they will be with, that they can turn to, that you trust will have the means to get a signal out.

If the answers to all these questions are rather negative and they are out there on their own, then the answer is probably that they should have a phone, if only to answer that message from you, "Request you report your position IMMEDIATELY."

Old 06-21-2021, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 425 times
It would be better to make your son get involved in other physical activities rather than giving him a phone. I would like to suggest asking him to chit-chat with your family members or neighbors so that he can develop his social behavior. Ask him to join in physical activities, art & craft, music classes, etc which he likes.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:11 AM

307 posts, read 213,772 times
My daughter is starting middle school and will have a phone with limited capabilities and no social media. I have no problems with her having one as long as it doesn't become a distraction at school. If it does, I'll take it away!!

Old 06-24-2021, 03:20 PM

45 posts, read 13,396 times
It amazes me how young they arew getting phones now......

I have seen someone who is 5 with one -- Yes 5!!! (The screen was cracked as he dropped it alot)

But more so I have seen probably 7 or 8yos with them all the time....... What do they need them for really??

Wow........ Someone who is 5 today is MUCH MORE technically knowledgable than most of us probably were at that age!

Old 06-26-2021, 11:44 AM

176 posts, read 134,219 times
11 but I purchased the gabb phone. Looks like a smart phone but no internet access, apps or picture messaging and it has a tracker so I know where my son is at all times.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:58 AM

30 posts, read 18,164 times
when the go to the middle school, then we their parents heving new ones and our old gets to our childeren

Old 07-03-2021, 02:05 PM

40 posts, read 26,300 times
mine will have a own cellphone when they are old enough to move to places in the neighbourhood to visit freinds or family alone with out parents, than will mine having a own cellphone for their own safety so that their can call for help when there is a problem

Old 07-24-2021, 11:02 AM

174 posts, read 97,113 times
I will give them a non smart phone in middle school.

Then in high school, they can have a smart phone with parental controls so long as they make straight As.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:50 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravarianpaisa View Post
I will give them a non smart phone in middle school.

Then in high school, they can have a smart phone with parental controls so long as they make straight As.
Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting