U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM

430 posts, read 1,069,501 times

Advertisements

I work two nights a week third shift and my son is 15 will be 16 in Oct. I have one of my older daughters come because my husband is working in another state. With school almost done my son wants to babysit. WE live in a area that we have been in for 16 years and we live in a Mobile home park and have never had any problems we live in the country the same people have lived next to us for years. I leave at 10:00 and get home by 7:30 am and the kids are sleeping when I leave and when I get home. He would be sleeping on the couch in the middle of the house. My son doesn't use the internet and doesn't talk on the phone. I think he will be fine he is the big brother and knows the kids better because he lives with them than my daughter. My kids are 6, 5 and 16 months. I'm reachable by phone and my daughter is less then 7 mins away. I worry now when I leave just because it is at night and I'm not there. Has anyone else had this situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,626,136 times
i think 16 is old enough to babysit--even with a younger 16 month baby. he seems a responsible type, and the chances of something happening while they are asleep are not that great. if anything, he call 911 and then contact you

Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 AM

3,087 posts, read 6,658,940 times
Look at it from his point of view...if you were 15 would you want the responsibilty of keeping 3 kids 6 and under safe in the event of a fire, a tornado, a flood, an armed robber or rapist? You would in essence be making him a father of 3 along with all the responsibility that goes with it during those hours.

Personally I wouldn't take that chance, no matter how slim it might be. Perhaps if there were only one other child and that child was much older, but certainly not with a baby in the house and two very young ones. Too often we see the stories in the paper of a child not making it out because they were only in the care of another child. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take myself.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 PM

Trust me I already thought of that. We live in Michigan so we don't have too many tornadoes. I didn't ask him he approached me and I will most likley only let him one of the two nights and still have my older daughter come. My older daughter is 24 and there are times I think he will be better than her. The things I worry about is what I can;t control and I worry the same with me here as well and I worry when my daughter is here. WE live in a modular home it is not spread really apart and the next home you can throw a soft ball to.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,301,785 times
It sounds like you instinct is that your son is ready willing and able to take this on. If you didn't you wouldn't even be asking the question, right? It seems fine to me. We have a 16 y.o. boy babysit for us sometimes and my kids adore him. Not to say he never goofs up -- but that's how you learn!

Is there someone nearby (like your daughter) who could just be an emergency contact in case something drastic DID come up? (Or so you'd worry less?) I bet it will really benefit your son in terms of becoming a responsible young adult, too.

Having said all that - if it affects him negatively by stressing him out or he starts acting too big for his britches, you might want to go back to the old plan.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 AM

13,779 posts, read 23,742,599 times
My oldest son is 14 and he is our babysitter. I trust him completely!

Just make sure he has all numbers he would need just in case of emergency.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Yes my daughter is 7 mins away and there would be neighbors really close because we live in a mobile home park. Like I said I have taken my kids to daycare and cried as I drove away. I have a 27, 24, 21 year old who got the on bus each morning several years ago and I worried and they were home after school. Who hasn't in the world of working Mom's and Dad;s have had to resort to older kids babysitting. The biggest thing I worry about is fire and things we can't control and I worry about that if I'm home. I guess I'm still dealing with what to do and I may try it and see how I feel and how he feels after he has done it. I know it sounds silly but I would more than not let him sit during the day 8 hours just because I think he would have too many control issues. He has like a hour or two and it has been okay. I guess at night because the kids are sleeping it is more just being aware of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or