Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 05:50 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila011 View Post
Thanks. It is discussed each year and his checkup. His pediatrician is not concerned at this point and says it's very normal at his age. As for limiting drinks and potty we are already doing that. In fact I have him go twice before bed as I have read sometimes they need to go twice to get it all out.
When our son will still wetting the bed at five, his pediatrician recommended a long, calm slow down at night.

Something to do with giving his body time to shut down the urine making operation.

Also, use regular diapers for heaven sakes. The pull-ups are for that potty training stage so you can get them down and back up easier.

Our two year old grandson is in pull-ups and he can't get them down by himself or back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 05:53 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
He knows this upsets you, brought back painful memories my parents did to punish, try to get my brother, at an older age. Do not remember when he stopped, being his older sister, felt sorry for him, helpless to intervene.

So! When my eldest son sucked his thumb, did Not say a word ! Do not remember when he quit, even his father didn't say anything.

Late three's, the same son quit using diapers. When a few months later, he was ill, wet his underwear. He was devastated ! Tried to explain, when you are ill, that sometimes happens.

My sons have children, all potty trained !

Old 09-21-2021, 06:37 PM

14 posts, read 12,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
He knows this upsets you, brought back painful memories my parents did to punish, try to get my brother, at an older age. Do not remember when he stopped, being his older sister, felt sorry for him, helpless to intervene.

So! When my eldest son sucked his thumb, did Not say a word ! Do not remember when he quit, even his father didn't say anything.

Late three's, the same son quit using diapers. When a few months later, he was ill, wet his underwear. He was devastated ! Tried to explain, when you are ill, that sometimes happens.

My sons have children, all potty trained !
Kids are super smart and pick up on tiny little things yes. But I can say for certain I have never scolded him for wetting his bed. It is truly out of his control, his body is just not making the hormone to stop urin production at night. The only time I have voiced any disappointment is when he would pee in the pull-up before falling asleep.

I’m sorry your parents punished your brother for something that was out of his control. I’m sure there is no kid on earth that wants to wet there bed. How old was he when your parents were punishing him and what did they do? Just curious. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:40 PM

14 posts, read 12,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When our son will still wetting the bed at five, his pediatrician recommended a long, calm slow down at night.

Something to do with giving his body time to shut down the urine making operation.

Also, use regular diapers for heaven sakes. The pull-ups are for that potty training stage so you can get them down and back up easier.

Our two year old grandson is in pull-ups and he can't get them down by himself or back up.

Thanks for the reply. There is only a few more of the goodnites left in this package. I’m going to save them for when we have company stay over and start using diapers for regular nights.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I’ve been using pull ups for several months since my daughter started turning diaper changes into professional wrestling matches. They don’t keep her skin as dry as diapers, so that’s the only reason I use them.

I buy the jumbo box at Costco, it’s considerably cheaper than the grocery store. She’s only recently begun taking them on and off herself at times. She was 2.5 in July.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

So, dumb question from a non-parent but I did wet the bed (occasionally) until I was nearly 10.

If pull-ups are recommended during potty-training (yes, duh) then it seems that NOT using them for a bedwetter would make it very difficult for them to actually get to the toilet or WANT to get to the toilet and avoid wetting. What is the incentive?

Yup, I get that pullups are expensive but it feels like giving up, for the parent and the child.

Just FYI, I did years of no liquids after dinner, no evening watermelon in the summer, etc. I also did the alarm clock at midnight thing. I finally was given imipramine to take at night and that did the trick though I know it doesn't work for all kids.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So, dumb question from a non-parent but I did wet the bed (occasionally) until I was nearly 10.

If pull-ups are recommended during potty-training (yes, duh) then it seems that NOT using them for a bedwetter would make it very difficult for them to actually get to the toilet or WANT to get to the toilet and avoid wetting. What is the incentive?

Yup, I get that pullups are expensive but it feels like giving up, for the parent and the child.

Just FYI, I did years of no liquids after dinner, no evening watermelon in the summer, etc. I also did the alarm clock at midnight thing. I finally was given imipramine to take at night and that did the trick though I know it doesn't work for all kids.
Note there is not much you can do for bed wetting except wait for the child's bladder to mature.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...plications.%20

No one knows for sure what causes bed-wetting, but various factors may play a role:

A small bladder. Your child's bladder may not be developed enough to hold urine produced during the night.

Inability to recognize a full bladder. If the nerves that control the bladder are slow to mature, a full bladder may not wake your child — especially if your child is a deep sleeper.

A hormone imbalance. During childhood, some kids don't produce enough anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) to slow nighttime urine production.

Urinary tract infection. This infection can make it difficult for your child to control urination. Signs and symptoms may include bed-wetting, daytime accidents, frequent urination, red or pink urine, and pain during urination.

Sleep apnea. Sometimes bed-wetting is a sign of obstructive sleep apnea, a condition in which the child's breathing is interrupted during sleep — often due to inflamed or enlarged tonsils or adenoids. Other signs and symptoms may include snoring and daytime drowsiness.

Diabetes. For a child who's usually dry at night, bed-wetting may be the first sign of diabetes. Other signs and symptoms may include passing large amounts of urine at once, increased thirst, fatigue and weight loss in spite of a good appetite.

Chronic constipation. The same muscles are used to control urine and stool elimination. When constipation is long term, these muscles can become dysfunctional and contribute to bed-wetting at night.
A structural problem in the urinary tract or nervous system.

Rarely, bed-wetting is related to a defect in the child's neurological system or urinary system.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:11 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If your 6 year old still wets the bed I have to ask why.

First stop would be a doctor to see if there's anything physically wrong.

Second stop would be behavior adjustment like no liquids after two hours prior to bedtime (especially with caffeine like Pepsi) and making sure he goes to the bathroom before bed.

https://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/han...eep%20sleepers.
are you aware that the link that you posted states

Quote:
If your child has always wet the bed and has never had 6 months or more of dry nights, there is nothing “wrong” with your child. This type of bedwetting is NOT caused by medical, emotional or behavioural problems.
and then goes on to say

Quote:
Does bedwetting run in families?
Yes. In fact, scientists have discovered a gene for bedwetting. A child with one parent who wet the bed when they were young is 25% more likely to wet to the bed. If both parents wet the bed as children, that number rises to about 65%.

When do children outgrow bedwetting?
Most children will outgrow bedwetting on their own over time.

At 5 years of age, 15% of children wet the bed.
By 8 years, 6% to 8% of children wet the bed.

Without treatment, about 2% of children still wet the bed by 15 years of age.
Does bedwetting need to be treated?
Usually not. The more important question is whether the bedwetting is a problem for your child. If bedwetting isn’t upsetting them, then you probably don’t need to seek treatment. Most children eventually outgrow it.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
OP, is your son able to use the toilet by himself when he's wearing the diapers as opposed to the pull ups? If yes, then no reason to not use the less expensive diapers. However, if he can't, then IMO it would still be worth using the pull ups because staying dry at night is generally going to be a process, not an event. But if he wakes up overnight and knows he needs to urinate but struggles with the diaper, he's going to be less inclined to get out of bed to use the toilet.

and fwiw, if the pull up was dry in the morning, I used to re-use it that night for bedtime. So that's a way to help with the cost.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:18 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
We used those waterproof pads with the soft, almost fuzzy surfaces under the sheets. It was a lot of laundry for a few months, but the cold wet woke them up and help them learn to recognize when they needed to get up and go to the bathroom.

The only advantage I've ever seen to the pull-ups is that you can reuse dry ones, for example when traveling in the car.

They don't look like they hold nearly enough for night time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting