Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Don't ask anything of a child you are not willing to do yourself.
Don't treat a child in ways you yourself would object to be treated.
(This is a good one for yelling, name-calling, shaming, humiliation, derision, criticism, hitting, spanking, punishment, and diminishment of any kind.)

Whatever you are asking a child to do, are you willing to do that yourself?

However you are treating a child, or speaking to a child, or whatever you are asking of a child.....consider how you would feel if you were being treated that way.
So following this model when does my child start work? I'm willing and have to work 12 hours a day so they should do the same right? Oh wait, the work environment might diminish them.
No critisism,punishment,yelling,humiliation or diminishment of any kind? You really can't be serious
I guess I should just place the little dickens up on a pedistal and give nothing but complements and high praise when he/she does what most any kid does from time to time like lying,breaking things,being disrespectful etc? How about when they refuse to mind? Take 'em out for ice cream?
Please spare me...
Children are not little adults, they are children and as such cannot be related to as an adult would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Stick to your guns.

If you say no, mean it and enforce it. In the same respect, don't say no if you don't mean it, or if you have no intention of enforcing it. Consistency is key!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 PM

560 posts, read 2,188,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So following this model when does my child start work? I'm willing and have to work 12 hours a day so they should do the same right? Oh wait, the work environment might diminish them.
No critisism,punishment,yelling,humiliation or diminishment of any kind? You really can't be serious
I guess I should just place the little dickens up on a pedistal and give nothing but complements and high praise when he/she does what most any kid does from time to time like lying,breaking things,being disrespectful etc? How about when they refuse to mind? Take 'em out for ice cream?
Please spare me...
Children are not little adults, they are children and as such cannot be related to as an adult would.
Thank you!!!! I thought I was the only one that was thinking this was a little off the wall. Kids are kids, show me a parent who never yells at their child and I will show you a child who runs the household.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:05 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No critisism,punishment,yelling,humiliation or diminishment of any kind? You really can't be serious. Children are not little adults, they are children and as such cannot be related to as an adult would.
Children are human beings in smaller bodies.
They are worthy of every courtesy, respect, kindness and dignity.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
When my daughter had an allergic reaction to a drug people are not usually allergic to, my dr. said, "She's not supposed to be allergic to this, but she didn't read the books." I generalized that to mean each kid is quirky and won't do things exactly by the book, any book.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:05 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my daughter had an allergic reaction to a drug people are not usually allergic to, my dr. said, "She's not supposed to be allergic to this, but she didn't read the books." I generalized that to mean each kid is quirky and won't do things exactly by the book, any book.
LOL I like that one too. When people said my son should be sleeping through the night at 8 months because that's what the books said, a friend would reply, "Well he hasn't read that book" I love it!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:06 PM

250 posts, read 335,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy234 View Post
What was the best advice you recieved that sent the light bulb on in you. Even if your children are grown up, in middle or high school, just post your reply.
Being strict will not harm them.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
Being strict will not harm them.
I think what DimSumRaja is saying is that you can set firm limits but do so with "courtesy, respect, kindness and dignity." You don't need to shame, belittle, berate, yell, and hit to be effective with disciplining kids.

I've noticed that my children respond really well to hearing, "These are the family rules," rather than, "You shouldn't do X."

Of course I can say this now but yesterday I was so tired I was snapping at my children and longing for a nap. Some days it is harder than others to live up to my theoretical parenting ideal.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
1) Give them progressive amounts of responsibility
2) Follow through and be consistent
3) Allow for natural consequences
4) Love them for who they are

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I think what DimSumRaja is saying is that you can set firm limits but do so with "courtesy, respect, kindness and dignity." You don't need to shame, belittle, berate, yell, and hit to be effective with disciplining kids.

I've noticed that my children respond really well to hearing, "These are the family rules," rather than, "You shouldn't do X."

Of course I can say this now but yesterday I was so tired I was snapping at my children and longing for a nap. Some days it is harder than others to live up to my theoretical parenting ideal.
Not all children are the same so I feel you should have a big "toolbox" full of things to choose from. If one thing doesn't work then switch to another. A swat to the behind is usually the last resort. As for shame,yell etc, if the situation calls for it then it's a tool that'll be used. I certainly am not going to reason with my child as he's runing into the street in front of a car (I would definately yell at him) just as I'm not going to tell my 16 yr old that he's the most precious brilliant child for taking the car, getting drunk with his friends and rolling it. That's STUPID no matter how you look at it wouldn't you say? Thankfully we've not had to deal with that but know several who have.
You see, yes children deserve respect when they earn it and disrespect when they earn that and sometimes a swat on the rear when the situation calls for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting