Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 PM

41 posts, read 206,153 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I moved to USA ( Naples, Florida) in February with my family. My boy is in 1. grade here. He is invited to a birthday - bowling party or something. We don't know how these things work here in US.

Are parents ( I ) supposed to join the kids at the party or do I drop him off and pick him up later ?? In Denmark where we come from, the kids usually have birthdayparties after school and the parents pick the kids up later...

What about presents ? How much / how big a present do we buy ?

Hope someone here can help- I have no idea how these things work here... and I dont know anyone here to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 04:14 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Are you supposed to meet at the bowling alley or the house of the birthday person? I personally would stay... Pay my own way and just kind of be in the backround....

Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
Hi. How old is your son? Six, I'm guessing. The parents are expected to stay when they're this young, otherwise there wouldn't be enough supervision going on. You should probably bring a gift, but don't break the bank. I don't know what 6-year-olds like, so I can't suggest anything specific. Your son will be your best guide here, but don't feel like you need to bring something big. That's what grandparents are for, I think. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Welcome to the States; I hope you enjoy Florida.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Oh, the gift should be modest. As far as the party is concerned, some offer a fun atmosphere for parents to meet and talk, while others are done in a way where parents just drop off the kids and leave.

That being said, if you're new to the community, it's a great way for you to meet other parents and get to know the other kids. After all, they'll probably be your son's friends for quite a while.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I think the best thing to do is ask the parent. Where we live, many of the boys are dropped off for the party.

As for a gift I would say anything between $10-$15 is good. Enjoy!!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Hi, and thanks.
Yes, my boy is 6- he doesn´t speak a lot of English yet, I'd like to join him. He doesn't wannar go without me because he doesn't understand a lot. We are meeting at the bowling place from 2-4 pm next saturday I think . I haven't talked to the parents yet but I will. If I'm going to be there I have to bring my 2 other kids as well ( 9 month old and 4 years old). I don't have anyone to babysitt. Don't know anyone yet I would trust to do so. My husband can't be home. The party is for the 7 year old kid from school and his 5 year old brother, they both have birthday this week I think .

Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 PM

29 posts, read 111,852 times
One of the things I usually do in regards to deciding what type of present to get is to contact the parent and find out what type of things he/she likes. That way you are sure to get something the kid would be interested in.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
The birthday party scene can get over the top sometimes. There are usually a lot of them, so you don't want to spend more that $15 on a gift, maybe even $10. Gift cards to Target or Wal-mart or some other store is common here or some plastic toy or Legos, or a sports item, like a cool ball.

You are supposed to RSVP to the party and at that time you can tell them about the other 2 siblings coming - if it's okay. The host usually gives gift/goody bags to all the guests and sometimes they want to give one to all the kids, sibs including, and will want to know how many kids are coming so they have enough and sometimes they don't, because gift bags can get pricey.

At some parties gifts are opened at the party and at other parties they don't open gifts.

There will be parents who drop off and parents who stay. It's nice to stay and visit with the other parents.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM

again, thanks..

Its nice to know what to do and what not to do... things are so different from what I'm used to in Denmark. I dont want to do anything wrong. My son doesn't really want to go but I think it could be a good idea to get out and have som fun.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamel View Post
again, thanks..

Its nice to know what to do and what not to do... things are so different from what I'm used to in Denmark. I dont want to do anything wrong. My son doesn't really want to go but I think it could be a good idea to get out and have som fun.
Oh, absolutely. It's usually a great way to make friends, and you'll get to know the parents as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting