Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 11:38 AM

867 posts, read 718,472 times

Advertisements

If the answer is a universal "no," then I'm in big trouble. But I make sure my brothers and SILs get candy, too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 12:20 PM

21,885 posts, read 9,460,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I am an uncle and have a preteen niece and a preteen nephew.

Is it OK for me to send them candy and gifts without getting permission from their parents?

They all were in town, and I was supposed to take my niece and nephew to a famous candy store. I did, but it was closed for the night when we arrived.

I’d like to ship my niece and nephew some candy from that store, since they were apparently looking forward to it, but I don’t want to be going behind their parents to do so.

Thanks.
One of the things that drove me nuts when I was a parent of small children is everyone giving them candy without asking me. Everywhere we went. Ask. It's the right thing to do.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:07 PM

21,885 posts, read 9,460,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
As I was bringing my 4 y.o. granddaughter back from feeding the ducks around 10 years ago, my neighbour said, “Hey Jean, Bill’s filling the rubber paddling pool for our granddaughter, does Francesca want to come and jump in?”
Francesca’s face lit up, so I put my hand in my pocket and gave her a small candy bar to take in with her.
Almost immediately, little Evie next door appeared, saw Francesca’s candy and looked at me with enormous eyes.
I said, “Ask grandma if you can have some candy, if she says yes I’ll give you some.”
She said, “Why do I have to ask grandma?”
I said, “Because that’s the rules, I love you to pieces Evie, but if you want me to give you any candy, you have to ask grandma first.”
See that's nice, but you should ask the parent or grandparent first. If you don't, you put the parent or grandparent in the position of being the bad guy if they say no and set it up for a fight.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:34 PM

2,943 posts, read 1,628,674 times
Ask parents first.

When the kids are late teens that'll be different.

But for now check in with the parents first before sending anything to the kids.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:07 PM

15,066 posts, read 10,076,242 times
No.

I have twins that have allergic and digestive concerns. I wouldn't assume any child doesn't have similar concerns.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:45 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,591,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
See that's nice, but you should ask the parent or grandparent first. If you don't, you put the parent or grandparent in the position of being the bad guy if they say no and set it up for a fight.
I know that your heart is in the right place, and that you meant well, but my grandkid took the candy bar that I gave her and rushed into my neighbour’s house right behind my neighbour.
Neighbour’s grandkid then came out and begged with her eyes for candy from me, I could hardly ask her to wait while I ran it past her grandma, so I said, “Ask your grandma if it’s okay to take a candy bar from Francesca’s grandpa.”

Old 08-30-2021, 07:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,519,862 times
Speaking for the children --absolutely.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:43 AM

9,827 posts, read 7,690,016 times
When you got to the famous candy shop with the niece and nephew and it was closed, what was the conversation?

I would think you would have told them that you'd send them a box of treats since it was closed.

I'm thinking if the parents didn't have a problem with you taking them, they wouldn't have a problem with you sending them a package of candy. Get items that won't melt.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:58 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,430,076 times
No. Always check with the parents first.

My son has a peanut allergy and one day out of the corner of my eye i witnessed a relative (in their defense they didn't know as we don't see them often) offer my 3 year old son a (sealed) package of peanut butter cookies. I got there just in time before the package was opened and given to him. Could have been very bad.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:02 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,780,252 times
I am a parent and have a brother who has kids so I am also an Uncle. It has never occurred to me to ask if it is ok to send my nieces a gift. And My family members have never asked me if they can send my kid a gift. That seems odd to me, like they're not your family.

I thought this was going to be about non-family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting